Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 08:43 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,232,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
I think it's the opposite, NYC is afraid of LA. That is why they come over to LA and do grass roots propaganda. Same reason Philly is left out of every "NYC Movie" and they always go halfway to trenton or like in Seeking a Friend for the End of the World they went to CAMDEN?

The reason "NYC has the best pizza" is because it is a staple american food and every time you eat pizza NYC wants you to remember that it is better there. All propaganda to bring in the best talent and make them pay their salary in rent.
They are too different to compare.

I love LA. I'll never leave again. But, in all fairness, NYC DOES have better pizza. And bagels. And Italian food.

For me, that's not enough to deal with the rest of it. But, different strokes, I guess. I weigh less here in LA than I did on the east coast, heh.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:49 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
I think it's normal. But the two cities are so different from each other. It may also be a matter of LA residents not appreciating their own city that much.

Before moving to LA, I had been to NYC countless of times and LA just once. I do love NYC, but I love LA too. But NYC is much easier to love.

I still might move to NYC one day, depending on the lifestyle I want. It'd be very different than living in LA. I've been in LA for 6 weeks and am loving it, just taking things one day at a time.

However I will be in NYC for a trip again this summer, and I look at NYC way different than I do LA.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:53 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
For every one Angelino who has moved to NYC there are at least 69 (obnoxious, chauvinistic) New Yorkers who have moved to LA.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:55 PM

12 posts, read 39,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
The problem comes from the LA locals themselves. There's a lack of civic pride in this city because it's so fragmented and transient.

Even when a New Yorker leaves NYC, they still carry the pride of being from New York. You don't see that pride when a Angelino leaves LA for somewhere else. It's like LA is a stop on the road for an entertainment career, or a landing point to immigrate.
As a local, I disagree. Although I live in the Bay Area now, I'm still proud to be from SoCal.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:00 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
The problem comes from the LA locals themselves. There's a lack of civic pride in this city because it's so fragmented and transient.

Even when a New Yorker leaves NYC, they still carry the pride of being from New York. You don't see that pride when a Angelino leaves LA for somewhere else. It's like LA is a stop on the road for an entertainment career, or a landing point to immigrate.
I agree but for different reasons. People haven't moved en mass like new yorkers did to LA.
And, go to a Nuggets Lakers game in Denver, lots of LA fans there like there are yankee or red sox or mets or cubs fans at Dodger Stadium or Anaheim.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:07 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,618 times
I'm damn proud to be an Angeleno- no hesitation. I'm all for civic pride and that, but LA just isn't as into NYC as some would think. Why should we be?

Old 04-01-2013, 09:20 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
I think it's the opposite, NYC is afraid of LA. That is why they come over to LA and do grass roots propaganda. Same reason Philly is left out of every "NYC Movie" and they always go halfway to trenton or like in Seeking a Friend for the End of the World they went to CAMDEN?

The reason "NYC has the best pizza" is because it is a staple american food and every time you eat pizza NYC wants you to remember that it is better there. All propaganda to bring in the best talent and make them pay their salary in rent.
There is that issue. My god is there a huge propaganda wagon pushing NYC as the greatest thing ever since Jesus Christ. It gets really really annoying. Then the whole LA sucks it has no culture image from Hollywood writers who spend way too much time in West LA and think the rest of LA is a ghetto wasteland.

I also have to agree about Philly. NYC and Philly are like an hour and a half apart and people go back and forth all the time. There is never any mention of it in NYC movies but jersey and Boston are more.

NYC is a great city but they overstate it way too much and downplay LA way too much in the media.

I also think its because a lot if Hollywood writers and directors and producers are from NYC so they just ape on NYC in movies. Woody Allen and Robert Deniri talk about NYC in their movies like its a hot chick, they can't contain themselves. It gets annoying.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:58 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
LA is its own world. in my circle, people talk about NYC for traveling or business purposes, but it's not glorified by any means. there is certainly no inferiority complex that I have picked up on. what i like about LA is the general lack of pretense with regard to other cities. we're relatively close to few other large cities but we couldn't care less. SD, an after thought. SF, thanks for the tech and that's about it. Vegas, a fun weekend away. Phoenix, blah.

The other thing about LA is that residents understand that the city has plenty of warts are mostly okay with it. we don't take the city too seriously and live our lives accordingly.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:19 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,369,526 times
Have you never been to New York?

Old 04-01-2013, 10:24 PM

363 posts, read 514,542 times
I wonder how many Angelinos have visited their beautiful historic Central Library? Or even knew they had one? Or that it's the largest public library in the West?

Average New Yorkers and other "legacy staters" generally know details of their city and state's histories and landmarks, which helps to foster that sense of civic pride that lacks in Southern California. (by "civic pride" I mean a cohesive sentiment shared by the whole population, not individuals. There's nothing like that here.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles