Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 07:39 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,628,805 times

Advertisements

I have never been to a city that advertises events going on in NYC from 2000 miles away. I saw a poster for a concert happening in Manhattan and I always hear about radio contests giving people two free tickets to New York City. The DJ talks it up like its the greatest gift ever because its New Yawk!!!

A local anchor woman was leaving for NYC last week and everyone at the station was like wow, NYC! They were acting like it was so amazing butt my first thought was but you're in LA!

I know this stuff is prolly all promotional but it just makes me wonder if a lot of Angelenos do not realize just how great LA is and that NYC is not that much better. They're equal cities but by the way writers play up NYC in the movies and downplay LA, the djs make NYC just seem like the rap Mecca and the news team was just awe struck at one of their anchors leaving for the big apple, I am floored at how under appreciated LA is.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:45 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
I wouldn't live in NYC for triple my salary.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:54 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,308,997 times
I grew up in NYC and any angelino that has an inferiority complex is just foolish. Why would anyone envy living in a city that has cold weather, filthy crowded streets everywhere, a rodent problem, and reliance on an annoying subway system.

Your post is wrong, they are not equal places, Los Angeles wins going away. Of course any New Yorker thats stuck over there will tell you how great the food is, as if there is no other place in the country to get a slice of pizza or a damm bagel.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:58 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,250,592 times
The wow was because she's heading to CNN in New York.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
I grew up in NYC and any angelino that has an inferiority complex is just foolish. Why would anyone envy living in a city that has cold weather, filthy crowded streets everywhere, a rodent problem, and reliance on an annoying subway system.

Your post is wrong, they are not equal places, Los Angeles wins going away. Of course any New Yorker thats stuck over there will tell you how great the food is, as if there is no other place in the country to get a slice of pizza or a damm bagel.
I didn't want to be a jerk about it but yes LA by a long mile.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
The wow was because she's heading to CNN in New York.
That is true but they started off by saying wow NYC the big apple yada yada...

The point is that there is a lot of praising NYC in the local media and from some transplants.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:23 PM

77 posts, read 119,926 times
On the one hand, I have certainly sense an LA inferiority complex from some posters on this board. But this is a self-selected group and many citydata forums are populated by pessimists about wherever they live.

That being said, having grown up and lived near NYC metro most of my life before recently moving to LA, I would say that contests/trips/etc to LA from NYC are also talked about with great excitement. Both are major cities which are very exotic to one another, and rightfully so.

All I'm saying is, I understand why it would be portrayed as super exciting to win a trip to NYC from LA, but in NYC it is also seen as super exciting to win a trip to LA!

Old 04-01-2013, 08:28 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,301,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
I have never been to a city that advertises events going on in NYC from 2000 miles away. I saw a poster for a concert happening in Manhattan and I always hear about radio contests giving people two free tickets to New York City. The DJ talks it up like its the greatest gift ever because its New Yawk!!!

A local anchor woman was leaving for NYC last week and everyone at the station was like wow, NYC! They were acting like it was so amazing butt my first thought was but you're in LA!

I know this stuff is prolly all promotional but it just makes me wonder if a lot of Angelenos do not realize just how great LA is and that NYC is not that much better. They're equal cities but by the way writers play up NYC in the movies and downplay LA, the djs make NYC just seem like the rap Mecca and the news team was just awe struck at one of their anchors leaving for the big apple, I am floored at how under appreciated LA is.
The problem comes from the LA locals themselves. There's a lack of civic pride in this city because it's so fragmented and transient.

Even when a New Yorker leaves NYC, they still carry the pride of being from New York. You don't see that pride when a Angelino leaves LA for somewhere else. It's like LA is a stop on the road for an entertainment career, or a landing point to immigrate.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:35 PM

4,515 posts, read 4,048,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post

I think it's the opposite, NYC is afraid of LA. That is why they come over to LA and do grass roots propaganda. Same reason Philly is left out of every "NYC Movie" and they always go halfway to trenton or like in Seeking a Friend for the End of the World they went to CAMDEN?

The reason "NYC has the best pizza" is because it is a staple american food and every time you eat pizza NYC wants you to remember that it is better there. All propaganda to bring in the best talent and make them pay their salary in rent.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:39 PM

363 posts, read 515,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
The problem comes from the LA locals themselves. There's a lack of civic pride in this city because it's so fragmented and transient.

Even when a New Yorker leaves NYC, they still carry the pride of being from New York. You don't see that pride when a Angelino leaves LA for somewhere else. It's like LA is a stop on the road for an entertainment career, or a landing point to immigrate.
Exactly.

In addition, I think it's comparing apples to oranges.
They are so radically different from each other, there's really no fair way to compare.
Two very different cultures; could as well be two different countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles