Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 03:18 PM

38 posts, read 98,618 times

Advertisements

After 30 months of renting a guest house in Tarzana, CA, I was given 30 day notification in December 2012 to vacate because my LL found someone who would pay her more. I have since moved on, but through research due to other extraneous circumstances w/ her and the move, I found out that my LL is not properly zoned (she has no permit w/ the city) to have renters. Question: Since she is illegally renting, is/was my being forced out as a tenant regarded as a "no-fault eviction" and if so, can I sue her in court for tenant relocation fees?

Q2: Since I lived there over 12 months, am I allowed to receive interest on my security deposit?

Thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 12:00 AM

8,549 posts, read 10,971,365 times
Since it was an illegal rental, all transactions are null and void.
It is as though you never lived there.
You have no course of action.
Bob.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:01 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,626,960 times
There is no permit needed if that's the landlords only rental in City of Los Angeles.

They need to have three units before they need a business tax registration.

And no, that's not basis to contest your eviction.

No they don't owe interest on the security deposit.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:15 PM

5 posts, read 13,847 times
Hello All!

I'm an adult living in my parents second home in reseda. It's a gated community condo around Tampa and Sherman way. I decided to rent out a room while I live in the place.

It's been a month and now the renter is suing me for illegally renting to her.

I need your help. Does she have a case? Was is illegal for me to rent to her.

Thank you

Maktgw112@gmail.com

Old 06-06-2015, 02:31 PM

Hi, the tennant is not suing for you for illegally renting to you. There's no such basis. Without more information your question is difficult to answer, but I can tell you that renting out a room in your residence is not illegal nor do you need a permit or any other permission. More than one room may or may not be a problem, but for certain one room is not an issue(though your conduct may be)

Old 06-06-2015, 02:38 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,332,982 times
I love reading tales from disgruntled renters who are on a desperate quest and mission to bend, twist, push, or shove some minor legal technicality into what is tantamount to getting a free ride. You want to live in SoCal? You gotta pony up one way or another. Nobody "owes" you anything.

Being a landlord is definitely not for the faint of heart. I know I'd never rent my house in part or whole to some nobody off the street. Not worth the exposure or hassle.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:45 PM

Thank you.

Johng72 - in April of this year I began renting to her. We signed a lease until October of this year.One month later she asked to move out. I agreed. Then she changed her mind and asked to stay one extra week. I agreed. Then at the end of that week she asked to stay but did not have the remainder of the rent. Now she has not paid and got a lawyer who told me my dads condo is zoned as a single family into and so therefore should not have rented.

I would like more of your advice!

Thank you!

Old 06-06-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makototron View Post
Thank you.

Johng72 - in April of this year I began renting to her. We signed a lease until October of this year.One month later she asked to move out. I agreed. Then she changed her mind and asked to stay one extra week. I agreed. Then at the end of that week she asked to stay but did not have the remainder of the rent. Now she has not paid and got a lawyer who told me my dads condo is zoned as a single family into and so therefore should not have rented.

I would like more of your advice!

Thank you!
What the lawyer told you is not legally correct. You can rent a room in your house in City of Los Angeles(which Tarzana is part of) to one border with no legal requirements other than you follow state and city guidelines as to tennants.

And even if it was not legally zoned and should not have been rented(which is not the case), I'm struggling as to how the tenant was damaged...you agreed to let her break the lease! So theres nothing to sue for.

I'd cease contact with her "attorney" and refuse to speak to that attorney, I'd make sure to document everything, and initiate eviction process starting with a 3 day notice to pay or quit.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:42 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,449,955 times
That sucks , hope it works out . Sadly there are a lot of people out there looking for a free ride or quick buck .
Renting is risk in LA because the laws seem to favor the tenants versus the landlord .

It's not the same everywhere .

Old 06-07-2015, 02:48 AM

Thank you so much for your help. I really do hope that I, in a post 1980 condo, can rent a room without such a hassle!

Thank you again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: