Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 08:05 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,461,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2O13 View Post
sorry i dont understand your formula can you break it down btw this is for LA cali. not the rest of the world. thank you

I know where i live it has to do with your income and the amount of the rent. Example if the rent is $1,000 you times that by 1.5 and your income will have to be $1500 or more a month to qualify .
Do people not pay taxes or eat in your world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 12:43 AM

335 posts, read 670,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Do people not pay taxes or eat in your world?
landlords dont put that into the can you afford their rent formula. most are looking to see if your income is 1.5x the rent or more.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:23 PM

8,564 posts, read 10,987,037 times
Not only do I take into consideration a perspective tenant's salary after taxes, but also their current debt, and monthly expenses beyond rent.
Things such as telephone, lights, gas, car payments, cable, food, etc.
All these expenses must be considered when renting.
Being able to "cover" the rent is not enough.
If tenants are not making enough to sustain these payments, guess which one is going to take a back seat to being paid on time?
Bob.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:28 PM

374 posts, read 721,963 times
sounds like she is very financially prudent.

"what is the max I am allowed to afford"

Old 04-14-2013, 06:32 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,234,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Not only do I take into consideration a perspective tenant's salary after taxes, but also their current debt, and monthly expenses beyond rent.
Things such as telephone, lights, gas, car payments, cable, food, etc.
All these expenses must be considered when renting.
Being able to "cover" the rent is not enough.
If tenants are not making enough to sustain these payments, guess which one is going to take a back seat to being paid on time?
Bob.
Hey Calguy, I'm curious. My husband & I are thinking about looking for a new place. My credit score is 780 and his is 809. Mine was listed as a C (according to TransUnion), and sort of implied that wasn't very good (said that 51% of Americans have a better score). His was listed as B. I called on a rental, and he asked me about our credit. When I told him our scores, he seemed flabbergasted. I thought because they weren't that good, and he said no, they're "off the charts great."

I don't really know anything about credit. Is this true?

Old 04-14-2013, 07:05 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,267,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
Hey Calguy, I'm curious. My husband & I are thinking about looking for a new place. My credit score is 780 and his is 809. Mine was listed as a C (according to TransUnion), and sort of implied that wasn't very good (said that 51% of Americans have a better score). His was listed as B. I called on a rental, and he asked me about our credit. When I told him our scores, he seemed flabbergasted. I thought because they weren't that good, and he said no, they're "off the charts great."

I don't really know anything about credit. Is this true?
Pardon me for jumping in, but to be clear, I don't think that is a FICO score, rather a different index TransUnion has called Vantage score. See here. VantageScore® - Consistency in Credit Scoring | TransUnion

I have a feeling the landlord assumed they were FICO scores. 780 and up are pretty much considered all excellent for a FICO.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:13 PM

!!! I thought I was paying for a FICO score!!

That's really awful. Nice TransUnion. Really nice.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:30 PM

So I just checked my FICO score. Mine is 706 and my husband's is 718.

How do landlords feel about that? Good? Bad? Iffy?

Thanks for your advice!

Old 04-14-2013, 08:13 PM

374 posts, read 721,963 times
740+ is the highest bracket for obtaining a mortgage. Not sure about rentals.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:19 PM

171 posts, read 530,806 times
I didn't know about this VantageScore thing. So, from some things I've just been reading here VantageScore vs. FICO Score - What's the Difference Between the VantageScore and FICO Score
it appears that in 2006 the three major credit bureaus - Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion - launched the VantageScore. So it isn't just TransUnion.

Also, I found this interesting. It's a FICO score calcualtor
FICO Score Estimator for home equity shoppers

Also, I've seen 2.5 times quite often for how much a person needs in income to rent an apartment. I was looking last year for an apartmen for my sister. The last time I rented an apartment, a long time ago, no one seemed concerned about my income. That was a good thing since for a couple of years I was paying about 75% of my income for rent, and that didn't include utilities. I lost weight during that time from having to sometimes eat so little. But, hey I paid my rent on time every month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
!!! I thought I was paying for a FICO score!!

That's really awful. Nice TransUnion. Really nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles