Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2013, 08:14 PM

68 posts, read 184,420 times

Advertisements

I found that I got a lot more acne and hair shed after I move to Los Angeles, and every time I travel, these symptoms stop. I was thinking, maybe it's the pollution. I live near the LAX. Are shower filter and air filter (for my room) worth it for West LA residents?

If yes, recommend me some good filters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 09:11 PM

39 posts, read 93,010 times
Water filtration is a necessity for me. Drinking, bathing, everything. I don't even drink bottled water anymore because it's essentially just as bad as tap water. A friend of mine recommended a great shower filter to me called PureH20. I've seen the difference in my skin, and I highly recommend it.

PureH2O? Shower Filter from Market America at SHOP.COM

Old 04-16-2013, 09:11 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
How much is shower filter?

Old 04-16-2013, 11:30 PM

It depends on the brand, but the one I am thinking of is $30.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:03 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
My daughters skin went crazy when she moved to LA. She saw a dermatologist who put her on some meds and told her it's a common reaction. I couldn't believe it when she told me but apparently she was right.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:45 AM

Common reaction? I am not surprised, it's pretty common among my friends as well. One was from Orange County, not too far, but she got acne for the first time in her life after moving here. Another is from Hawaii, and he began shedding hair. After hearing all these, I decided that I better do something for myself.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:47 AM

671 posts, read 1,189,851 times
How about you home plumbing. As in galvanized piping vs. copper. Most homes from about 1950 until about the late 1970's had galvanized piping because it is cheaper. CA required copper piping for all new housing units in the late 1970's, I think. Galvanized piping is a know carcinogen, ruins appliances, gunks up showers and all faucets, and can smell bad, and it is even noticiably a rust color if the shower head has not been replaced recently and can even make you SMELL by bathing in it. I actually got to see galvanized pipe vs. copper in our home. MY GOODNESS. The "crap" that was in the galvanized (always stopping up the shower head and kitchen faucet with those stinky particles) while the copper was CLEAN as a whistle. We most likely will copper soon. I'm just throwing that out as a possibility because I couldn't figure out why our tap water STANK and tasted so AWFUL, yet the 1903 house in LA I was raised in has fine tasting water, as did an apartment my aunt had in another part of LA, her tap water yummy. I've since found it was galvanized vs. copper. We spend bucks changing shower head no less than ever 2-3 months and on expensive Brita filter at the kitchen tap and I won't tell you what it has done to the washing machine. Just an idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles