Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 01:18 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times

Advertisements

I just spent about four hours driving from wood hills to San Diego today and noticed how unkempt the freeways are. There was trash, untrimmed palm trees,etc. why don't they clean this up, use the jail prisoners or illegals to clean it up? OC and SD counties were much cleaner. Why can't Los Angeles get it together?

Last edited by wehotex; 04-20-2013 at 01:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 01:37 AM

810 posts, read 1,341,841 times
Concrete can only be so appealing. I noticed LA has a lot of faded curbs too, usually the red is cracking/peeling.

Sort of adds to the noir effect, somehow. LA is magical =)

Old 04-20-2013, 06:06 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
*LA freeways have character.

Leave them alone. I'd hate for them to become sterile like everywhere else.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:41 AM

139 posts, read 300,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I just spent about four hours driving from wood hills to San Diego today and noticed how unkempt the freeways are. There was trash, untrimmed palm trees,etc. why don't they clean this up, use the jail prisoners or illegals to clean it up? OC and SD counties were much cleaner. Why can't Los Angeles get it together?
Too many knuckleheads that junk it right up after cleaning.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:46 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,488,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
*LA freeways have character.

Leave them alone. I'd hate for them to become sterile like everywhere else.

^^^^^^
This!

Old 04-20-2013, 08:10 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
If you took I-5, you would have been driving on a 60+ year old highway (back when the I-5 freeway south of LA was US 101 to San Diego) through some of the older (and in some case rougher) neighborhoods. If you took I-405, there is some graffiti zones a lttle north of LAX.

Another thing, the freeways Los Angeles County weren't upgraded as were the freeways in Orange County (this is extremely evident when you cross the county border). Heading south in to OC on the 5 all of a sudden you go from three lanes to about six wide, modern lanes. LA County is in the process of widening I-5 on the south side of LA County. This is going to be a huge job.

Finally, it's all about money. The state is in a "financial crisis" (whatever that means).

It would be nice having "Cool Hand Luke" jail guys out there cleaning up - of course pedestrians on freeways, not matter who, is risky.

You can (and I do all the time) call in to report graffiti, trash, illegal signs, broken infrastructure, etc to Caltrans on this easy to use website:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/maint/msrsubmit/

Old 04-20-2013, 08:27 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
I had a relative that moved out of la and hadn't been for a while
She noticed that the areas around the highways and medians of streets don't look maintained

When you live somewhere daily it's sometimes hard to see the changes
But I do think they used to spend more time maintaining and seeing crews cleaning up was common.

Now it seems the city has given up.

Some might think of this as a small thing , but it's a form of blight.

I was in oc recently and noticed again how nice they maintain highways and streets.

Also I believe in the broken window theory that when people see trash and litter , graffiti etc they are more likely to not care and do the same thing.

Hopefully once this big freeway projects are done they will also clean up too, who knows though.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:49 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times
A) L.A. has some of the oldest freeways in the nation. Many of them are antiquated, both in look and in function. This is why they have a funky shopworn look.

B) It is the most heavily used freeway system in the country, by far. As such, the wear and tear will be more pronounced. Same with our surface streets. The L.A. region has a higher population than most states, nevermind cities. With that size comes unique infrastructure issues. That's just how it is.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:33 AM

268 posts, read 889,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
A) L.A. has some of the oldest freeways in the nation. Many of them are antiquated, both in look and in function. This is why they have a funky shopworn look.

B) It is the most heavily used freeway system in the country, by far. As such, the wear and tear will be more pronounced. Same with our surface streets. The L.A. region has a higher population than most states, nevermind cities. With that size comes unique infrastructure issues. That's just how it is.
I can understand the roads but what about the palm trees that haven't been trimmed since the 70s and general lack of landscape? I'd like to know where my state income taxes are going that I pay into while I'm working in California?

Old 04-20-2013, 11:55 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah1979 View Post
I can understand the roads but what about the palm trees that haven't been trimmed since the 70s and general lack of landscape? I'd like to know where my state income taxes are going that I pay into while I'm working in California?
Yes, I noticed that too! But even OC had some of those as well. Maybe they should introduce some drought tolerant plants. Maybe put some barbed wire around the murals? and clean those overhead exit signs once in a while. OC's were clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles