Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 01:38 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Wait, so having a NFL team would contribute towards LA having a world-class status? NFL is really only big here in America.
the NFL is a failure globally. It's only popular in North America. Call me crazy but I wouldn't be surprised if American football went the way of horse racing and boxing, both of which were the dominant sports during the first half of the 20th century.

There's so much going against American football now with all the science coming out about head injuries and how poorly the league has handled it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 08:23 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,491,104 times
LA sports basically is a hot bed of basketball and ice hockey and to be honest, the NFL has been away for so long that people in LA don't even really care about it that much

Old 04-23-2013, 10:51 AM

1,830 posts, read 2,152,122 times
LA is a hot bed of every sport in reality and we do love our football. Just look at all the people that pack the stands for UCLA and USC football on saturdays.

Does LA need the NFL? Definitely not, but it would certainly be nice to have a team. I know we aren't some desperate midwest town that badly needs a team to have any kind of relevance, but still, having a team for that extra civic pride would be nice.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:51 AM

23,543 posts, read 24,041,250 times
Definitely. When the Raiders and Rams were in LA, I went to their games when I lived in Southern California.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:00 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
I think the stadium should be built in the valley. Downtown already have Staples/Nokia/L.A Live/ etc

The valley has a lot of space but nothing like this and I think it could actually help the economy.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the fan base that would go to the games already lives in the valley.

I'm not a football fan really...but to say that Football is a dying sport just seems crazy.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:12 PM

139 posts, read 300,683 times
The AEG idea was TERRIBLE. It never had any real traction other than soundbites and quotes of people saying it is a great idea but get lets be real. If its so great how come nobody moved on it. How many stadiums are built in the middle of congested areas like Downtown L.A. How could they compete with other stadiums that have room to expand if necessary. L.A. has grown so much, even though it is not a popular idea it needs to be out there by Industry. Room to tail-gate and expand plus no traffic woes as a downtown location would produce. L.A. should have a team!!!!!!

Old 04-23-2013, 06:30 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,719 times
I agree that a city doesn't need a football team to be considered world class. Personally, I don't care for football so not having a team is fine by me. We've got the Dodgers and the Lakers (yeah, I know, the Clippers too). That works for me.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:32 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
And the KINGS ...and USC + UCLA football..

Old 04-23-2013, 07:07 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,948,025 times
In Pro sports, LA is almost evenly torn between the Lakers and Doyers err, I mean Dodgers.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:20 AM

1,830 posts, read 2,152,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint100 View Post
The AEG idea was TERRIBLE. It never had any real traction other than soundbites and quotes of people saying it is a great idea but get lets be real. If its so great how come nobody moved on it. How many stadiums are built in the middle of congested areas like Downtown L.A. How could they compete with other stadiums that have room to expand if necessary. L.A. has grown so much, even though it is not a popular idea it needs to be out there by Industry. Room to tail-gate and expand plus no traffic woes as a downtown location would produce. L.A. should have a team!!!!!!
I think Farmers Field is a great idea. Not only for the continue revitalization of downtown, but for the expansion of the convention center which would bring in so many more events. Final Fours, Super Bowls, etc in the heard of LA sounds great to me.

The reason why nobody has jumped yet, is because the stadium was barely approved last fall and for some reason Anschutz but AEG up for sale. This next offseason will show how serious he and the NFL is about the plan.

Tailgating? Please. This is LA, we make our own trends, we don't need to follow those from boring little midwest towns. We'll find plenty to do in downtown LA. Plus, who can forget public transit? By then, it will be even better and downtown LA will be the heart of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles