Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2013, 12:11 PM

816 posts, read 1,396,288 times

Advertisements

I'm a 24 year old male and am currently a full time student at Citrus College in Glendora. I live with two roommates, so rent is rather affordable for me. Split three ways, I pay no more than $450 per month and that includes all the utilities.

But my lease is up in about 8 months and I am going to be moving out on my own and determined that I could not afford a studio here in the SGV, so I will transfer to another community college in L.A., most likely LACC. I would not like to pay much more than $700 a month for a studio, but if absolutely necessary I will stretch it to $800 or maybe even $850ish. I know that most of you are going to say that I won't be able to get a place for $700, but I disagree. I've been browsing Craigslist and have found plenty for that.

So what I like in my neighborhood is urbanity. I am SO tired of the boring perfect suburbia sprawl land that they call the San Gabriel Valley (West Covina to be exact). I live near the United States' second largest city and I want to feel like I am in a large city. I do not care if my neighborhood is a little ghetto or rough around the edges and I actually PREFER it to be that way. Now that does not mean I tolerate crime. I know crime happens everywhere and is unavoidable, but I'm sure gangs could be avoided for the most part and that is what I would like to do. I don't want to have to worry about getting caught up in gang crossfire as a pedestrian or what not. I want to be able to walk my neighborhood at most times of day and night and be able to feel somewhat safe and not have to guard my wallet or fight off bums.

So what do you guys think?

I've found many affordable studios in mainly the central/southern/direct eastside parts of L.A. such as K-Town, Westlake, some Echo Park, East Hollywood and some other parts of Hollywood, Highland Park, East L.A., Boyle Hts., down south near USC, and Mid-Wilshire/Mid-City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 12:40 PM

223 posts, read 470,831 times
You should check out the downtown Pomona Arts district. It's an Urban feeling area, affordable, and relatively close to what I feel is the best junior college in the country, Mt. San Antonio College.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:41 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,627,258 times
Koreatown would be your best bet. It's not that crime ridden but there are pockets you have to watch out for. See if you can get some financial aid to help out with living expenses. I think they aid you in subsidizing some housing if I am not mistaken.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmblackflag View Post
You should check out the downtown Pomona Arts district. It's an Urban feeling area, affordable, and relatively close to what I feel is the best junior college in the country, Mt. San Antonio College.
Yea I did actually see a few studios in Pomona in my price range, but I just figured that Pomona was just like the rest of this area... sprawly and suburban. I'm gonna have to check out that art district though. Thanks!

Old 05-09-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Koreatown would be your best bet. It's not that crime ridden but there are pockets you have to watch out for. See if you can get some financial aid to help out with living expenses. I think they aid you in subsidizing some housing if I am not mistaken.
I am also thinking Koreatown. It seems to be the most affordable and also the most urban within my price range. I actually collect $2000 a month from the government as long as I am a full time student. Definitely pays to be a veteran! lol

Old 05-09-2013, 01:26 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,015,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrong View Post
I've found many affordable studios in mainly the central/southern/direct eastside parts of L.A. such as K-Town, Westlake, some Echo Park, East Hollywood and some other parts of Hollywood, Highland Park, East L.A., Boyle Hts., down south near USC, and Mid-Wilshire/Mid-City.
If you're OK with the neighborhood and caliber of apartment you get for $700-800 in these areas than go for it. One or both of those things are usually a hangup for people asking for advice on these forums. You know, the type of people asking for nice, safe, gentrified areas where they can get a "cute" studio for $700 a month in LA.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
If you're OK with the neighborhood and caliber of apartment you get for $700-800 in these areas than go for it. One or both of those things are usually a hangup for people asking for advice on these forums (usually people moving from areas with much cheaper rentals.)
I haven't physically been in these areas, but I have a general idea what they're like from reading around here and was just seeking more opinions about which area is more for me. I know I have to actually venture out there and explore them and I definitely will soon. I still have plenty of time before this lease is up and I'm just researching for now.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:37 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,015,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrong View Post
I haven't physically been in these areas, but I have a general idea what they're like from reading around here and was just seeking more opinions about which area is more for me.
I would start going down there on the weekends to get a feel for the areas. Don't just move there site unseen. You may even want to start looking at apartments to get a feel for what your limited budget gets you. Trust me when I say small, low resolution pictures on Craigslist aren't a substitute for seeing an apartment in person. Of the places you listed I'd put Hollywood, Echo Park, East Hollywood and Highland Park at the top although at your budget I wouldn't expect to find a diamond in the rough in any of these areas.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
I would start going down there on the weekends to get a feel for the areas. Don't just move there site unseen. You may even want to start looking at apartments to get a feel for what your limited budget gets you. Trust me when I say small, low resolution pictures on Craigslist aren't a substitute for seeing an apartment in person. Of the places you listed I'd put Hollywood, Echo Park, East Hollywood and Highland Park at the top although at your budget I wouldn't expect to find a diamond in the rough in any of these areas.
Definitely agree! Trust me I will not move in sight unseen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles