Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 11:20 PM

199 posts, read 400,464 times

Advertisements

For all the "wait til you have to deal with it" comments, I've already mentioned that I'm awoken every Saturday morning by my neighbor's gardener. Do I moan and whine? No, I shut the window or get up. That's life.

Again, what do you suggest is done about it? The law is you're allowed to start making noise at 7:00am. Are you saying that should be changed? If so, to what time, and how do you arrive at that choice? Is 8:00am the magic hour? If so, what about all those folks that like to sleep til 9? If noon is the magic hour, what about the folks working the night shift who are at home trying to sleep at that hour? Maybe leafblowers should only be allowed from 5pm to 6pm? But what about the folks trying to have a nice dinner being annoyed by the noise?

The fact of the matter is that it's always going to bother someone. What some of you are suggesting is just passing the buck. You're cool with it being a nuisance to someone else, as long as you get your extra hour of sleep. You're also cool with being a nuisance to the gardener who's just trying to make an honest living instead of standing in the welfare line playing with his iPhone while waiting for a handout.

Newsflash:
-Some people work more than 8 hours a day. Starting later isn't an option.
-Some people work in a non-air-conditioned environment. Completing jobs before the full brunt of the mid-day heat hits could be required.
-Some people don't want to sit in traffic for 2 hours each way. They hit the streets earlier to avoid it.

^ All of these are common sense for normal folks who make an honest living. Unfortunately, there are more an more lazy sacks who sit around all day doing nothing except complaining about their situation, and it's their voices that are heard because everyone else is too busy working to whine and pout.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:25 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
Starting later is indeed an option -- is there a law stating that at 7am leaf blowing shall commence? It's greed and lack of consideration for others which starts them making an atonal wall of sound at 7am.

If the heat bothers them, they may take some time off, but that doesn't justify them starting early and disturbing others just because they can't be adults and tolerate temperatures that are slightly uncomfortable.

If they don't want to sit in traffic like the rest of us, then they should perhaps move someplace where there's less traffic. Whining about traffic isn't justification for being inconsiderate of others.

BTW, how does it feel to have your own arguments thrown back at you?

Old 06-03-2013, 07:59 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Starting later is indeed an option -- is there a law stating that at 7am leaf blowing shall commence? It's greed and lack of consideration for others which starts them making an atonal wall of sound at 7am.

If the heat bothers them, they may take some time off, but that doesn't justify them starting early and disturbing others just because they can't be adults and tolerate temperatures that are slightly uncomfortable.

If they don't want to sit in traffic like the rest of us, then they should perhaps move someplace where there's less traffic. Whining about traffic isn't justification for being inconsiderate of others.

BTW, how does it feel to have your own arguments thrown back at you?
Perhaps the gardeners need to be done by a certain time and don't want to risk their jobs to satisfy the general public. I do understand it is annoying but work has to be done.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:03 AM

934 posts, read 1,128,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Well, lawn mower isn't specifically listed. Are riding mowers considered a "vehicle"? There are restrictions on leaf blowers. There are some time restrictions such as garbage collection and construction which much start no earlier than nine, but nothing that specifies lawn mower. Is it a loop hole and they are doing it legal? Or does it qualify as a nuisance noise and they are just ignoring it? There's phone numbers on that link.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Starting later is indeed an option (So is not being a lazy sack who sleeps in and contributes nothing) -- is there a law stating that at 7am leaf blowing shall commence? (Yes, the law specifically says leafblowing is allowed to start at 7am on a weekday and 8am on a Saturday) It's greed and lack of consideration for others which starts them making an atonal wall of sound at 7am. (Providing food and shelter for one's family takes precedence over letting random lazy good-for-nothings sleep in. Sorry for the reality check.)

If the heat bothers them, they may take some time off, (Likewise, if the noise bothers you, perhaps make yourself useful to the world so that you can afford a place out in the countryside away from leafblowers.) but that doesn't justify them starting early and disturbing others (See law mentioned above. You apparently missed it.) just because they can't be adults and tolerate temperatures that are slightly uncomfortable.

If they don't want to sit in traffic like the rest of us, then they should perhaps move someplace where there's less traffic. (Or just leave earlier. That way they get to stay AND annoy you. It's win/win.)Whining about traffic isn't justification for being inconsiderate of others.

BTW, how does it feel to have your own arguments thrown back at you? (I must've missed it because all I saw was you making nonsensical half-sarcastic arguments to make up for a lack of real ground to stand on.)

Old 06-03-2013, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynach View Post
There are some time restrictions such as garbage collection and construction which much start no earlier than nine, but nothing that specifies lawn mower.
Wrong. Garbage collection is allowed to begin at 6:00am and construction at 7:00am. It says so right in your link. What were you reading?

Also, FYI, gas-powered leaf-blowers are illegal. The reason you still see them being used is because the police have real issues to deal with instead of ticketing gardeners. Also, many customers encourage the gardeners to use them because it cuts down on the time and cost. Yeah, it sucks listening to one buzz around your house, but it also sucks having to pay the guy an extra $30 to do a crappy sweep job.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:38 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashi View Post
Did you even bother reading the previous posts in which we discussed working late, the duration and type of sound leaf blowers emit, etc., rather than just try to hit me with immature, thinly veiled ad hominems?

Old 06-04-2013, 01:36 AM

374 posts, read 721,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatUnwashed View Post
Hah love your sarcasm and hint that only successful, hard working grown ups are up at 7am every day. Sounds like you're someone who is up at 7am and this doesn't affect you. You must be bitter about your extra long commute.

I only started this topic to question the current rules as I couldn't easily find something online. My complex is currently renovating rooms as tenants leave and I never hear them at 7am. Figured maybe the gardeners here could be breaking the rules.

That gas powered leaf blower is indeed loud, and does indeed run for a good 15 minutes. If you aren't up when it goes off, you will be! And who doesn't value their sleep? We all work hard regardless of what time we start and 7am just seems to early to wake up every tenant in the building.

Really wish I had over a million to buy a house on the west side so I could dictate when the gardeners show up.
I am up at around 7:30 AM. However, my house is in the mountains and I schedule my gardener for Wednesdays at 10 AM. My commute is about 25 minutes but I deemed it worthwhile to live in this area. The peace and quiet is great.

However, if I lived around other people, I would not demand that they comply with my sleep schedule when whatever they are doing is perfectly legal. You can either save up a few hundred grand and move into the mountains, or save up a few hundred dollars and buy some noise cancelling head phones

It's just going to be one of those facts of life for city dwellers.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:56 AM

223 posts, read 470,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashi View Post
Wrong. Garbage collection is allowed to begin at 6:00am and construction at 7:00am. It says so right in your link. What were you reading?

Also, FYI, gas-powered leaf-blowers are illegal. The reason you still see them being used is because the police have real issues to deal with instead of ticketing gardeners. Also, many customers encourage the gardeners to use them because it cuts down on the time and cost. Yeah, it sucks listening to one buzz around your house, but it also sucks having to pay the guy an extra $30 to do a crappy sweep job.
This whole complaint really stemmed from the gas-powered leaf blower. Had no idea it was illegal to begin with so there is the problem right there.

I'd rather the building owner pay the gardener an extra 30 bucks to do the sweep-job and pass the split cost onto the tenants in the building. What is that, an extra 3 bucks a month so the gardener follows the law and I can sleep peacefully?

Also Mashi, you're classless. Love your sarcasm and ad hominem's....

Old 06-05-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatUnwashed View Post
Also Mashi, you're classless. Love your sarcasm and ad hominem's....
You call it classless, I call it real talk. I'm not too fond of folks who want to live the Beverly Hills lifestyle on a Pacoima budget. The city is full of whiners who want peace, quiet, and everything in between while paying $900/month for some roach-ridden hovel in the grimiest parts of the city. Newsflash: Putting up with other people's BS is one of the downsides to living in a crappy situation. If you want to be awakened by the birds gently chirping at your window then you do like Ingenere mentioned above and find a nice place in the country. Of course, affording a place like that would require you to wake up before most of the working world has already had their lunch, so you have a decision to make: Either step up and do what it takes to better your life, or accept what you've got and stop complaining. Nothing classless about that. I'm just giving you the common sense that your parents should've given you to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles