Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2013, 12:58 PM

12,785 posts, read 15,010,201 times

Advertisements

I have to be in DTLA at 7 AM this Wed for a job interview. I'll be on the 10 west fwy practically the whole time. I plan to leave the house at 5:30 AM. Will the traffic likely move along at that time of the morning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 01:26 PM

223 posts, read 471,088 times
Leaving that early you'll get there on time, probably even a half hour early.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:35 PM

215 posts, read 475,581 times
Why not take Metrolink to Union Station and take either the subway or bus from there? I would check to see how close this place is to the subway, it maybe worth using public transportation.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:01 AM

671 posts, read 1,191,559 times
I've family who commute exclusively by Metrolink every work day and would have it no other way. I would really suggest Metrolink to save you some problems, it can be a tough commute. Just about everybody transfers to the Metro Subway to their downtown offices. I would take a very early train so that you get their in plenty of time, just as you would if you drove. Lots of people downtown take the trians so if for some reason there was some terrible delay, employers don't hold it against you as they would if you drive.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:58 AM

Thanks guys. There's been a correction. I don't have to be there until 10 AM & I plan to leave no later than 8:30 AM. I'm thinking the traffic could actually be a little worse than the previous time I was planning to leave before.

I prefer to drive my own car becuase after the interview, I plan to make a fun day of it & go to a shopping mall, Grand Central Market, Fisherman's Outlet for lunch, then get food to-go at Chinese Friends Restaurant to last me for the next couple of days.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:31 PM

671 posts, read 1,191,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Thanks guys. There's been a correction. I don't have to be there until 10 AM & I plan to leave no later than 8:30 AM. I'm thinking the traffic could actually be a little worse than the previous time I was planning to leave before.

I prefer to drive my own car becuase after the interview, I plan to make a fun day of it & go to a shopping mall, Grand Central Market, Fisherman's Outlet for lunch, then get food to-go at Chinese Friends Restaurant to last me for the next couple of days.

Congestion will be worse. The points of interest you've mentioned are all accessable by Metro subway or LRT or DASH bus or walking distance in or from Downtown. I would really reconsider your choice to drive (where will you park and how much and how far a walk for that money). Like I said, my family in Rancho think anybody commuting by car to and fro DTLA is a dunce, and they've come to this conclusion THE HARD WAY. Even my snobby cousin drove at first, then hated it. Then she used the express bus lines, then found it only marginally better, until she finally broke down and took the train and still does as her mother does, too (they take different trains on the San Bernardion line, but sometimes plan to go or come home together. Now, my cousin admits she must have been "deranged" to consider getting to DTLA during the rush any other way. The trains is far more reliable and on time than driving. You would take the San Bernardino Line from Rancho Cucamonga station. Don't forget the HELL you will pay by driving BACK home in afternoon rush hour, even as early as 2:30PM. Metrolink Ticket includes FREE transfer to and from Metro subway, LRT, and buses and DASH buses.

However, do as you will and enjoy.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:45 PM

223 posts, read 524,218 times
So how did it go? I would have also suggested taking the train and subway. Its so easy to get around DTLA to get to most anything in the City without a car. And the plus is that you can rest up before the interview and even mention how great it was taking public transportation in.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:18 PM

I left at 8:30 AM l ike I said it would. The drive there was good...took only about 40 min. Driving DT is a job in itself with all those 1-one streets, but I went everywhere I had planned to. I started driving back home at about 4:30. That was BRUTAL! Very slow traffic!

I've taken the Metrolink a few times before. I just don't like being on foot once I get there & I don't care to learn how the whole bus & subway system works.

Hey, one day trip every several months doesn't hurt! Thanks again guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles