Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 04:35 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times

Advertisements

I asked a vendor how much a cold cut sandwich costs. The reply was $11.54 with tax. I thanked her and left. When I arrived at Dulles airport in DC, I was pleased to find that a cold sandwich or wrap was about $7.50. Even a chipotle burrito costs $6.84 with tax, comparable to what you would pay at a regular chipotle. DC is hardly a cheap city. Why the huge disparity in prices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 05:08 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I asked a vendor how much a cold cut sandwich costs. The reply was $11.54 with tax. I thanked her and left. When I arrived at Dulles airport in DC, I was pleased to find that a cold sandwich or wrap was about $7.50. Even a chipotle burrito costs $6.84 with tax, comparable to what you would pay at a regular chipotle. DC is hardly a cheap city. Why the huge disparity in prices?
We had the same experience at MIA last Jan. I don't remember the food prices as being too out of line for an airport, but OMG the wine. I decided to be a good mommy and wife so I agreed to take hubby, daughter and son in law to lunch. We had a long lay wait. Otherwise I would not eat at the airport. Anyway we ordered a light lunch and wine. Wanting to waste a little more time I had a second glass, no one else did. Anyway, my daughter made the comment, mom I bet the wine is $10 or more a glass. To my shock: she was right, it was $12. Lunch, with crappy service ended up costing just under $100.00 including tip.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:39 AM

925 posts, read 1,334,029 times
Maybe a more fair comparison is Reagan?

Old 07-30-2013, 08:34 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuga888 View Post
Maybe a more fair comparison is Reagan?
Why would that be?

Old 07-30-2013, 08:57 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Some cities have laws that their airport vendors cannot mark up prices. For instance a Whopper costs 2.00 in regular stores in the city - they have to sell it for 2.00 at the airport. Boston Logan is one such airport.

Quote:
Teeven credits much of BOS' concessions success to the airport's commitment to street pricing. All items sold at the airport - food, merchandise and services - must be priced the same as they are in nearby Boston or Cambridge malls, she explains.
http://www.airportimprovement.com/co...?article=00446

Old 07-30-2013, 10:03 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
It seems that places that are 'concessions' are usually marked up. It's like the Carl's Jr at Dodger's stadium, prices are higher.

A lot of it probably has to do with the high rents most likely...but you would def think they would make it up on volume..

Another place I saw this was Subway on the Las Vegas strip...even years back it was something like $10 for a footlong or something crazy!

Bottom line I don't think you can expect to find cheap food in these places. They have a captive audience and they will gouge if they legally can gouge.

Interesting about the laws in Boston,etc...you would think in CA we would have those types of laws too..

Old 07-30-2013, 12:30 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
If you're eating at specialty sandwich stores in the nicer parts of LA (i.e. not Subway or Quiznos) a sandwich is often going to run you around $10-12. It's insane, I know. How does anyone afford anything these days?

Old 07-30-2013, 12:37 PM

808 posts, read 1,878,936 times
That's why I eat before my flight.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:31 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Yeah that's true. If you just buy one measly sandwich a day for lunch...that's over $300 a month on sandwiches.

Even Quizno's isn't that cheap really.

You are paying for convenience though .

In certain cases it can be cheaper to eat out I think especially if you want variety. Let's say you want a burrito (which isnt even super complex as far as ingredients) . Buying all those ingredients separately would be pretty expensive. Unless you actually use up all the ingredients it can actually cost you more to make stuff at home.

It takes quite a bit of planning and creativity to be able to buy things from the market efficiently.

Trader Joe's stuff is cool because they have a lot of stuff you can kind of grab and go , like the salads for $4...sure you could probably make them cheaper..but are you going to really use up all the ingredients that you have to buy to go into them?

Old 07-30-2013, 01:51 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah that's true. If you just buy one measly sandwich a day for lunch...that's over $300 a month on sandwiches.

Even Quizno's isn't that cheap really.

You are paying for convenience though .

In certain cases it can be cheaper to eat out I think especially if you want variety. Let's say you want a burrito (which isnt even super complex as far as ingredients) . Buying all those ingredients separately would be pretty expensive. Unless you actually use up all the ingredients it can actually cost you more to make stuff at home.

It takes quite a bit of planning and creativity to be able to buy things from the market efficiently.

Trader Joe's stuff is cool because they have a lot of stuff you can kind of grab and go , like the salads for $4...sure you could probably make them cheaper..but are you going to really use up all the ingredients that you have to buy to go into them?
Yep, cooking for yourself (if you're single and living alone) is only cost effective if you make a huge batch of something and eat leftovers. Cooking in general is most economical for families. Single people are better off going to Subway or Mcdonalds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles