Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2014, 10:50 AM

13 posts, read 40,366 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm moving from NY to LA in a couple of weeks. I'm looking at apartments online and would like to know if you can tell me what neighborhood is bounded by the following streets: south of W. 3rd St, west of S. Fairfax, north of Wilshire, and east of La Cienega/San Vicente. Is this area called Mid-City West?

Also, what are the general characteristics of this neighborhood? I'd like to get a sense of whether I might like this area.

Thanks in advance for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 10:55 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
That's a very small area you describe. It's part of Beverly Grove, which is a new name for the portion of the city of LA that's surrounded by Beverly Hills to the west, West Hollywood to the west and north, Carthay to the south, and the Fairfax District to the east.

Mid-City West is a more general term that encompasses the region that Beverly Grove, Carthay, the Fairfax District, and Miracle Mile. So yes, it is part of Mid-City West too.

It's a safe, affluent, centrally located neighborhood. No real crime issues or red flags. It's close to the action (bars, nightlife, attractions, restaurants) without being in the middle of it.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:03 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
That's a very small area you describe. It's part of Beverly Grove, which is a new name for the portion of the city of LA that's surrounded by Beverly Hills to the west, West Hollywood to the west and north, Carthay to the south, and the Fairfax District to the east.

Mid-City West is a more general term that encompasses the region that Beverly Grove, Carthay, the Fairfax District, and Miracle Mile. So yes, it is part of Mid-City West too.

It's a safe, affluent, centrally located neighborhood. No real crime issues or red flags. It's close to the action (bars, nightlife, attractions, restaurants) without being in the middle of it.
IMO, it's Miracle Mile. But I agree with everything else you say about it.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:33 AM

601 posts, read 755,981 times
I was also thinking "Miracle Mile." Also close to some really nice museums and parks.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:52 AM

Thanks for the information! I have another question -- do the demographics in this area fall more on the younger or older end of the spectrum?

Old 02-28-2014, 12:09 PM

103 posts, read 167,720 times
I live a few blocks southwest from there and I'd say it's middle-aged/family-based. There isn't much to do in the immediate area but you can be at the Grove/museums, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, or Culver City with a 5-10 minute drive.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:15 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
Beverly Grove is a new name developed by realtors for the area, and the LA Times and other major media have adopted that label. Before Beverly Grove people referred to the area as Midcity West, Miracle Mile, western Fairfax District... but now it is generally understood Miracle Mile is basically the portion of Wilshire between Fairfax and Highland (plus immediately north and south), while Midcity West refers to a general region that is larger than just Beverly Grove.

Demographically, it is a little older and family based but as others said it's extremely close to youthful, happening areas.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:52 PM

Thanks for the additional input. I'm mid-30's and I still like to go out from time to time, but I don't feel the need to live in the middle of everything so it seems a good location to add to the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles