Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 05:10 PM

113 posts, read 196,229 times

Advertisements

I would definitely recommend Culver City/Palms over Pasadena after looking at your list. It gives you a much more urban feel while still being relatively safe. Pasadena might feel to suburban for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 06:24 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
I like both Culver City and Pasadena, but I can see how someone could prefer one over the other. To me, Pasadena is way more lively.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:44 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,419,527 times
Old Pasadena's pedestrian activity trumps Culver City's by a clear margin. It's also a less congested part of town for those times when you want to hop in your car. Closer to work too.

Have you considered Hollywood?

Old 08-13-2013, 07:29 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Old Pasadena's pedestrian activity trumps Culver City's by a clear margin. It's also a less congested part of town for those times when you want to hop in your car. Closer to work too.

Have you considered Hollywood?
Hollywood - one bedrooms range everywhere from about $1300 a month. It would fit the criteria of being walkable, fairly affordable, around a 30-60 minute drive or 30 ride on the Red Line to DTLA, lots of street life, 2 train stations, up-and-coming (something like 5 major projects underway), and I find it to be perfectly safe.

If you can, look for a place in Franklin Village. It is the area of Hollywood along Franklin to the east of the 101 Freeway. My wife and I are looking to relocate to that area after being more in Central Hollywood for the last 2.5 years. It is decidedly Los Angeles, but it has a bit of an East Coast vibe to it, probably because it has a ton of transplants.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:47 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Hollywood - one bedrooms range everywhere from about $1300 a month. It would fit the criteria of being walkable, fairly affordable, around a 30-60 minute drive or 30 ride on the Red Line to DTLA, lots of street life, 2 train stations, up-and-coming (something like 5 major projects underway), and I find it to be perfectly safe.

If you can, look for a place in Franklin Village. It is the area of Hollywood along Franklin to the east of the 101 Freeway. My wife and I are looking to relocate to that area after being more in Central Hollywood for the last 2.5 years. It is decidedly Los Angeles, but it has a bit of an East Coast vibe to it, probably because it has a ton of transplants.
Is that the area by the Vermont/Sunset subway stop? I didn't know what that area was called. Now that's somewhere in central LA I wouldn't mind being. Checked it out a few times when I go for dinner at Mother Dough.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:31 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,319,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post

Hollywood be cool. But is it very touristy? I just am not a big fan of touristy areas to live in and I remember when I went to Hollywood I did not like it. BUt again that was from a tourists perspective. I hate Navy Pier in Chicago, but doesn't mean I wouldn't live in the area.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:35 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Hollywood be cool. But is it very touristy? I just am not a big fan of touristy areas to live in and I remember when I went to Hollywood I did not like it. BUt again that was from a tourists perspective. I hate Navy Pier in Chicago, but doesn't mean I wouldn't live in the area.
Hollywood is mostly touristy along Hollywood and Sunset Blvd between Highland and Vine. The rest of it isn't as much. I would say at this point Santa Monica is considerably more touristy as a whole than Hollywood.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:39 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Culver City is a lot more fun than Pasadena, and you can take the Expo to work in Downtown LA. Every bullet point you put on your list is Culver City. You should try to live as close to Downtown Culver City as possible (near the intersection of Washington Blvd and Culver Blvd).

Another reason Culver City is preferable to Pasadena is its proximity to the popular areas in the Westside like Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Venice, Marina del Rey, West LA.
Really? Based on what? Have you thoroughly explored Pasadena?

Well, I am moving to NE LA next month from the Palms/Culver City area. Some people actually prefer Pasadena to the west side for many reasons.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:44 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Really? Based on what? Have you thoroughly explored Pasadena?

Well, I am moving to NE LA next month from the Palms/Culver City area. Some people actually prefer Pasadena to the west side for many reasons.
Haven't thoroughly explored Pasadena but I've been enough times to decide it's pretty dull compared to the Westside and central LA. It's also kind of isolated. Even if Culver alone vs Pasadena, and Pasadena has more going on, Culver is right by a ton more options, a short drive or public transit route.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:54 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Is that the area by the Vermont/Sunset subway stop? I didn't know what that area was called. Now that's somewhere in central LA I wouldn't mind being. Checked it out a few times when I go for dinner at Mother Dough.
It's more towards Franklin / Bronson. It's where the UCB theater. I think Sunset / Vermont is straight East Hollywood.

To the OP - Hollywood is touristy, but definitely a great place to live too. Lots of practical, neighborhood serving retail and amenities. And only getting better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles