Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 12:19 AM

371 posts, read 425,816 times

Advertisements

Greetings all,

I'm thinking about making the move to LA after graduation this spring 2014. Although I do have a few questions, I will give some background.

I am an economics major going to be graduating from the University of Maryland. I am looking to get into the field of management consulting (trying to steer away from finance consulting, but if I have to so be it). I would prefer not to take a job making less than 50k a year. I've had paid internships and am coming out of school with 30k in loans and about 4k on credit cards.

How much would it cost to move to LA? I would like to live in downtown LA, near koreatown, its cheap and I like the diversity, and I like the fact that its a walking downtown area. By cheap I mean relative to DC and NYC. For example, 750-1000 per person if I were to get a 3 br or 2 br apartment with roommates. For example I lived in a 4br/4bath my junior year of college and rent of $850 per person, so Im looking to spend a little more than that.

Is there a strong industry for business management and consulting in LA? I tried researching but not finding much.

What are the differences between the girls in the DMV (dc md va metropolitan area) and the girls in LA? Please describe, easy? fake? friendly? posh? give me some generalizations.

I am a fan of the laid-back environment, but I like intellectual conversations especially about race and politics, is there an outlet for that here? I too do not mind the "where do you go to school" conversations.

Are people really that caught up into celebrities here? If I saw Beyonce I think I'd ask her why she has blonde hair rather than an autograph.

How does the nightlife compare to NYC or better yet MADRID, SPAIN. In my opinion people exaggerate NYC, In Spain people stay out until 6am-9am, there are people making out everywhere, and thats the kind of nightlife I am looking for.

Is the weather really what people make it out to be?

How are the race relations here? Is it self-segregated by group or what?

Finally, how is the economy if you are looking for an entry level position in business? Will I be breaking my back, taking waiting/temp jobs while trying to find a career?

Sorry about the grammar and organization of this post, didn't take much time to edit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 10:05 AM

24 posts, read 33,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diallomacedo View Post
Greetings all,

I'm thinking about making the move to LA after graduation this spring 2014. Although I do have a few questions, I will give some background.

I am an economics major going to be graduating from the University of Maryland. I am looking to get into the field of management consulting (trying to steer away from finance consulting, but if I have to so be it). I would prefer not to take a job making less than 50k a year. I've had paid internships and am coming out of school with 30k in loans and about 4k on credit cards.

How much would it cost to move to LA? I would like to live in downtown LA, near koreatown, its cheap and I like the diversity, and I like the fact that its a walking downtown area. By cheap I mean relative to DC and NYC. For example, 750-1000 per person if I were to get a 3 br or 2 br apartment with roommates. For example I lived in a 4br/4bath my junior year of college and rent of $850 per person, so Im looking to spend a little more than that.

Is there a strong industry for business management and consulting in LA? I tried researching but not finding much.

What are the differences between the girls in the DMV (dc md va metropolitan area) and the girls in LA? Please describe, easy? fake? friendly? posh? give me some generalizations.

I am a fan of the laid-back environment, but I like intellectual conversations especially about race and politics, is there an outlet for that here? I too do not mind the "where do you go to school" conversations.

Are people really that caught up into celebrities here? If I saw Beyonce I think I'd ask her why she has blonde hair rather than an autograph.

How does the nightlife compare to NYC or better yet MADRID, SPAIN. In my opinion people exaggerate NYC, In Spain people stay out until 6am-9am, there are people making out everywhere, and thats the kind of nightlife I am looking for.

Is the weather really what people make it out to be?

How are the race relations here? Is it self-segregated by group or what?

Finally, how is the economy if you are looking for an entry level position in business? Will I be breaking my back, taking waiting/temp jobs while trying to find a career?

Sorry about the grammar and organization of this post, didn't take much time to edit.
It's going to be really hard to get into management consulting in the West Coast from an east coast school if you're thinking MBB/Deloitte/Accenture (especially from a non-target), even if you have a stellar GPA. Secure the job first before you start thinking about living arrangements.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:14 PM

Really? So what industries have a lot of jobs in LA (ones that pertain to business, besides IT/Info Systems/Computer tech). Do they have good management trainee programs? which ones?

Old 08-24-2013, 02:43 PM

106 posts, read 171,140 times
Quote:
Really? So what industries have a lot of jobs in LA (ones that pertain to business, besides IT/Info Systems/Computer tech). Do they have good management trainee programs? which ones?
No one here knows.

All they will do is discourage you from moving to LA by telling you how tough it is. Take some time and visit the area and get a bit of a feel for yourself. If you listen to most people here you will get the feeling that LA is the only city in the world with high unemployment, bad traffic, crime, and homelessness.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:42 PM

24 posts, read 33,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyCburn View Post
No one here knows... If you listen to most people here you will get the feeling that LA is the only city in the world with high unemployment, bad traffic, crime, and homelessness.
It's one thing asking about the city. To answer that question: it's eclectic, cosmopolitan, traffic's a b*tch. I currently live in the DMV area, and from what I gather, things out here (east) are far more formal than they are in LA and SoCal -- but that's still a sweeping generalization.

It's another to have delusions of grandeur about getting into a ridiculously elite and tough industry like management consulting or IB without a high GPA from brand-name school. No elite consulting firm recruits at Maryland, and I don't mean that as a slight. Anyway, consulting firms staff by office, so it's really difficult to grab a placement on the West Coast if you go to an East Coast university (unless you were an intern w/a return offer or go to a prestige/blue-blood school). I went to a school in the mid-Atlantic and got funneled into a consulting job in the DMV.

Plus, if you worked in consulting, you'd be away Mon-Thurs anyway.

Nonetheless, find as many business analyst job postings as you can on UMD's careers site, and as the recruiters for those companies about their locational flexibility. Worth a shot.

As for the rest of the OP's original questions: you're over-thinking it. DC's a big and fairly cosmopolitan city, but just think, LA's even bigger.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:46 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
I think the nightlife in LA is great. But keep in mind it's nothing like Spain or NYC. Given the spread-out nature of the city, everyone is partying it up in different neighborhoods. It won't feel lively, but it is. And you can't easily go bar-hopping from neighborhood to neighborhood like you can in NYC, but there's definitely a lot of action. You just have to find your spot.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_sd1 View Post
It's one thing asking about the city. To answer that question: it's eclectic, cosmopolitan, traffic's a b*tch. I currently live in the DMV area, and from what I gather, things out here (east) are far more formal than they are in LA and SoCal -- but that's still a sweeping generalization.

It's another to have delusions of grandeur about getting into a ridiculously elite and tough industry like management consulting or IB without a high GPA from brand-name school. No elite consulting firm recruits at Maryland, and I don't mean that as a slight. Anyway, consulting firms staff by office, so it's really difficult to grab a placement on the West Coast if you go to an East Coast university (unless you were an intern w/a return offer or go to a prestige/blue-blood school). I went to a school in the mid-Atlantic and got funneled into a consulting job in the DMV.

Plus, if you worked in consulting, you'd be away Mon-Thurs anyway.

Nonetheless, find as many business analyst job postings as you can on UMD's careers site, and as the recruiters for those companies about their locational flexibility. Worth a shot.

As for the rest of the OP's original questions: you're over-thinking it. DC's a big and fairly cosmopolitan city, but just think, LA's even bigger.
I don't think it'll be hard to find a job in consulting with my credentials and networks. I know many people who work fro deliotte and PWC and are pretty high up there, on top of that Ive had internships at the british embassy and the dept of treasury (OCC). I just want to know what consulting firms were located here. Or what can I do in LA proper with an economics degree. My resume shows I have history in banking and international experience (british embassy and study abroad madrid)

Old 08-26-2013, 11:09 PM

38 posts, read 59,864 times
el a is an entertainment town kiddo. To bankroll an el a lifestyle like u see in the movies you got to be in Hollywood or sellin hollyweed.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:57 PM

By the way, I hate the DMV, its boring, the women are bourgie and dont look that good. It rains too much, and the weather is bipolar. Los Angeles people workout (Im big in to fitness) and I don't think I'd be as pessimistic if it was sunny all the time, right now I am a very negative person tbh.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:51 PM

47 posts, read 64,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_sd1 View Post
It's going to be really hard to get into management consulting in the West Coast from an east coast school if you're thinking MBB/Deloitte/Accenture (especially from a non-target), even if you have a stellar GPA. Secure the job first before you start thinking about living arrangements.
Why would it be difficult for a person from the East coast to get into management consulting on the West coast? I don't see the issue at all. If he/she gets a job with accenture, booz allen, deloitte, or any of the other consulting firms it won't be a problem. Usually consulting firms encourage their staff to relocate and move around to different offices, every few years...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles