Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 10:56 AM

4 posts, read 38,513 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm looking to go to Pepperdine University Law school (Malibu) next fall - I need somewhere safe and affordable to live. I also need a place with a great school district - I have a 7 year old. I'm essentially looking for a 2 bedroom for up to $1800/month.

I know LA is about 30 miles from Malibu but I've only heard bad things about it. Are there any good areas in or around LA and near Malibu (within a half hour drive) that are affordable and safe with good school districts?

I would appreciate it if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 11:37 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,190,547 times
check agoura, you can probably find a 2br apartment for around that price and you'll be about 30 minutes from pepperdine.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:40 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo9582 View Post
Hello,

I'm looking to go to Pepperdine University Law school (Malibu) next fall - I need somewhere safe and affordable to live. I also need a place with a great school district - I have a 7 year old. I'm essentially looking for a 2 bedroom for up to $1800/month.

I know LA is about 30 miles from Malibu but I've only heard bad things about it. Are there any good areas in or around LA and near Malibu (within a half hour drive) that are affordable and safe with good school districts?

I would appreciate it if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Thank you
You have made a good choice on where to go school. It is a wonderful university with a beautiful setting. I envy you. ?Well not really:: I wouldn't want to be back in college right now. Anyway, I would think the school would have a housing dept that can help you out. If not look at some of the areas just inland from Pepperdine. You might be able to find something in your price range. As for Los Angeles, it isn't all bad, in fact it has a lot of good, but with a 7 year old you would probably be disappointed in the schools.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:28 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,304,393 times
Or Thousand Oaks which I think is more affordable and about as family friendly and suburban as it gets. 30-45 min commute to Pepperdine.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:16 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,037,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
check agoura, you can probably find a 2br apartment for around that price and you'll be about 30 minutes from pepperdine.
I second Agoura Hills.

Sample apt. below:
Archstone Agoura Hills near Los Angeles - 30856 Agoura Road - Archstone Apartments in Los Angeles

Old 07-30-2013, 01:22 PM

Thank you all so much. I will look into your suggestions right away :-)

Old 07-31-2013, 12:36 PM

BTW, for those of you who have also lived in the East coast, is it relatively more expensive to live in CA? I keep getting that from everyone but I think once I find decent rent and a decent paying job, I should be fine. What do you think?

Old 07-31-2013, 04:32 PM

252 posts, read 518,905 times
Agoura Thousand Oaks Westlake Village is ok Topanga/Calabasas is better... , Its kind of hot over there in the summer .... Camarillo is north of malibu its very suburban though..., its not too far.. Malibu is nice nature wise but it has changed alot over the years its become more plastic and fake and more like beverly hills and less like a beach town. I know this because i lived here all of my life. Pepperdine, however it is good university and its beautiful campus with huge green lawn and its next to the beach. I knew a lot of students from the there.. some college students from Pepperdine tutored me when i was in grade school.. I work for a charity in malibu and Pepperdine donates a lot to charity which is good .

Last edited by 7stringguitarguy; 07-31-2013 at 05:12 PM..

Old 07-31-2013, 06:56 PM

223 posts, read 523,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stringguitarguy View Post
Malibu is nice nature wise but it has changed alot over the years its become more plastic and fake and more like beverly hills and less like a beach town.
That's because Malibu is where all the rich people in LA live.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:46 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,565,811 times
There's a terrific cost of living calculator on the CNNMoney.com website, so be sure to check it out.

Gasoline is still $4.00/gallon or more depending on where you live, although it's substantially cheaper in the IE ($3.79) and elsewhere.

Thousand Oaks and Agoura Hills re both terrific communities, but determining 'affordability' depends on your income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles