Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 06:21 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody067 View Post
i know that starting january 1st,there will be a plastic bag ban. i know that west hollywood and santa monica already have it. does anyone know if cities like inglewood,burbank and culver city will have the ban too or is it just Los Angeles? i already shop outside of where i live and i hope that those places don't have the ban.
Why, do you realize much of Europe only allows cloth or paper bags. When we were in Toronto area a few months ago, everyone used cloth, but I think there were a few plastic bags available. One of the few things we really liked about the area was the cleanliness. I am not an over the top eviornmentalist, but I do think we need to eliminate as much plastic and waste as we can. It isn't hard to provide cloth bags or paper. We keep several of both in our trunk. Aldi's grocery stores, throughout the country charge for plastic bags, some of our local stores give a nickel or dime credit for each cloth bag we use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmissourimule View Post
This is a really dumb idea. The germs inside these cloth bags often contain some very dangerous strains. The statistics are quite alarming.

The alternative might be paper bags but getting rid of the plastic bags is a health hazard.

Reusable grocery bag carried nasty norovirus, scientists say - NBC News.com
I often agree with you, but not this time. Yes, the cloth bags if never washed can be germ infested, but the answer is wash them from time to time, replace them or use paper plus keep a couple of boxes in your trunk, and take your own stuff to the car, like we have to do when we shop at Sam's.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:54 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
At least this has motivated me to dig up my recyclable cloth bags, and after I used them, I actually remembered to put them back in the car for next time!

I reuse my plastic bags for a few different things, so I'm not exactly thrilled with this change - but at the same time it's relatively easy to comply with the new law, and I can always buy more plastic bags if I need them. I'll probably investigate the biodegradable bags, which I didn't even know existed until just recently. Education - it's a marvelous thing!

Old 01-06-2014, 07:20 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I wonder if people are now going to shop outside the city now since the ban on plastic bags? The ban is quite ridiculous. So much for big government in Los Angeles.
Why would they bother? Paper or reusable shopping bags are much better choices for shoppers than plastic anyways. Most people where I live (which is NOT in Cali), use reusable shopping bags.

Yours is a selfish, irresponsible attitude based on the fallacy that your actions have no impact on anybody or anything else. That's simply untrue. Whether you like it or not, you live in society, so stop pretending otherwise.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:22 PM

401 posts, read 767,712 times
+1 on plastic bag ban.
If the vast majority of people were responsible, and reused or recycled their plastic bag, it wouldn't be such a problem. However, here in LA, there's a huge percentage of people who are very careless with their trash. Rotten apples spoil the bunch.

I wish we could ban lame people, but we'll have to settle for a ban on the "urban tumbleweeds"

Old 01-06-2014, 06:03 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Why would they bother? Paper or reusable shopping bags are much better choices for shoppers than plastic anyways. Most people where I live (which is NOT in Cali), use reusable shopping bags.
This is CA, not wherever you are. You will be very surprised how many of the people I spoke to feel the same way as I do about this new law. Perhaps it is still relatively new but there are a lot of people going to surrounding cities to do their big weekly/bi-weekly shopping at. Even the merchants I spoke to mentioned that they noticed the increase in traffic over the last year or so. I am sure those cities are aware of this and in no rush to loose that extra revenue.

Quote:
Yours is a selfish, irresponsible attitude based on the fallacy that your actions have no impact on anybody or anything else. That's simply untrue. Whether you like it or not, you live in society, so stop pretending otherwise.
I am curious, you do not live in CA yet you come and pass judgement based on what? How is being selfish or having an irresponsible attitude? How is it not true, again you do not even live here, what were you basing your statement on? As a society, were are to obey and go along with every bylaw or regulation cities come up with? We have no right to dispute or protest?

Old 01-07-2014, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
This is CA, not wherever you are. You will be very surprised how many of the people I spoke to feel the same way as I do about this new law. Perhaps it is still relatively new but there are a lot of people going to surrounding cities to do their big weekly/bi-weekly shopping at. Even the merchants I spoke to mentioned that they noticed the increase in traffic over the last year or so. I am sure those cities are aware of this and in no rush to loose that extra revenue.

I am curious, you do not live in CA yet you come and pass judgement based on what? How is being selfish or having an irresponsible attitude? How is it not true, again you do not even live here, what were you basing your statement on? As a society, were are to obey and go along with every bylaw or regulation cities come up with? We have no right to dispute or protest?
As much as I approve of banning plastic bags, I also agree with you. If it is the law, you either abide by it or you go someplace else. As for a statement about it being selfish I certainly would not go that far. It isn't selfish, but using plastic can lead to problems centuries down the road.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:18 PM

8,555 posts, read 10,978,234 times
Well here it is January 7th, and I finally got around to grocery shopping.
At the checkout counter, the store is putting the groceries in their "new" plastic bags (for ten cents apiece).
The only difference I see is they are now charging for them.
They seem a little thicker, but still, they are plastic.
Nothing more than a money grab if you ask me.
Bob.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:21 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
If you forget to bring your own bags, don't worry about it: just take those sturdy plastic shopping baskets home with you.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:08 PM

401 posts, read 767,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
there are a lot of people going to surrounding cities to do their big weekly/bi-weekly shopping at. Even the merchants I spoke to mentioned that they noticed the increase in traffic over the last year or so. I am sure those cities are aware of this and in no rush to loose that extra revenue.
If someone will take extra time and spend extra gas to drive to another city simply because they are too lazy to bring their own bags... then, in addition to their time not being worth very much, they are an idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles