Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 07:42 PM

8 posts, read 22,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post
When you run red lights, and then panic mid-intersection, you are risking everyone in the vicinity's life. The fact that you can't/don't/won't recognize that is more disturbing than anything.

That behaviour is deadly. Get some help in driving, or control your vehicle. Peoples lives are at stake.
I am feeling pretty bad right now. I was always the safest drivers among my friends. I try not to speed, and I didn't do this on purpose.
And I am trying to get help right now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 07:45 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
You lucked out in this instance, but I'm sure everyone would appreciate if you're more careful and vigilant in the future. Also, please keep this mantra in your head: "Do NOT stay in the middle of an intersection! More dangerous than panic stopping!"

Welcome to City-Data!

Old 11-16-2007, 09:39 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
Once you're in an intersection, there's no turning back.. I've seen people stop in the middle of the intersection, and I've seen them back up. Both are extremely dangerous. Just keep going, and if you get a ticket, you earned it.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:46 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,989 times
If I were behind you, I'd rather have you drive out into the intersection and forget to turn left, than to have you panic at the next left turn and not enter the intersection at all.

It's irritating when a driver making a left turn doesn't ease out into the middle of the intersection until the light turns yellow. Makes it so only one car per light can make a left.

Next time your out there remember that opposing traffic is supposed to wait for the intersection to clear before proceeding.

Did anyone honk at you?

Old 11-16-2007, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd View Post
If I were behind you, I'd rather have you drive out into the intersection and forget to turn left, than to have you panic at the next left turn and not enter the intersection at all.

It's irritating when a driver making a left turn doesn't ease out into the middle of the intersection until the light turns yellow. Makes it so only one car per light can make a left.

Next time your out there remember that opposing traffic is supposed to wait for the intersection to clear before proceeding.

Did anyone honk at you?
no one honked at me...

Old 11-16-2007, 11:33 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladymentha View Post
no one honked at me...
Then that means it was not that bad. People are pretty quick to honk at anything these days. You probably took this way too hard. Think of it as a fun learning experience.

I have seen people do far worse things things...

Have you ever pulled out of a gas station only to find you completely missed the apron and drove right off the curb.

Have you ever missed the apron completely when pulling into a driveway and hit the curb head on. Or have you every made a right turn too sharp and driven up onto the handicap apron with your back tire getting a little air. People do this all the time, especially in trucks and suv's.

Have you ever watched a light turn green for cross traffic and accidently drove out into the intersection a little bit only to be rear-ended by the guy behind you on a cell phone.

Have you ever tailgated a caprice on the frwy wondering why this fool wont move over, only to realize there are red & blue lights on top of that car. (I did this one)

So don't worry. It could have been worse. Next time you drive, roll down the window, put your arm out and cruise down the road with confidence.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:27 PM

225 posts, read 1,090,666 times
I agree. Sure, it sounds like you made a mistake. But, honestly, who hasn't? And at least you had the sense to stop. I have not only seen worse behavior--I see worse just about every time I get on the 405. Those drivers who switch two lanes at once on the freeway... the ones who tailgate... the ones who leave their blinkers on for mile after mile... all that is much, much more dangerous.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:43 PM

i admitted that this was a terrible mistake and a lot of people can get hurt from this...i think i will remember this for forever...

now i am somewhat afraid to get back into my car to drive...i was suppose to go to the library today to return some books, but i chickened out and ask my mom to return them for me...

Old 11-18-2007, 02:03 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,208,525 times
You've got to be young. You have to have a sense of the car that surrounds you. It has to be an extension of your physical self. Like walking down a crowded sidewalk and not bumping into others. Also, don't feel like it's the end of the world, this won't be the last time you screw up. The lights in the L. A. area change quickly too, a full second faster than the ones here in Las Vegas.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
You've got to be young. You have to have a sense of the car that surrounds you. It has to be an extension of your physical self. Like walking down a crowded sidewalk and not bumping into others. Also, don't feel like it's the end of the world, this won't be the last time you screw up. The lights in the L. A. area change quickly too, a full second faster than the ones here in Las Vegas.
if you think 19 is young, then i am young AND poor....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles