Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 10:11 AM

8 posts, read 10,403 times

Advertisements

I posted before about a possible to move to LA. As it becomes more likely, we've spent a lot of time looking at real estate and communities. My husband is very attracted to the idea of living in Topanga Canyon. He is outdoorsy and loathes the idea of living in a condo in Santa Monica or anyplace very urban. We'd like public schools for our 6 year old and eventually her sister, our budget is about 1M (less would be better) and our two top choices now are Topanga or South Pasadena.

What do you think about the commute from Topanga to Century City from Topanga?

What would it be like to live in Topanga with little kids?

We are moving from a close-in suburb of DC. It's a crowded suburban location and while we have horrible traffic, my husband has a short commute.

Any information would be appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 10:37 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
There are certainly worse commutes out there, but this one isn't great. PCH can get really jammed and the 10/405 interchange can also get really nasty. I'd say on a good day the drive could be done in 20 minutes and upwards of an hour on a bad day. as for living there with little kids, i'm sure it would be fun. however, almost all of the homes are built into the hillside up there, so having a home with a relatively flat yard for the kids to run around in is unlikely. i know there is a school back there, but i don't think there's any other typical parks with jungle gyms or anything like that. also, shopping for daily needs would require a drive down to the westside or the valley.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:05 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Hope you like to live on the wild side. Topanga represents it to a T.

Topanga is unfortunately ready for its next big fire. It's been 20 years, but even the 1993 fire didn't burn all the 100-year growth that fills the tangled canyon.

http://lafire.com/famous_fires/1993-...gaIncident.htm

In 2011 I was caught in a flash flood there. Lots of YouTube videos of it.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:51 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
Topanga to Century city is likely better commute than south pasadena to century city.

Topanga is a steal in the sense that it's a fairly affordable area that is safe, good schools, good community. It's too remote for me to ever live there, but if you're willing to deal with an hour commute each way - which anyone in LA should be prepared for - it's a great option for your family.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Cheap View Post
The "kid density" might be relatively low. I don't think it is a first choice for families with young children. You want lots of neighborhood kids to play with outside, goofing off, riding bikes, playing in the street, shooting hoops, etc. You might get stuck with arranged "play dates" which are a hassle.

I wouldn't do it.

Living in Topanga sounds cool and unique and all that but the impracticality with kids and shopping will probably catch up to you.

I'd find a nice neighborhood with good schools that isn't too far away. Maybe somewhere north of the 10. Someplace with lots of like families with lots of kids. Somewhere more conventional, a normal neighborhood.

California School Performance Maps

You'll end up with a house full of bored kids

instead of a bunch of occupied kids having fun with their friends
There are plenty of families in Topanga. The fantasy of kids roaming around the neighborhood in packs without adult supervision is mostly a myth now, especially in LA. We're not in the 50s anymore.... you never see kids leave their front yard. It's too "dangerous" (sort of is). Arranged playdates tend to be the norm. It's what I and most of my generation (early millenial) grew up with, and the younger ones even more so.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:13 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
There are plenty of families in Topanga. The fantasy of kids roaming around the neighborhood in packs without adult supervision is mostly a myth now, especially in LA. We're not in the 50s anymore.... you never see kids leave their front yard. It's too "dangerous" (sort of is). Arranged playdates tend to be the norm. It's what I and most of my generation (early millenial) grew up with, and the younger ones even more so.
Sounds like those parents should not be having kids in the first place.

Parents who have to arrange playdates for their kids and don't want them roaming around the neighborhood are lacking basic parenting skills. They don't understand what it's like to have kids and would be better off just owning a dog.

If you can't have free range kids than don't breed.

Last edited by majoun; 09-23-2013 at 03:54 PM..

Old 09-23-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Sounds like those parents should not be having kids in the first place.

Parents who have to arrange playdates for their kids and don't want them roaming around the neighborhood are lacking basic parenting skills. They don't understand what it's like to have kids and would be better off just owning a dog.
That's how it is in most of the US now. Most neighborhoods in LA aren't really that dense with kids anyway, except the lower income ones.

If you let a kid roam the streets without supervision, s/he could be abducted by a pedophile, run over by a car, verbally harassed by homeless.

Why take the risk

Old 09-23-2013, 03:30 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
That's how it is in most of the US now. Most neighborhoods in LA aren't really that dense with kids anyway, except the lower income ones.

If you let a kid roam the streets without supervision, s/he could be abducted by a pedophile, run over by a car, verbally harassed by homeless.

Why take the risk
True that only poor immigrant neighborhoods in L.A. city are dense with kids. (Also many places outside of L.A. city). Family flight is a reality.

IMO helicopter parenting creates far more problems than it solves or prevents, but that's a topic way beyond the scope of the L.A. forum. If parents have that level of paranoia they should not be parents in the first place and would be better off merely owning pets.

Anyways, to return back to the original topic: Topanga no longer has many families. The LAUSD curse, yet again. And that's a sort of fear that is very understandable and justified.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:33 PM

I had plenty of classmates and friends as a kid who grew up in Topanga and had active social and extracurricular lives. Their parents always moaned about the 15-30 minute commute just to get OUT of Topanga to Santa Monica, but besides that they made do. So you can raise a kid in Topanga if you don't mind shuttling them around town more than the average parent.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:38 PM

8 posts, read 10,403 times
I appreciate the debate on free range kids vs. helicopter parents, but the reality in most places - at least with little kids, is we have "play dates" I hate even typing the word but it's what happens now. It happens in DC and it's ok if it happens in LA too. If we can handle the inconvenience, I think it could be a cool place to grow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles