Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2013, 12:57 PM

6 posts, read 13,986 times

Advertisements

Looking to hear from people with experience doing this commute by car and Metrolink+redline. How long does it take? How do you find Vanpool options if there are any from Walnut to Hollywood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 12:59 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,185,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean212 View Post
How do you find Vanpool options if there are any from Walnut to Hollywood.
I am pretty sure there is a link to a vanpool database from

Go511 | Los Angeles Traffic | Commuter Information | Road Conditions

Old 10-07-2013, 01:10 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,170,994 times
I used to work in Downtown while living in DB. I took the metrolink+red to blue line. It took about an hour and a half from the station to the door of my office... it would probably be about the same to Hollywood, depending on how far the office is from the metro station. I actually enjoyed it--mostly slept or did work on the trains. It's a good option, but metrolink doesn't have the most flexible schedules.

I also interned at the CNN building back in college... I drove for that. The commute is no fun. I think it was a slightly shorter commute for the most part, but it was much more draining. Pretty bad if there was an accident or something. On the plus side, driving gives you more options if you end up getting sick or if there's an emergency at home.

If you live in DB, I believe the city was offering some kind of discount or subsidy on monthly metrolink passes, which include use of the metro rail and most of the metro bus lines. This was a while back, so I'm not sure where that stands now.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:13 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,852,911 times
Walnut/DB doesn't have a Metrolink station. The closest stations are both in Pomona (Pomona has TWO Metrolink stations)--one station for the Riverside Line and other station for the San Bernardino Line. The drive from Walnut/DB to either station is probably 15+ minutes.

Both lines end up at Union Station and take about a hour from Pomona.

Red Line from Union Station to one of the Hollywood stations should take about 15 minutes or so.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:43 PM

6 posts, read 13,986 times
The train station near Walnut is "Industry" station. It's about 35 mins in Union Station and someone I know does this commute daily says its pretty consistently on time. Union station to Hollywood is around 20 mins but I'm not sure about the frequency of it. I'm just wondering if it would be less time if I drove around 6:30 and left at 4:30. I can also utilize HOV lane when available.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:23 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,170,994 times
Industry station is actually in the city of Walnut.

I did the industry to union commute daily for around six months, about 8 years ago. It was generally consistent, but the trains were late a few times... to the point they had buses haul us into Union station.

The light rail runs pretty frequently during rush hour.

A 6:30am commute by car wouldn't be too bad, but a 4:30pm commute back home would be pretty rough.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:00 PM

23,539 posts, read 24,041,250 times
By car, you would be going into traffic (assuming normal rush hour commute times) in both directions. Traffic moves east-west in the morning and the reverse in the afternoon rush hour. It would be a rough commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles