Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 10:41 PM

9 posts, read 28,244 times

Advertisements

I say I'm from LA, yet I live in Tijuana--same thing yo.

On a serious note, it all depends on how far away from home I am. If I'm in any part of Southern California, I'll say the name of the city I live in. However, if I'm out of the state or country, I'll say I'm from LA simply because people will know where I'm from off the bat instead of asking me, "where's that place located". As a rule of thumb you, If someone does not live in LA County they should not be claiming the 213 at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 12:15 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,610,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
I'm originally from Orange County, but always say I from LA. I hardly ever claim Orange County unless someone really drills down and asks me questions about where I was born, etc. However, I would agree that people who live in OC will mostly say they live in OC and not LA (depending on who they are talking to), but I don't think there is any real animosity between LA and OC.

LA really doesn't have animosity toward anybody. It's always the other way around. Other cities love to hate on LA. Folks in LA, on the other hand, generally can care less.
I think the animosity between LA and OC is as real as the animosity between LA and the Bay Area - but in both cases, the animosity on the LA side is less than on the other side. However there are sizable numbers of people in OC originally from LA and people in LA originally from OC, so that probably mitigates things somewhat.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:18 AM

615 posts, read 856,570 times
I can safely say that I really do live in L.A. My area code is 213 and has never had to change, unlike all these other area code splits. I'm right here in Downtown L.A....I can see the skyline from my roof! Heeee! :P

Old 11-20-2007, 01:09 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,640,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
I can safely say that I really do live in L.A. My area code is 213 and has never had to change, unlike all these other area code splits. I'm right here in Downtown L.A....I can see the skyline from my roof! Heeee! :P
true story: on friday, i tried to call a friend at her downtown office. i usually call her on her 323 cell phone, and out of habit, i dialed the office number with the 323 area code. after i reached the wrong party, i checked the number on my contact list, and for about ten seconds i was stumped by the 213 area code. my brain actually formed the thought, two-one-three, where IS that?

senior moment, or sign of the times?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles