Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 11:42 AM

17 posts, read 28,373 times

Advertisements

Hey CD,

Longtime lurker here. Do you guys think what i posed is possible?

I've heard of black flight throughout the country toward more stable living in the suburbs and the South but do you think this trend will stop or reverse itself? If so, what factors do you think would contribute? A stronger local economy, more unified populace, black-driven neighborhood beautification, less violence, etc?...

I know New York, Brooklyn especially, would be a lot less black today if it weren't for fairly consistent Caribbean migration but LA doesn't seem to have any significant black immigration (i know caribbeans, africans, and american blacks have little in common culturally but the kids of those immigrants seem to assimilate into mainstream AA culture).

I love LA's unique Latino vibe, but I think it would a real shame if their numbers eventually eliminated the black presence in LA.

Last edited by jwash92; 10-14-2013 at 11:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 11:54 AM

108 posts, read 185,234 times
Mexicans will soon take over the whole Southwest US, if influx and birthrates is any predictor.

Last edited by I_Love_LA; 10-14-2013 at 12:15 PM..

Old 10-14-2013, 12:06 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,512,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwash92 View Post
LA's unique Latino vibe
A better adjective would be ubiquitous.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:07 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,197,631 times
Preservation of African American history in the area will help. Maybe revitalize the Central Ave jazz scene.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LA View Post
Mexicans will soon take over the whole Southwest US, it influx and birthrates is any predictor.
The kids born in the 80s/early 90s wave of hispanic immigration are expected to produce a lower birthrate than their parents... much more in line with the average

a lot of latino immigrants are transient too

Old 10-14-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
Preservation of African American history in the area will help. Maybe revitalize the Central Ave jazz scene.
Agreed, though jazz doesn't really have the potential to create a vibrant area because it's not interesting to very many young people. I think more hip hop clubs in black areas instead of Hollywood would be very cool. Project Blowed is a good example of this

Old 10-14-2013, 12:26 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,696,073 times
There's no denying that black/AAs are found in large numbers on the east coast. NYC, Philly, Baltimore and DC all have huge black populations. And Philly/Bmore and Dc are almost African American dominant cities. Also, Atlanta, Savannah and all throughout the south is a huge AA population. Even FL has a very large and diverse AA culture as wel as blacks from the caribbean....

Why not LA tho? I dont know? Perhaps because there's no network or history for AAs there. California as a whole just doesn't have a large black population.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:29 PM

108 posts, read 185,234 times
Quote:
The kids born in the 80s/early 90s wave of hispanic immigration are expected to produce a lower birthrate than their parents... much more in line with the average

Quote:

Obviously you haven't looked that a statistics coming out of the hospitals all over the Southwest. The Mexican Kiddies born in the 80's and 90's all HAVING BABIES RIGHT NOW as I write this. Hispanics have the highest birthrates RIGHT NOW. And many of them are just babies themselves (underage mothers/fathers).

I dare you to prove me wrong with statistics. Numbers may lie, but not in this instance.

Better get yourself in a spanish class. Hola!

Old 10-14-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LA View Post
Obviously you haven't looked that a statistics coming out of the hospitals all over the Southwest. The Mexican Kiddies born in the 80's and 90's all HAVING BABIES RIGHT NOW as I write this. Hispanics have the highest birthrates RIGHT NOW. And many of them are just babies themselves (underage mothers/fathers).

I dare you to prove me wrong with statistics. Numbers may lie, but not in this instance.

Better get yourself in a spanish class. Hola!
http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2012/...mmigrants/]U.S. Birth Rate Falls to a Record Low; Decline Is Greatest Among Immigrants | Pew Social & Demographic Trends

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/teen-b...ics-6C10039659

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/01/he...hispanics.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...10.html]Latino Population: Hispanic Birth Rate Hits New Low

simple google search

Old 10-14-2013, 12:35 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,197,631 times
Quote:
Jazz doesn't really have the potential to create a vibrant area because it's not interesting to very many young people. I think more hip hop clubs in black areas instead of Hollywood would be very cool. Project Blowed is a good example of this
Sure, I kind of meant the area and not just jazz in particular. I should have been more clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles