Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 07:11 PM

34 posts, read 32,923 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at places to rent around the LA area, max $2000 at the most for rent. I know downtown is up and coming. Are there areas that I should avoid (aside from skid row )? I want to look at rentals in the downtown area early next week.

Condos, Apts, suggestions would be most appreciated.

Are there any grocery store options in the area or will I have to drive onto the freeways to get to nice grocery stores?

Is the highway congestion pretty bad from downtown? From My work, I would be going South in the morning from the 5S to the 605N and vice versa in the afternoons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 12:11 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times
Ralphs at 9th and Hope. Smart and final and target are also nearby.

So many apts and condos...look on craigslist for openings, google reviews. Or just walk through downtown and write down names and numbers of buildings with for rent signs.

5 freeway from downtown to 5/605 interchange is garbage. Probably 2nd worse freeway in LA after the 405.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post

So many apts and condos...look on craigslist for openings, google reviews. Or just walk through downtown and write down names and numbers of buildings with for rent signs.

5 freeway from downtown to 5/605 interchange is garbage. Probably 2nd worse freeway in LA after the 405.
That doesn't have me feeling to great. Thank you for my advice. My company is in Santa Fe Springs. I'm looking for an area with healthy social life, health stores, shopping, etc.

I'm open to suggestions.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:23 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,801,295 times
You'll probably take the 605 north to 60 west , it'll be faster and more consistent.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
You'll probably take the 605 north to 60 west , it'll be faster and more consistent.
What would I do without you! You mean 605South to 60East?

Old 10-20-2013, 12:19 AM

28 posts, read 207,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post

rentals are everywhere. What are you looking for? Studio, 2 bed? etc etc

Old 10-20-2013, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2live&dieinLA View Post
rentals are everywhere. What are you looking for? Studio, 2 bed? etc etc
Ideally a 1BR/1BA. I would like a place that has some amenities (e.g. gym). Never done the studio thing. I know realistically I'll never find anything for $1500 in a nice location with nice inside amenities and extras. My max rent that I want to pay is $2000 (lower the better obviously). I may push it to $2100 or $2200 if it's an absolute killer place with a lot of amenities.

Last edited by HappyDude007; 10-20-2013 at 12:46 AM..

Old 10-20-2013, 09:40 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude007 View Post
Ideally a 1BR/1BA. I would like a place that has some amenities (e.g. gym). Never done the studio thing. I know realistically I'll never find anything for $1500 in a nice location with nice inside amenities and extras. My max rent that I want to pay is $2000 (lower the better obviously). I may push it to $2100 or $2200 if it's an absolute killer place with a lot of amenities.
While there are 1 Bd, I think you mind want to expand your thoughts a bit as most of the places in DT are lofts.

They do exist such as at the Blackstone and especially in the Little Tokyo places.

Downtown is really the one area where its super easy to use craigslist for listings in your price range. Just be sure to use a map search and you won't have any issues.

I think you might actually enjoy this place:

LUXURY URBAN LIVING with PARKING INCLUDED @ The Medallion Apts.

Its really near to several restaurants and the main bar/nightspot area on Spring. Theres even a couple places on the street level of the building. Theres also ample in building parking included which is super rare in downtown.

Its a short drive on a one way street(Main St) to the 101 where you'll connect to the 60.

Its also not a far walk from Little Tokyo.

As to groceries...you can drive to Ralphs(validated 90 min parking)...its about a 5-10 minute drive down Spring to 8th st, left on Hope. Or its accessible by walking(around a mile) or by Redline with about 7-8 total blocks of walking.

With anything owned by Barry Shy(indicated by name, or by "SB" or "Shybarry") or anything owned by Essex Properties(Santee and Gas Company Lofts...maybe more), be very prepared to lose all of your deposit on move out, or some of it if you go to court and have documented everything well. Total, thats about a third of the properties in Downtown LA(They do not own the Medallion that I posted above).

Old 10-20-2013, 11:54 PM

925 posts, read 1,334,029 times
Past 1500, your options are better. Watch out for the lofts, some of them have really terrible views of another building across a small ally way or a tiny court yard view. Definitely visit the site to understand the view situation or noise situation (ie is there a big AC unit for a building nearby or large buses taking the route nearby) etc.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:16 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,801,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude007 View Post
What would I do without you! You mean 605South to 60East?
No, you'd take the 5 into work but go home taking the 605 to the 60 into downtown. 5 N is usually crappy. Then you have the 60w or 10w as a backup incase there is an accident on the 60.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: