Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 10:05 PM

284 posts, read 641,503 times

Advertisements

is LA a city with a facade? is it always what its made out to be? i usually hear of stories how LA can actually be a dark place with people doing anything for fame. has anyone who moved to LA to make it in entertainment made it? what was your experiences being in the hollywood scene?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 12:16 AM

28 posts, read 207,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach234 View Post
is LA a city with a facade? is it always what its made out to be? i usually hear of stories how LA can actually be a dark place with people doing anything for fame. has anyone who moved to LA to make it in entertainment made it? what was your experiences being in the hollywood scene?
People move here and succeed in the entertainment industry all the time. Obviously, more people fail than succeed though. Most people just don't have a passion for what they do and are seeking fame and fame alone. I'm not and was never "Hollywood", so I don't have a good answer for that. I did theatre occasionally because I enjoy acting and it's a hobby to me, but I enjoy my "real" job more. Are you planning a move here and have dreams of making it big? If so, that's great and I wish you the best of luck! But, understand you'll be competing against the absolute best of the best.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:05 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,453,251 times
If you're searching for drama in your life you'll usually find it, or create it. "A big facade" in "a dark place with people doing anything for fame" is certainly dramatic.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:17 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
LA is so many things. But it's a pretty misrepresented city. Check it out for yourself. However, no. It's not like that.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:42 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,032,148 times
LA is just a big city and a massive melting pot. It's far removed from the way it used to be, as the heyday of Hollywood is long past. It's quite fun to go to Hollywierd and Vine to take it all in for an afternoon of bizarre and interesting encounters. As for making it here... I guess that depends on how much talent you bring with you. I know many people who earn a decent living as extras, shoot crews, and set builders.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:58 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
All big cities in the world have facades, a "glittering image" that usually hides slums, poverty or desperation of various kinds.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:46 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,185,697 times
Quote:
people doing anything for fame. has anyone who moved to LA to make it in entertainment made it?
People moving to LA for the movies/entertainment is probably 1% of those who move here. Lately, not a lot of people moved here but historically they moved here for work in defense plants, technology, manufacturing, business, shipping (Asian), and home building.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:47 PM

733 posts, read 940,227 times
Don't most people have working knowledge of LA's dark side, even overstate it in their minds? Hardly a facade anymore.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:39 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,801,295 times
"A big facade" Let's see Bay watch, Beverly Hills 90210, Melrose Place, The Hills, Point Break, Fast and Furious, The Fresh Prince of Bel Air I'd say there is a Facade.

Has anyone move to LA and made it depends what you mean by make it. Arnold Schwarzenegger, Will Smith? I doubt you'll find those types in this type of internet forum to discuss their success, maybe follow them on twitter. Does the winner of Voice , American idol, or any other realty TV show count? Are you talking about fame, fortune. If you want to see where these famous actors and actress are actually buying , check out the real estate section of the LA Times.

Do anything for fame? You mean like a leak tape? No that doesn't happen here. And Why is Kim Kardashian famous again?

Are you considering moving to LA to be in film?

I've meet people that have made it in the industry if you consider having a well paying job making it.

The extent of my experience with the Hollywood scene is mingling with them in restaurants a lot, they just haven't caught their break yet.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:27 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
I am not involved in entertainment business, but I had family members in it. There are definitely a lot of people that are willing to 'do what it takes' for fame or a shot at fame.

It's probably similar to people wanting to get into the political scene in Washington D.C in ways.

Several times i've heard people say that Politics is "Hollywood for ugly people"..

Any type of super competitive industry, I think has the perception of having a 'dark side', hollywood, politics/lobbying, wall street, etc. One could also say that D.C or NYC and other cities have people that are striving for fame,power and money or all the above. Don't think this doesn't happen in smaller cities/less famous cities too, just on a different scale. Also despite what many think of the L.A entertainment business , not all the people in engaged in it are part of the darkside ... in Washington D.C?...that's another story!

Cheektowaga_Chester, 1% sounds low for the amount of people moving to L.A for entertainment business. Do you have any data on this? I feel it's much higher (but could be wrong).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles