Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 11:00 AM

1,830 posts, read 2,153,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnHawk View Post
If the Rams had any L.A. fans to begin with, they probably would have never left.
They had plenty. LA just happens to be one of the few cities that won't build football stadiums with taxpayer dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 11:11 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,186,890 times
Bring back one of the only four original Los Angeles area teams, the LA Chargers. (Kings, Ducks, Angels)

Old 11-18-2013, 11:57 AM

399 posts, read 728,921 times
A friend of mine when I lived in Southern California was a die-hard Rams fan. After they left before the 1995 season, I asked if he was no longer going to follow them, and he stated emphatically that he would remain a fan. I left the area a few years later and lost touch with him, but I assume he is still a fan. When the Rams won Super Bowl XXXIV, I though about him, finally his loyalty paid off

Old 11-18-2013, 12:04 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,043,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
They had plenty. LA just happens to be one of the few cities that won't build football stadiums with taxpayer dollars.
exactly. i can't help but roll my eyes at those who are unable or unwilling to comprehend this. after all, it's much more convenient for them to go with the tried-but-untrue cliche about LA "not being a football town". especially if they have an anti-LA agenda to begin with.

not to mention, these people never seem to acknowledge or even realize that the rams and raiders were both cursed with greedy, unscrupulous owners who had no qualms about screwing over their respective fanbases because of their inability to secure publicly financed stadiums in LA.

georgia frontiere moving the rams out of the LA area was especially egregious because she basically flipped the bird to 49 years of rams history in socal in exchange for a quick payday (free stadium with minimal rent) in her hometown of st. louis. al davis was a nutcase in his own right, but to be fair it seemed like he always had one foot out the door while the raiders were based in LA.

i think a lot of younger nfl fans don't realize that the rams were one of the most iconic, stable, and consistently successful franchises in the nfl during the ownership tenures of dan reeves (the man who brought the rams to LA from cleveland in 1946) and carroll rosenbloom - both of whom were universally respected in nfl ownership circles. then when rosenbloom drowned under extremely questionable circumstances in 1979, his black widow of a wife, frontiere, inherited the franchise, fired his son as team executive, and proceeded to run the rams into the ground over the next fifteen years before moving the team out of socal altogether.

ironically enough, the same sweetheart stadium deal that enabled st. louis to lure the rams back in 1995 may end up being responsible for the rams' departure out of STL and back to LA in the near future. incredibly, the rams have an out clause in their stadium lease after next season, and rumors are running rampant that they'll be returning to LA for the 2015 season.

will it definitely happen? who knows; there have been so many false starts over the past 18 years with regard to the nfl returning to LA. but with the farmers field proposal having passed all of its legal hurdles and reportedly still considered the most viable LA-area stadium option by the nfl, some team will likely be relocating soon enough.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transitfan View Post
A friend of mine when I lived in Southern California was a die-hard Rams fan. After they left before the 1995 season, I asked if he was no longer going to follow them, and he stated emphatically that he would remain a fan. I left the area a few years later and lost touch with him, but I assume he is still a fan. When the Rams won Super Bowl XXXIV, I though about him, finally his loyalty paid off
To me it is the city/region not the team/franchise/organization.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:19 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,153,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
exactly. i can't help but roll my eyes at those who are unable or unwilling to comprehend this. after all, it's much more convenient for them to go with the tried-but-untrue cliche about LA "not being a football town". especially if they have an anti-LA agenda to begin with.

not to mention, these people never seem to acknowledge or even realize that the rams and raiders were both cursed with greedy, unscrupulous owners who had no qualms about screwing over their respective fanbases because of their inability to secure publicly financed stadiums in LA.

georgia frontiere moving the rams out of the LA area was especially egregious because she basically flipped the bird to 49 years of rams history in socal in exchange for a quick payday (free stadium with minimal rent) in her hometown of st. louis. al davis was a nutcase in his own right, but to be fair it seemed like he always had one foot out the door while the raiders were based in LA.

i think a lot of younger nfl fans don't realize that the rams were one of the most iconic, stable, and consistently successful franchises in the nfl during the ownership tenures of dan reeves (the man who brought the rams to LA from cleveland in 1946) and carroll rosenbloom - both of whom were universally respected in nfl ownership circles. then when rosenbloom drowned under extremely questionable circumstances in 1979, his black widow of a wife, frontiere, inherited the franchise, fired his son as team executive, and proceeded to run the rams into the ground over the next fifteen years before moving the team out of socal altogether.

ironically enough, the same sweetheart stadium deal that enabled st. louis to lure the rams back in 1995 may end up being responsible for the rams' departure out of STL and back to LA in the near future. incredibly, the rams have an out clause in their stadium lease after next season, and rumors are running rampant that they'll be returning to LA for the 2015 season.

will it definitely happen? who knows; there have been so many false starts over the past 18 years with regard to the nfl returning to LA. but with the farmers field proposal having passed all of its legal hurdles and reportedly still considered the most viable LA-area stadium option by the nfl, some team will likely be relocating soon enough.
I agree with you completely. If LA isn't a football town. How did USC draw 93,000 on Saturday and the Bruins drew just under 70,000 on Friday?

Old 11-18-2013, 07:30 PM

305 posts, read 376,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
When the Rams moved to St. Louis, did most Rams fans keep on being Rams fans, or did most shift over to the San Diego Chargers?
I think some stayed St. Louis Rams fans. Others became Chargers or Cardinals fans. Common Rams fans are people that grew up in LA in the 60s and moved down to OC. So, they hate the Raiders.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGreat1 View Post
Common Rams fans are people that grew up in LA in the 60s and moved down to OC. So, they hate the Raiders.
I really don't know if this is true or not. Still, I don't understand why it is assumed it must be mutually exclusive. I wanted the Rams and the Raiders and the Dodgers and the Angels and USC and UCLA and the Kings and the Ducks and the Lakers and the Clippers to win. I am rooting for my location (Southern California) not the franchise.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:50 PM

305 posts, read 376,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
I really don't know if this is true or not. Still, I don't understand why it is assumed it must be mutually exclusive. I wanted the Rams and the Raiders and the Dodgers and the Angels and USC and UCLA and the Kings and the Ducks and the Lakers and the Clippers to win. I am rooting for my location (Southern California) not the franchise.
It is common. Not saying EVERY Rams fan is the same but, that is a common theme, at least in my experience. I've only met a few people who changed from Rams to Raiders. Anybody who had been to games at the Big A and the Coliseum could see the difference among fans. Rams were mellow and known for clapping/sitting down. Raiders were loud, in your face, and violent.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:40 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,636,582 times
I stopped being a Rams fan when they left L.A. for O.C.

I was never a Raiders or Chargers fan, and haven't followed the NFL for many many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles