Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 12:12 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,153,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Don't even get me started on the phenomenon of wealthy professional sports owners who want new venues built by the taxpayers - that is a big pet peeve of mine.

To address the Farmers' Field project - didn't that get sidetracked a bit when there was a management change in AEG earlier this year?
Yeah, when the Anschutz but AEG up for sale, there were many question marks. Then when he took the company off the sales block and Leiweke stepped down, there were even more questions marks. As of now though, Anschutz is still committed and has not shelved the project yet. This coming offseason is huge for the fate of Farmers Field. Especially since the deal with the city ends next year. Something has to happen after the season or it will definitely be another several years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 04:50 PM

305 posts, read 376,708 times
Quote:
I'll add my perspective as a long time Bay Area resident on the Raiders.

Actually, the pre-1981 Oakland Raiders fans were actually very polite and well-behaved by NFL standards - particularly when compared with their 49ers counterparts...especially in the old Kezar Stadium, where fans were known to pour beer on players such as QB John Brodie. I think this has a lot to do with the Raiders selling out their games - and thus the fans were season ticket holders, who year after year, sat by the same people. This has a lot to do with encouraging civil behavior.
Now once the Raiders moved to LA, and then back to Oakland in the 1990s, the team had a newer, younger, not as established fan base, and they couldn't sell out the stadium. This meant more casual attendees, which meant less inhibitions on their public behavior. So you got that black hole, gang mentality image.
The 49ers also went through changes in their fan base as they became contenders beginning in the Walsh era in the 1980s - and yes, you had that wine-and-cheese crowd come in, though of course not all or many of them were like that.
So my guess is that many of the old LA Rams fans were probably older, stable season ticket holders by comparison.
I agree about the 70s/60s Raider fans being polite and knowledgeable. I grew up watching the 70s and early 80s Raiders like Kenny King, Jim Plunkett, Lester Hayes, Mike Haynes, Ted Hendricks, Vann McElroy, Dalby, Branch, Barnwell, Casper, and Lawrence. I guess the increase in rowdiness of the fans is just a sign of the times in America, as it is not unusual to hear reports about stabbings and beatings in stadiums across the country.
About the Rams, my guess is that Georgia Frontiere had her pulse on LA's changing demographics and subsequently moved the team to Anaheim.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
Yep. Similarly, I attended a NY Giants [spits to cleanse the mouth] at Rams playoff game at Anaheim Stadium about 25 years ago. I was so annoyed. Not only did the Rams lose but the place was loaded with giants fans (just like yankees at angels or mets at dodgers or red sox at angels, etc).
Exactly. I remember seeing the 49ers and their fans just abuse the Rams. They had no business being in the NFL.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:36 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,566,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theGreat1 View Post
I agree about the 70s/60s Raider fans being polite and knowledgeable. I grew up watching the 70s and early 80s Raiders like Kenny King, Jim Plunkett, Lester Hayes, Mike Haynes, Ted Hendricks, Vann McElroy, Dalby, Branch, Barnwell, Casper, and Lawrence. I guess the increase in rowdiness of the fans is just a sign of the times in America, as it is not unusual to hear reports about stabbings and beatings in stadiums across the country.
About the Rams, my guess is that Georgia Frontiere had her pulse on LA's changing demographics and subsequently moved the team to Anaheim.
That really had nothing to do with the move. Carrol Rosembloom planned the relocation as early 1978 for the familiar reasons: luxury boxes and doing business with the Coliseum Commission. Many continue to forget USC plays there without incident. Anyway, shortly after the curious demise of Mr. Rosenbloom and his widow's hasty but totally unsupicious marriage to a man later convicted for tax evasion, Georgia simply executed the plan by moving her completely STD free carcass to OC.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:48 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,043,032 times
Quote:
To address the Farmers' Field project - didn't that get sidetracked a bit when there was a management change in AEG earlier this year?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Yeah, when the Anschutz but AEG up for sale, there were many question marks. Then when he took the company off the sales block and Leiweke stepped down, there were even more questions marks. As of now though, Anschutz is still committed and has not shelved the project yet. This coming offseason is huge for the fate of Farmers Field. Especially since the deal with the city ends next year. Something has to happen after the season or it will definitely be another several years.
the illusive man's answer is correct. a lot of people believed the proverbial fork was stuck in the farmers field project when tim leiweke was let go as AEG's president and CEO back in march, but phil anschutz subsequently reemphasized his interest in getting a deal done with an nfl franchise so that his company could begin constructing the stadium (ground will not be broken on the facility until a deal is reached). this was no small matter, as anschutz is a notoriously private man who almost never makes public statements; in fact, before this past march, it had been several decades since his last interview with the media.

over the past eight months, there have been numerous rumblings about the return of the nfl to LA, and reading between the lines, it's pretty apparent that farmers field is the only realistic stadium candidate if LA is to land a team in the next couple of years. while there have been recent articles about other LA-area sites supposedly being considered (e.g. hollywood park in inglewood and the dodger stadium parking lot), i don't believe either will ever happen, since overcoming the legal, environmental, and political hurdles necessary to put themselves in the same position as farmers field and grand crossing (city of industry) will take several years even if they started the process today.

to be honest, i think the only reason those other stadium sites are even being mentioned is because the nfl is leaking disinformation to the media to create leverage as they negotiate with anschutz.

although no one really knows for sure, there are more than a few media types who believe that secret negotiations between the nfl, anschutz, and one or more nfl owners (most likely stan kroenke, dean spanos, or mark davis) have been taking place for months behind the scenes. if this is true, and a deal is ultimately reached, then the nfl can make an announcement about the new LA team during one of the upcoming off-seasons without the ugly and embarrassing public relations nightmare and fan revolts that occurred when the browns and oilers announced their relocations way too early in advance.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:58 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,364,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post

although no one really knows for sure, there are more than a few media types who believe that secret negotiations between the nfl, anschutz, and one or more nfl owners (most likely stan kroenke, dean spanos, or mark davis) have been taking place for months behind the scenes. if this is true, and a deal is ultimately reached, then the nfl can make an announcement about the new LA team during one of the upcoming off-seasons without the ugly and embarrassing public relations nightmare and fan revolts that occurred when the browns and oilers announced their relocations way too early in advance.
You mean they can pull an overnight move without warning like the Colts did in moving from Baltimore to Indianapolis? The Irsay name is still pretty persona non grata in the state of Maryland.

Relocations are never popular with the residents of the city being departed, and particularly, if the municipality has ponied up some money for the stadium they are vacating.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
That really had nothing to do with the move. Carrol Rosembloom planned the relocation as early 1978 for the familiar reasons: luxury boxes and doing business with the Coliseum Commission. Many continue to forget USC plays there without incident. Anyway, shortly after the curious demise of Mr. Rosenbloom and his widow's hasty but totally unsupicious marriage to a man later convicted for tax evasion, Georgia simply executed the plan by moving her completely STD free carcass to OC.
You're probably right. As a Raider, I never really paid attention to the Rams. I've heard Georgia F. was a witch though.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
the illusive man's answer is correct. a lot of people believed the proverbial fork was stuck in the farmers field project when tim leiweke was let go as AEG's president and CEO back in march, but phil anschutz subsequently reemphasized his interest in getting a deal done with an nfl franchise so that his company could begin constructing the stadium (ground will not be broken on the facility until a deal is reached). this was no small matter, as anschutz is a notoriously private man who almost never makes public statements; in fact, before this past march, it had been several decades since his last interview with the media.

over the past eight months, there have been numerous rumblings about the return of the nfl to LA, and reading between the lines, it's pretty apparent that farmers field is the only realistic stadium candidate if LA is to land a team in the next couple of years. while there have been recent articles about other LA-area sites supposedly being considered (e.g. hollywood park in inglewood and the dodger stadium parking lot), i don't believe either will ever happen, since overcoming the legal, environmental, and political hurdles necessary to put themselves in the same position as farmers field and grand crossing (city of industry) will take several years even if they started the process today.
to be honest, i think the only reason those other stadium sites are even being mentioned is because the nfl is leaking disinformation to the media to create leverage as they negotiate with anschutz.
Didn't Roger Gooddell say something a month or two ago about wanting teams in London and LA? That would be cool. I would support a new franchise but, would not support a recycled team like the Jaguars.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:17 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,566,992 times
Quote:

In lieu of actual news on movement, there were 2 recent stories I think are interesting when read together.

1) Goodell issues edict/admonishment/reminder that the NFL does whatever the hell it wants, whenever it wants. The letter put prospective investors, existing owners (specifically, Mark Davis) and municipalities (Inglewood) on notice that any relocation to LA would be coordinated exclusively by the league, as to maximize overall profitability of all the billionaire owners. This includes paying the exorbitant relocation fee and accepting the league's condition to add a second tenant from a smaller market.

2) The mayor of Inglewood's making noise of revisiting the stadium plan for Hollywood Park. As you will recall, the NFL's squelching of this same plan caused Al Davis to return to Oakland, but not before he claimed exclusive right to the LA market going forward. The NFL had demanded Al Davis accept a second team in that proposed facility. I've got to think Goodell's letter was directed at Inglewood and Mark Davis so as to dissuade them from carving the rest of the league's owners out on any deal.

If NFL is ever to return, the first (and only) sign we need to see is direct involvement from the league office, not from an individual owner or city. At that point, 2 teams are more likely than 1. I've had the Rams and Jags for years now, and I'm sticking with that. When is anyone's guess.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:21 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,364,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theGreat1 View Post
Didn't Roger Gooddell say something a month or two ago about wanting teams in London and LA? That would be cool. I would support a new franchise but, would not support a recycled team like the Jaguars.
London as a prospective NFL city is just not logistically workable. The league does play one game a year there for promo purposes (e.g. to sell merchandise) and to gauge prospects of a move. The players generally hate the travel process and jet lag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles