Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 03:47 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,247,441 times

Advertisements

i dont even know if there IS a part of santa monica that has a lot of small businesses. like cool restaurants, bars, cafes like in venice.

ive driven a lot through wilshire and santa monica blvd. but i dont seem to see a lot of small business ...

are businesses in santa monica usually scattered all over the place or is there a specific "trendy" area?

i just moved into town to get closer to work & the beach and wanted to familiarize myself with it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 03:57 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
There are a bunch of small businesses in SM. The area by the beach is more of the trendy area ,and it seems to have gotten more trendy recently. Looks like many new places opening up.

The best way to find places is probably yelp.com Just put in your address and you'll bring up tons of places.
It's pretty easy to tell which places are the hotspots (usually # of reviews)

Old 12-02-2013, 04:01 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Cool and trendy how? In an annoying hipster douchey way? Or an industry cool and trendy?

Old 12-02-2013, 04:06 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Yeah true! Depends what you are looking for.

Also another thing to keep in mind is that Santa Monica has a huge number of tourists year round , so it might be harder to get a locals or neighborhood vibe. There might possibly be less tourists in the Downtown SM/Main Street area versus 3rd Street Promenade. The area is nice but also feels a bit snobby .

Old 12-02-2013, 04:09 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,197,308 times
Main St. has more of what you seek. That is the more bohemian part of SaMo.
Main Street Home Page - Restaurants, Retail Shopping, Unique Stores, Beachside, Westside, Entertainment, Santa Monica

Old 12-02-2013, 04:11 PM

367 posts, read 673,076 times
Main Street

theres some 'hip' coffee shops scattered around too, like 18th street coffee house and unurban

Old 12-02-2013, 04:13 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
The north (San Vicente/Montana), east, and southeast (Ocean Park/Sunset Park) parts of Santa Monica are sort of dead or boring. Heavily residential and lots of families. The action is at the far west end by Downtown/3rd St Promenade and the southwest end by Main Street.

Main Street is less touristy than Downtown/3rd St Promenade and caters to an eclectic group of locals.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:45 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
Main St and Montana have what you are looking for.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:09 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,429 times
I've lived in Santa Monica since the late 1980s. I hate trendy and cool. I avoid such places. I suppose you can find them on the Promenade, if you're into that. Plenty of pretentious places there. The kind with teensy-tiny tables and outdoor dining, where people go not to eat, but to impress and be seen.

Back in the late 1980s, before the Promenade (which I hate), there were plenty of honest, down-to-earth eateries in Santa Monica. Diners such as Biff's and Zucky's. Now they're gone. So too Norm's. And soon Denny's will close.

Right now, one of the last decent diners in SM is Izzy's on 15th and Wilshire. I like Izzy's. It's 24/7, with simple, basic diner food.

As for coffee shops, plenty of Starbucks in SM. I love Starbucks, though I wish they wouldn't offer wifi. Too many people camping out at Starbucks, pretending to work on their screenplays. I've actually looked at their laptop screens, and see the screenplay format.

Real, working TV writers have told me they never write in public. It's too distracting. Only poseurs write in public. Men with goatees or dreadlocks, hoping to impress aspiring actresses who might be passing by.

But if you like pretentious coffee shops, I hear the Unurban Cafe on Pico Blvd. is extremely pretentious. I've read reviews that the waiters there act like customers are a bother. And yes, they have poetry readings, and open mic nights where anyone can sing or play (or fumble through) a guitar.

Last edited by Cinema Cat; 12-02-2013 at 11:23 PM..

Old 12-03-2013, 12:16 AM

513 posts, read 913,947 times
Santa Monica has a lot of trendy, small restaurants and bars. I think Main Street and Montana offer a really good selection. The areas surrounding the Promenade have great places, but not ON 3rd St. - look more like around 2nd St and 4th. Ocean avenue has lots of good places, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles