Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 09:49 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times

Advertisements

I'll be honest it's politics. Most who dislike California do so because of the liberal mindset it is seen as having.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:35 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
I also think its mostly political and what CA stands for and how it influences the rest of the nation.

But I also think there's a tinge of envy for it being such a beautiful and innovative state with its creative atmosphere. California is a haven for artists and innovators.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:38 AM

2 posts, read 2,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I've noticed that people tend to have some really strong feelings toward LA and CA in general. It's either a passionate dislike for it or a love for it. I really don't get it. Whenever people are asked what's the coolest State in the Union they're bias when they choose their own State or admit CA is the best, but a lot also seem it's befitting to chime in that they absolutely hate CA, as though with a passion. I really don't know how on Earth someone could hate a State that much but they do. It's weird.

What is it about CA and Los Angeles that just strikes up a hatred for it? It's not just a casual indifference either, it's passionate hatred for it with such words as cesspool, putrid and needs to be cut off the map in a hellish earthquake.

Now that I am living here, I'm bias but I really think it's envy. I am the type that never assumes envy because it's a knee jerk reaction to probably well placed criticism but with this one I am going to go with envy. It's really like hating the popular girl in school but we all know she's gorgeous and rich, and hope she just gets pregnant after high school, gains weight and becomes a depressed suburban housewife or something.

I mean I love my hometown and every other town I've lived in, but LA takes the cake in so many ways. After living here I can see why the rest of the nation is labeled as "fly over country". Not to be derogatory but the level of creativity, eclecticism, and overall uniqueness is essentially only matched by NYC, period. LA has it all.

I don't want to go on a full on generalization about the hate, but I just don't think it's merited.

What do you guys think?
Envy is a good way to put it, I've traveled to different places around the world and notice people's responses when I tell them I'm from LA. The usual response is somewhat of a fascination like "wow you're from Los Angeles?" kind of vibe. I get this a lot especially from people who don't travel and get out of their city/town much

Old 12-28-2013, 11:42 AM

87 posts, read 133,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -dude- View Post
People don't like Los Angeles because it's the city that caters to rich people. Let me explain.

80% of world's population( so is 80% of USA,California, LA etc.) consist of working middle class, and Los Angeles just isn't the city that was meant for middle class, it never was. Being middle class in LA means struggle, on many occasions living in high crime areas with dirty streets, very bad infrastructure, ugly buildings around you, ugly little houses with brown burned front lawns, to make it short if you're a middle class in LA, there's very few things that will give you a piece of mind when you leave your house in the morning.

On the other hand, there's rich LA, places like Palisades, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Malibu, Manhattan Beach, Hollywood Hills, Brentwood, Westwood, that are just unreal. Every city in the world, of course, has nice areas where the rich live, but the nice areas of Los Angeles are in league of it's own. Just for example. North of Montana in Santa Monica- unreal. Beverly Hills Flats- unreal. Oakmont Drive in Brentwood- unreal. Lachman Lane in Palisades-unreal. So, those areas are the lifestyle that most people, not just in LA or USA, but in the world strives to get. It represents the American dream, driving a big SUV, an italian sports car, living in a big mansion, fancy clothes, bottle service in Hollywood nightclubs. The ultimate success.

And that's the main problem in my opinion. The difference beetween areas that are meant for middle class folks to live in and rich people to live in LA is just super super huge. Compared to other global cities, like Tokyo, London, Paris ( didn't mention New York City on purpose, because it's in the same basket as LA on this one), not to mention smaller but very progressive cities like Geneve, Barcelona or Munchen, 80% of LA, in fact, is downright cesspool.

And that's the root of hatred towards LA in my opinion. Is it justified? I think it is.
I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but the middle class was huge in LA up until about the 60's. The wealth gap between middle and rich has also greatly increased in the last 20 years. Even more so in just the last 10..

This thread hits almost every possible point and it is weird that there's so much hatred for LA. Even SF has so much hate for LA, but really LA people do not care about SF, they'll visit if not live there for long durations.They're not snobby about it.
LA has too large a diversity of citizen to really categorize easily. Some types of citizens stick out more...but really numbers wise, it's a different world than many think of as LA.

LA is always rapidly changing too. As a city it is completely comfortable forgetting what it was, and just moving into a new phase.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:44 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
i think it is not true that people hate california. they love california it is beautiful. i think people hate californians.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:28 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,564,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I'll be honest it's politics. Most who dislike California do so because of the liberal mindset it is seen as having.
If wing-nuts are upset we haven't jumped on their short bus and elected a bunch of tea-bagging dumb-****s to shut down government and send the nation into default, I welcome their hatred. Bring it.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:19 PM

355 posts, read 1,230,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I've noticed that people tend to have some really strong feelings toward LA and CA in general. It's either a passionate dislike for it or a love for it. I really don't get it. Whenever people are asked what's the coolest State in the Union they're bias when they choose their own State or admit CA is the best, but a lot also seem it's befitting to chime in that they absolutely hate CA, as though with a passion. I really don't know how on Earth someone could hate a State that much but they do. It's weird.

What is it about CA and Los Angeles that just strikes up a hatred for it? It's not just a casual indifference either, it's passionate hatred for it with such words as cesspool, putrid and needs to be cut off the map in a hellish earthquake.

Now that I am living here, I'm bias but I really think it's envy. I am the type that never assumes envy because it's a knee jerk reaction to probably well placed criticism but with this one I am going to go with envy. It's really like hating the popular girl in school but we all know she's gorgeous and rich, and hope she just gets pregnant after high school, gains weight and becomes a depressed suburban housewife or something.

I mean I love my hometown and every other town I've lived in, but LA takes the cake in so many ways. After living here I can see why the rest of the nation is labeled as "fly over country". Not to be derogatory but the level of creativity, eclecticism, and overall uniqueness is essentially only matched by NYC, period. LA has it all.

I don't want to go on a full on generalization about the hate, but I just don't think it's merited.

What do you guys think?

There are two reasons why someone would hate L.A.: out of jealousy or because of some reason related to politics (economy, gas prices, cost of living, etc.). When my family found out I moved to L.A., all of a sudden, I was pounded with a MILLION questions; What made you want to move there? How do you like it? What famous people have you met? I was suddenly popular in a matter of minutes. lol

L.A. has the most beautiful scenery in all of the U.S. IMO. It has celebrities, the entertainment industry, beaches and a lot of "well-to-do" people live here. This will either bring disgust, curiousity and/or jealousy. One of the reasons I moved to L.A. was because I wanted to be surrounded by other creative people. It had nothing to do with celebrities or the entertainment industry. You will NOT get the same level of creativity in places like Michigan or even Atlanta....sorry, but that's the truth.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:23 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,423,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
If wing-nuts are upset we haven't jumped on their short bus and elected a bunch of tea-bagging dumb-****s to shut down government and send the nation into default, I welcome their hatred. Bring it.
Just one short generation ago, California brought us Reagan and was a solidly Republican state, with the #1 public school system in the country. Now California is #45-48 state in public education and solidly Democratic.

What has changed is California's demographics, because the state has essentially an open-borders policy. By mid-2014, California will have a Hispanic majority, when one generation ago they weren't even 1/5th the population. It would be one thing if your state kept all of your illegals for yourself, but you are the #1 gateway state for the millions of illegal immigrants and their spawn into the rest of our country.

It's not hatred, it's dismay that the rest of the country will turn into Mexifornia as well and we had no say. Not all of us think this is a wonderful thing.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:24 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Anger issues?

FYI not everyone finds CA beautiful. I lived there as a child and I like the green of the east better. Seeing the leaves change every year is amazing. It's funny how much you miss it when it's gone. That and I don't like earthquakes. To each his own though. I could care less about CA. It would be an okay vacation spot, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:52 PM

150 posts, read 281,782 times
California has about everything you want it to be and everything you don't want it to be. Big cities are more expensive. It's not just an LA thing. There are suburbs and exurbs that are cheap. Politically it shifts over time. Rich people tend to live in desirable places and california has an abundance of such places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles