Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 08:00 PM

7 posts, read 34,647 times

Advertisements

A family member just got a job and is relocating there. He knows nothing about the area, but everything I've seen makes it seem pretty bad.

Any locals out there that can give me/him the real story?

He's also looking for apartments that have fios. Are there any apartments that offer this in either Venice, Santa Monica, or Marina Del Rey?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 08:04 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,797,101 times
All cities are bad, just accept it and live with it. Don't have a false sense of security based on zipcode. When you hear bad things happen to a person multiple times , you have to wonder why and what makes them a target. You'll always heard about someone that knows someone that had something bad happen to them. Any time you mix a lot of haves and have nots, what do you expect.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:26 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,842 times
All 3 areas are more than fine. Just exercise caution and common sense at night. I wouldn't walk during with headphones at night in any neighborhood, I also wouldn't stagger drunk too far, or obviously carry too many valuables, etc.

Fios, well, parts of Santa Monica have fios, but the thing about it is that it tends to be in less dense areas with houses, not apartments. I think because they have to dig up the streets to put in the fiber optics. Most of Santa Monica north of Montana has it, but the area by the 3rd st promenade does not (at least that's what people have told me)

Old 12-17-2013, 11:34 PM

513 posts, read 913,274 times
Santa Monica is very safe, I've lived there and never, ever had any issues, always felt safe walking at night. It's probably one of the safest areas in the Westside.

Marina del Rey is also very safe, but it's a very small area.

Venice has areas that are hit and miss. Some areas in Venice are not the best, pretty ghetto, but some are really nice, especially near Abbot Kinney and /or the canals.

Of all three, I'd say Santa Monica is the safest, the cleanest and the one with the most things to do. Of course, that makes Santa Monica the most expensive of all three as well.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamajack78 View Post
Of all three, I'd say Santa Monica is the safest, the cleanest and the one with the most things to do. Of course, that makes Santa Monica the most expensive of all three as well.
That surprised me, with about everything over 1M in Venice, I'd figure the rents would be high too.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:52 AM

513 posts, read 913,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
That surprised me, with about everything over 1M in Venice, I'd figure the rents would be high too.
Rents in SM are the most expensive in L.A. Venice rents are pretty high as well.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:55 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,013,150 times
If you have an address you can search on the Verizon FIOS page to see if it has FIOS service. I wouldn't count on most apartments having FIOS though. It's pretty rare in my experience. Time Warner Cable has a lock on most apartments. Their standard internet bundle is pretty fast (15-20Mbps).

Old 12-18-2013, 09:08 PM

Look how safe Venice is, the concerned people are cleansing the streets of the homeless:
Warning violent video

Caught on Video: Venice Boardwalk Folding Chair Attack | NBC Southern California

Old 12-18-2013, 09:14 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,196,222 times
That's the Venice of my youth. Yikes.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:06 PM

601 posts, read 755,470 times
I live in Santa Monica and went for a 1 mile tipsy stroll home at 2 in the morning earlier this week. Your friend will be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles