Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 09:06 AM

925 posts, read 1,333,851 times

Advertisements

HI

Does anyone know if taxi in DT will pick people up for short commutes like city taxis or are they all waiting for the big distance/fare customers? IE from apartment to union station/club/etc Aprox 1 mile . Either by running into them where they are waiting around or via phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 11:26 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Not too sure, but you could use a service like Uber or Lyft. Nice part is you can request a taxi and know where they are from your phone. The rates are also less I believe.

https://www.uber.com/

Lyft | On-demand ridesharing

There are others as well...Uber also has a ton of promos for first time users like $20, etc. They seem to be doing a lot of marketing .

Old 12-19-2013, 02:27 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
Why would it be different in dtla vs somewhere else? Taxis in general like to moan and complain about fares. Usually they like longer ones and will give you major attitude for short trips. That's why I don't deal with them. Go with uber or lyft. They won't give you a hard time for going 1 mile.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:52 PM

546 posts, read 817,933 times
I have taken taxi's for shop hops in downtown LA no problem. There is a taxi stand/line at 7th/Fig where the taxis line up. I have flagged down empty taxis late at night when I was looking for a (short) ride as in 1 mile. But you can't always count on finding one that is empty/available. But you can also just call for a dipatch.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:30 PM

451 posts, read 562,852 times
I suggest you always carry cash if you're going to travel such short distances. For the most part, drivers may not want to take you such short distances, and even less so if there's an event going around town and you only have a credit card. They may even drive away as you tell them you only had a credit card. This happened to me all the time when I lived in San Diego. I can't really attest to the cabs in DTLA since when I lived there I just walked. But make sure you tell them you have cash and you should be good.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:04 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Why would it be different in dtla vs somewhere else? Taxis in general like to moan and complain about fares. Usually they like longer ones and will give you major attitude for short trips. That's why I don't deal with them. Go with uber or lyft. They won't give you a hard time for going 1 mile.
I drove a taxi for a year in the late 90's and my experience was that the shorter rides were not bad at all. You could make quite a bit of you had 1 mile fares all night. And the reason is because you are getting people out of the cab quickly and even with short rides the meter started at $3.

The distance of the ride did not matter that much. The worst fares where fares that took you to parts of the city where it would be very unlikely to get a return fare.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
I drove a taxi for a year in the late 90's and my experience was that the shorter rides were not bad at all. You could make quite a bit of you had 1 mile fares all night. And the reason is because you are getting people out of the cab quickly and even with short rides the meter started at $3.

The distance of the ride did not matter that much. The worst fares where fares that took you to parts of the city where it would be very unlikely to get a return fare.
I agree, and Uber drivers especially like short trips because they get a minimum of $15. But I've found a lot of cab drivers are mad about the short trips, especially when they've had to wait in line for a long time at a hotel, mall, or bar area.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:15 AM

925 posts, read 1,333,851 times
15 bucks is a bit much for a mile. Normally, i would not mind to walk but would like a option when returning late from a bar/club or having to carry luggage to union station.

Too bad they don't have a DASH bus operating 24hrs or sufficently thru the weekend. It would be great if they had one bus that just travel thru all the big roads every 30 mins during non-core hours.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:27 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Only time I used Uber (in the valley) it was pretty good. It was actually UberX which is a cheaper version of their black car service. It was a very short ride and the driver was quite nice. It was probably a mile ride or even less.

I would definitely use the service again. I don't think it was that much, maybe the $15 thing is new.. or maybe the company is using their own money to supplement the drivers..

They have a ton of investors money now and are expanding like crazy. They are even overseas now.

Even in China! .. Uber Drives Into A Second Chinese City

Old 12-20-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Only time I used Uber (in the valley) it was pretty good. It was actually UberX which is a cheaper version of their black car service. It was a very short ride and the driver was quite nice. It was probably a mile ride or even less.

I would definitely use the service again. I don't think it was that much, maybe the $15 thing is new.. or maybe the company is using their own money to supplement the drivers..

They have a ton of investors money now and are expanding like crazy. They are even overseas now.

Even in China! .. Uber Drives Into A Second Chinese City
I should clarify, Uber black car minimum is $15, which usually takes you up to a mile, maybe 1.5

Uber X's minimum is $8.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles