Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 07:00 AM

131 posts, read 307,555 times

Advertisements

I just applied for a job at Kaiser Permanente in Panorama City. My husband and I are in our late 20s, don't want kids, and looking for a new and interesting place to live. We currently live in SC and we hate it. We enjoy watersports, hiking, kayaking, shopping, sight seeing, and much more. We are pretty open minded.

With that said, can you tell me anything about the area? Is it urban or suburban? Boring or exciting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 07:28 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Panorama City, Los Angeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not so new, but it will be interesting and exciting. Bring those open minds with you.

Not much in the way of water-sports close by, except for the ocean within commuting distance. No kayaking that I know of.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:46 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
It's Southern California, there's always something interesting to do. Focus on commuting and neighborhood quality. You can always trek to kayaking and hiking on weekends when you'll have the time to do those things.

Depending on your budget, you might like to live a little further south in Sherman Oaks or Encino areas or perhaps Studio City (art/entertainment industry crowd) or Burbank (though more older people in Burbank). More interesting, more amenities, probably more people in your age demographic group. Traffic heading north to Panorama City on the 405, 5 or 170 probably isn't that bad in the morning (but I am not totally sure - check Sigalert.com Los Angeles Traffic Map during your expected commute times).

Panorama City is almost in the heart of the San Fernando Valley. Lots of immigrants. Not too modern (still visible power lines, bill boards, no master planning), flat, monotonous, inhabited by some 1st generation Americans, kids who speak English as a second language, strip malls, apartments, family single family ranch style homes, light industry.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:06 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Both Lake Piru and Castaic Lake are about an hour away for those fresh water pursuits such as water and jet skiing, although Lake Piru prohibits PWC.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:10 AM

About how much would we need to spend to get a nice rental? Our household income would be around $150k give or take a little.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:20 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
A maximum of 25% of your take home pay is a good start. That should be more than enough to get you into a good place in a good area.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:59 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,147,704 times
Three areas I will throw in
  1. Santa Clarita, suburban, family style. Easy commute to Panorama City and lots of outdoor activities, including lakes, close.
  2. Woodland Hills. Shopping, lots of shopping. Some clubs, easy access to the beach as well as the Santa Monica Mountains for hiking and bicycling.
  3. Sherman Oaks, night life, shopping, access to Santa Monica Mountains for hiking/biking. Access to the beach is a little further than Woodland Hills

I prefer the water sports, including kayaking, on the ocean rather than lakes. If you prefer lakes, I would consider Santa Clarita.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:20 AM

106 posts, read 390,210 times
I moved out here 2 years ago from Spartanburg, I currently reside in Woodland Hills. I would recommend only considering south of ventura blvd if you can. Personally I would choose Encino, Woodland Hills, Sherman Oaks in no particular order. Woodland Hills has the best value in housing bar none and is super close to the canyons and beaches. Encino has a great stretch of ventura in the encino commons, woodland hills is the most convenient neighborhood in LA, Sherman Oaks has the nicest mix of city and suburb.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:40 AM

Perek, are you glad you made the move? How expensive is it compared to what we're used to here in South Carolina?

Old 10-01-2010, 01:34 PM

106 posts, read 390,210 times
Best decision I ever made. Sure it's more expensive, there is a reason for that. Happiness > Money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles