Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 01:29 PM

31 posts, read 65,780 times

Advertisements

Hi all, first time poster looking for advice.

I graduated from the University of Iowa with a BA in International Studies (East Asian Emphasis) in 2012. After graduation I accepted a job with the Japanese government teaching English at a Japanese Junior High School in Kobe, Japan. I really didn't like the job, so I did it from July 2012 until September of this year when I resigned and moved back home...with my parents.

Since returning to the US i've been applying for tons of jobs outside Iowa, but haven't heard anything back other than rejections. I've gotten a few job offers here and there since i've been in Iowa, but the thought of living here anymore depresses me, and each day I get sad at the thought of living here one day longer. I have no friends left here, my parents are depressing to be around (because they hate living here too), and in general being here just depresses me.

I've been volunteering at my local Junior Achievement since the end of November, and it's been fun, but I want to work again.

I really would love to move to LA. I'm gay, and living in Iowa makes it almost impossible to date anyone or meet potential life partners. Not to mention I want to live somewhere where I have the potential to continue using my Japanese skills I picked up in Japan and during college so as not to lose them. I've visited LA multiple times and know there's the whole "Little Tokyo" thing there. It sounds like California doesn't even consider people who don't already live in California though.

So I figure might as well just set a date (say, Feb. 1 for arguments sake), and just up and move without a job or a place to live lined up.

I have $9,500 saved. Is this enough to last me a little while? What are job prospects like? Any tips in general of finding a place to stay? I don't know anyone in the area already

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 02:35 PM

8,555 posts, read 10,981,308 times
Before any move, I would suggest you try applying online for work here in Los Angeles, in your chosen field.
Here, the money get eaten up fast, so you really need that all important job before making the move.
Secondly, you will want to move close to your job, so consider that when looking for a place to live.
I am sending you a direct message, so check for it.
Bob.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:42 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Little Tokyo is cool, but very small. You have a decent amount of money saved up, I'd say just jump.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:13 PM

601 posts, read 755,981 times
What sort of job would you be looking for moving here? I've heard that teaching is next to impossible to get into right now, budget cuts and hiring freezes. Plus, there's the ironic twist that if you're looking for ESL teaching positions using your Japanese skills in the US, you could still be competing against native Japanese speakers who are here on visa for work/school/etc.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:11 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,635,778 times
You might want to try some online networking first (business and social). Check out SoCal Social Club for starters.

SoCal Social Club

Old 12-29-2013, 09:31 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,852,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkyPunks View Post
What sort of job would you be looking for moving here? I've heard that teaching is next to impossible to get into right now, budget cuts and hiring freezes. Plus, there's the ironic twist that if you're looking for ESL teaching positions using your Japanese skills in the US, you could still be competing against native Japanese speakers who are here on visa for work/school/etc.
Teaching isn't impossible to get into, just that the OP doesn't have the right degree to teach English/ESL (high school or college or vocational).

He would probably be qualified to teach high school social science courses (like history and economics), but he would have to jump through hoops to get all the various certificates and testing done in order to secure a non-temporary high school teaching job.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:23 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
Teaching isn't impossible... he would have to jump through hoops to get all the various certificates and testing done in order to secure a non-temporary high school teaching job.
There is a way to be a teacher in the school system without any hoop-jumping, and they do it in Los Angeles:

Teach For America | Home

Old 12-30-2013, 09:45 AM

31 posts, read 65,780 times
Thanks for the replies guys! I'm actually not interested in teaching though (one of the reasons I quit my job in Japan). I'm more interested in positions with non-profit organizations or universities.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:26 PM

601 posts, read 755,981 times
Ah, neat. Ignore what I said then. Welcome.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:37 PM

5,485 posts, read 3,929,244 times
I have nothing to contribute advice-wise, but I just felt compelled to mention that your "for argument's sake" date is actually likely to be the exact date I make the move (which may only be a PDF-style (reference to another forum member) short-term move, we'll see). I've got less in savings and no job lined up, but I do have a 1BR Hollywood apartment that I'll be able to use for free from February to April. Good luck, OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles