Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 01:55 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,631,685 times

Advertisements

Say I take the metro red line from downtown LA? Can I walk the rest of the way to Universal? According to Google maps directions, I would have to walk at least 25 minutes the rest of the way to the entrance. Looking at street view, I really don't see an easier way. It's very confusing. Apparently, the subway goes into the Hollywood Hills. I really didn't want to have to call a taxi and waste unnecessary money. I know it's expensive for a 5-10 minute ride anywhere in LA. Looking at the entrance way, it seems I would look poor walking to the theme park. I see cars cars and cars. Nobody is walking. If that's the case, I guess I will have to settle for the taxi. Please help. Thanks.

EDIT: Nevermind! I looked again this time and I DID see people walking! Thanks but nevermind! Let this thread quickly die...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 02:18 AM

39 posts, read 84,295 times
Take the redline to Universal City... Then there's a free shuttle up the hill, start walking up towards universal from the Red line and you'll see the shuttle along with a lot of people around. General Rule: Follow the crowds from the Red line to Universal, they know where they are going.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:37 AM

237 posts, read 669,149 times
Yes, the shuttle takes lots of people from Red Line. Extremely accessible. Just cross the street. The shuttle will leave you at the City Walk complex of Universal Studios. This is a free admission area of restaurants, shops, etc. The main gate for entrance to the studio tours is at north end or your left when getting off the tram.

However, DO NOT walk up or down the hill to the RED Line at night. I know of one person who was mugged walking down to the Red Line at night, and I know another who fought off a mugger when he wandered from the Red Line station. Both of them worked at the Universal restaurants. So, always use the tram shuttle to access or leave the Universal Studios property. If it is far into the evening, then please consider taking a cab from City Walk back to where you are staying. It is worth every penny not be a victim of crime. Otherwise it is quite safe.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:25 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,362,197 times
You could walk there from San Diego if you want. It will take a while but you can do it. As for me I don't mind paying the parking fee to drive up to the place.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:28 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,443,132 times
Just take the shuttle. Take the Red Line to Universal City station, walk across the street and follow the signs to the "Universal Studios Shuttle". The shuttle runs from 7AM until 2 hours after the theme park closes and will take you up the hill. Its a piece of cake.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:31 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,237,768 times
I've done it without the shuttle. Even walking uphill beats parking and driving, if you ask me.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:49 PM

85 posts, read 177,512 times
That hill is a good way to gauge your fitness.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:54 PM

8,329 posts, read 13,465,162 times
Who gives a rat's s what people think! Even if that was true, I rather look fit and poor than look rich and fat. Besides, you really need to get your metabolism going if you are planning on eating any of the food there...

Old 06-30-2010, 12:53 AM

63 posts, read 281,427 times
I have walked up and down that hill 2 times. I guess 25 min sounds right from the bottom to City Walk but I recall it seeming much quicker.

Many people walk up and down the hill. I've seen people doing it everytime I've drove up and down it. Heh!

I've never had any problems with muggers, etc.. My girlfriend and I walked down the main road at 1am looking for pizza and beer

Old 06-30-2010, 01:41 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,031,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKerry View Post
Yes, the shuttle takes lots of people from Red Line. Extremely accessible. Just cross the street. The shuttle will leave you at the City Walk complex of Universal Studios. This is a free admission area of restaurants, shops, etc. The main gate for entrance to the studio tours is at north end or your left when getting off the tram.

However, DO NOT walk up or down the hill to the RED Line at night. I know of one person who was mugged walking down to the Red Line at night, and I know another who fought off a mugger when he wandered from the Red Line station. Both of them worked at the Universal restaurants. So, always use the tram shuttle to access or leave the Universal Studios property. If it is far into the evening, then please consider taking a cab from City Walk back to where you are staying. It is worth every penny not be a victim of crime. Otherwise it is quite safe.
Thanks for the warning. I haven't been to Universal in over 15 years and was wondering how to access Universal from the Red Line. I'll likely take the shuttle both ways and leave before it gets dark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles