Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 02:28 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,332,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygogetter View Post
My mom never told me to work during high school.
Ever think about getting a second opinion? Or open your eyes to what your peers around you were doing? Didn't you ever talk to teachers or guidance counselors?

Quote:
I did work finally for a week through a program in high school but I quit that.
Quote:
Then I went on after high school, did 1 year of college and quit that,
Quote:
then found another job quit that,
Quote:
Passing the driving written exam and driving test exams are too hard for me.
Quote:
I have looked at those, a lot are out of state or require stuff.
Sounds like you are a lost cause bro. About the only advice I can offer you now is to go hang out at Best Buy and look for the best empty washing machine carton you can find and drag it to the underside of your nearest freeway bridge.

Because with that attitude and drive, or rather, the LACK of it, that's about the best you'll ever be able to hope for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 05:22 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,037,035 times
Adult school? Learn a skill:

Career and Technical Education • Departments - Burbank Adult School

Old 01-19-2014, 05:23 PM

621 posts, read 1,032,961 times
I'm not going to school.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:37 PM

-and he's not going to get a job either. Maybe he could start his own business but if his posts are to be believed, it's probably too hard to get out of bed every day.

Your last ditch hope-and this is a VERY long shot....would be to start a website of some kind similar to CD, but tailored to an area of interest that you are knowledgeable about...like cars, scrapbooking, photography, or whatever. Find some creative way to differentiate it from all the other sites out there that cater to the same audience. Believe me...there is no hobby that you could possibly think of that can attract a crowd that doesn't already have a forum based site set up to it. So here, your creativity will be the first and most important decision you can make. You said you did freelance writing? So you should have some kind of thinking skills. Think of this as taking it to the next level.

Conceptualize it. Draw up a charter and vision. Launch it. Promote it. Then when you have a good amount of unique visitors, try and sell advertising and/or paid memberships. It won't be much at first. But it could be something. It would be extraordinarily difficult to pull this off, but it is possible.

Like I said. It's a long shot. And requires innovation, creativity, drive, and discipline. But it CAN be done. If you can at least get motivated about that.

And no, this is not to be confused with blogging. 95% of all blogs out there have one reader: the blogger him/herself. I'm talking an actual website. You will need to think of a name, register it, set up a hosting service, and decide what kind of platform you want to run it on. But of course this will take some upfront money.

Doesn't look like any other job will suit you. One certainly isn't going to just fall out of the sky.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:47 PM

21 posts, read 40,834 times
Quote:
My mom never told me to work during high school. I did work finally for a week through a program in high school but I quit that. Then I went on after high school, did 1 year of college and quit that, then found another job quit that, and been doing the freelance writing thing without getting paid. Yes I live at home with my parents so what. I don't have a car or license either. Passing the driving written exam and driving test exams are too hard for me. So me driving a forklift is out of the question, and Trader Joes box boy/girl probably want someone with experience anyway.
Alright, this is going to sound mean, but it's not meant to get you down...

Really think about this: Why would anyone want to hire you? What skills or special qualities do you have that might make you a better choice than any of the other people applying for a job?

Old 01-19-2014, 05:48 PM

805 posts, read 1,558,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
-and he's not going to get a job either. Maybe he could start his own business but if his posts are to be believed, it's probably too hard to get out of bed every day.

Your last ditch hope-and this is a VERY long shot....would be to start a website of some kind similar to CD, but tailored to an area of interest that you are knowledgeable about...like cars, scrapbooking, photography, or whatever. Find some creative way to differentiate it from all the other sites out there that cater to the same audience. Believe me...there is no hobby that you could possibly think of that can attract a crowd that doesn't already have a forum based site set up to it. So here, your creativity will be the first and most important decision you can make. You said you did freelance writing? So you should have some kind of thinking skills. Think of this as taking it to the next level.

Conceptualize it. Draw up a charter and vision. Launch it. Promote it. Then when you have a good amount of unique visitors, try and sell advertising and/or paid memberships. It won't be much at first. But it could be something. It would be extraordinarily difficult to pull this off, but it is possible.

Like I said. It's a long shot. And requires innovation, creativity, drive, and discipline. But it CAN be done. If you can at least get motivated about that.

And no, this is not to be confused with blogging. 95% of all blogs out there have one reader: the blogger him/herself. I'm talking an actual website. You will need to think of a name, register it, set up a hosting service, and decide what kind of platform you want to run it on. But of course this will take some upfront money.

Doesn't look like any other job will suit you. One certainly isn't going to just fall out of the sky.
Don't bother. Your other post nailed it. The OP has no interest in working, likes to play victim, blames others and has zero insight into the fact that the reason he or she is 26 and has no job or career skills is 100% his fault but would rather blame others, use excuses and go no where.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:18 PM

22,658 posts, read 24,581,931 times
Learn a trade, something that is in demand and also interests you. Maybe go a 6 month school then get a job.

If you don't have something valuable to offer.....you will most likely always be at the bottom of the barrel and make low $$$$$$$$.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:24 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,412,451 times
Quote:
My mom never told me to work during high school. I did work finally for a week through a program in high school but I quit that. Then I went on after high school, did 1 year of college and quit that, then found another job quit that, and been doing the freelance writing thing without getting paid. Yes I live at home with my parents so what. I don't have a car or license either. Passing the driving written exam and driving test exams are too hard for me. So me driving a forklift is out of the question, and Trader Joes box boy/girl probably want someone with experience anyway.
No, these things aren't out of the question. This is how people get started. The jobs suggested to you require no experience. But if you're unwilling to put effort in, then of course you won't get those jobs.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:50 PM

621 posts, read 1,032,961 times
I have a website I run and make some money off GoogleAdsense but their thresholdis only $100 a month and that won't pay for rent for a apartment or house or even utility bills. I have a portfolio site, and phootography site too. Yes I have tried selling my stuff to online magazines, newspapers, and wesbites and they all never write me back or offer payment.

Going to school is just not my thing whether it'd be online at home or in person at a school. Its too much money and waste of time. Too many people with a degree and no job so why bother.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:54 PM

Then what do you expect or hope to happen? You have no skills, no education, no experience, no motivation, no appetite for risk, no desire to get any of those.

Whiskey tango foxtrot dude? You're not only going to have a hard time earning a living, but garnering support and sympathy as well. At least many people out there are TRYING. You seem to have gone down without a fight but are still whining about being defeated. Go buy some Lottery tickets then. Maybe you'll get lucky.

All of us here have offered you some solid sage advice but apparently you don't want to take any of it to heart.

So all I can recommend now is either the GE or the Maytag box. Cuz with that defeatist/no desire/no effort mentality you quite flippantly exhibit, that's exactly where you are headed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles