Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2007, 12:21 AM

5 posts, read 17,413 times

Advertisements

hi everyone.
im 19 and planning to attend Santa Monica College in spring 2008. since i never been to the states, this is my adventure to go to LA.

i have no friends,relatives,houses,cars, and credit in LA and i think i could rent a room near SMC. Where can i rent online???? i dont think i would be allowed to leave Guam without a prospective shelter in the destination.

WHere can i rent rooms??

IF i rent rooms online(99%), how can i avoid being duped or cheated?

When should i go to LA? (the spring semester begins in 11th Feb., and i dont want to be there too early)

How do i pay for the bills ? (i have no credit cards, but i dont want to bring too much cash)

IS it hard for me to find a job in LA without a car? i know english and chinese.

in addition, i dont know how to prepare for my trip and need some more suggestions. can you guys help please?

i really appreciate it.

Jack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 01:16 AM

153 posts, read 637,541 times
As to your housing problem, SMC should be able to put you in contact with people needing roommates. Contact your school for this because they probably have a program for students from overseas. If they can't help, try craigslist for roommates in the Santa Monica area.

Also, for paying your bills, open an account online. You can do this from Guam or wherever you are. Bank of America, Washington Mutual and many others will let you open an account online so you'll have a place for your money. Do NOT walk around L.A. or Santa Monica with lots of cash. EVER. And don't tell anyone about your financial situation, that's between you and your bank. Just get an account, they'll send you a debit card and you're good to go.

It will be difficult without a car, but Santa Monica has a wonderful bus service called The Blue Bus that will get you where you need to go.

You can find a job on campus. Again, ask your school about this because they really do have some services for you to make use of. Just ask them for help. Contact the Financial Aid office and tell them your situation and ask for job assistance.

Good luck to you and have fun at SMC.

Old 11-29-2007, 02:10 AM

705 posts, read 3,298,599 times
From what I see, all you know about your trip to Los Angeles is that youre going to attend Santa Monica College. February is far too close and I seriously think you should wait 'til the fall. You will definitely need a vehicle to get around and a good amount of money to start off with. Also, if you come for the fall semester you can have much more time to find a job, an apartment, and a car. Plus, you can come during the summer, settle in, and get used to your new enviornment before you start school.

Here, try to look for an apartment using these links. I already set the location of your search for the west side of Los Angeles.

westside-southbay-310 apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Rent.com: Search Results

Los Angeles Apartments for Rent with Ratings & Reviews by Los Angeles Renters at ApartmentRatings.com

Also, try finding a job using this link. All you need to do is provide them your information and turn in a resume.
My Monster: Create Account

Good Luck

Old 11-29-2007, 10:47 AM

1,287 posts, read 5,025,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalagonegaga View Post
As to your housing problem, SMC should be able to put you in contact with people needing roommates. Contact your school for this because they probably have a program for students from overseas.
This is good advice. You really should get in touch with SMC. They have a variety of offices that cater to student needs, like housing among other issues.

Santa Monica College (http://www.smc.edu/homex.asp?Q=Homepage - broken link)
Out-of-State Students Information

Old 11-29-2007, 07:35 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,989 times
SMC non resident tuition rates are pretty high, at least last time I checked. I would suggest you find an apartment in Santa Monica, downtown. Craigslist has quite a few listings. Look for a modern, new studio apartment. They are very nice & cost about $2,500 per month.Living At It's Best= Archstone (broken link)

If you actually are on a budget, there are older places in the $1,400 range per month.
You will be in a nice area with many services within walking distance.

Santa monica college has a shuttle bus so you can ride to campus free.

There are several hotels in the santa monica/west los angeles area that you can apply for a job. Speaking two languages is always a plus. Get yourself a suit for the job interviews unless you are ok with low income labor.

I say come out to La and have a look around, visit the campus, fill out your paperwork, look for employment, and stay at a hotel while you find an apartment.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurekRZA View Post
From what I see, all you know about your trip to Los Angeles is that youre going to attend Santa Monica College. February is far too close and I seriously think you should wait 'til the fall. You will definitely need a vehicle to get around and a good amount of money to start off with. Also, if you come for the fall semester you can have much more time to find a job, an apartment, and a car. Plus, you can come during the summer, settle in, and get used to your new enviornment before you start school.

Here, try to look for an apartment using these links. I already set the location of your search for the west side of Los Angeles.

westside-southbay-310 apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Rent.com: Search Results

Los Angeles Apartments for Rent with Ratings & Reviews by Los Angeles Renters at ApartmentRatings.com

Also, try finding a job using this link. All you need to do is provide them your information and turn in a resume.
My Monster: Create Account

Good Luck
thank you guys~~~~
im checking the website you give me. it's useful!
for some reason i have to leave Guam the coming spring. so i cant wait till the FAll. so what time should i go ?

Old 11-29-2007, 07:58 PM

by the way, how can i prevent being cheated while rent rooms online?

Old 11-29-2007, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalagonegaga View Post
As to your housing problem, SMC should be able to put you in contact with people needing roommates. Contact your school for this because they probably have a program for students from overseas. If they can't help, try craigslist for roommates in the Santa Monica area.

Also, for paying your bills, open an account online. You can do this from Guam or wherever you are. Bank of America, Washington Mutual and many others will let you open an account online so you'll have a place for your money. Do NOT walk around L.A. or Santa Monica with lots of cash. EVER. And don't tell anyone about your financial situation, that's between you and your bank. Just get an account, they'll send you a debit card and you're good to go.

It will be difficult without a car, but Santa Monica has a wonderful bus service called The Blue Bus that will get you where you need to go.

You can find a job on campus. Again, ask your school about this because they really do have some services for you to make use of. Just ask them for help. Contact the Financial Aid office and tell them your situation and ask for job assistance.

Good luck to you and have fun at SMC.
thank you for your help~!

how can i build my credit history?

Old 11-29-2007, 09:15 PM

153 posts, read 637,541 times
I can't help you with that, but you're a student so you really won't have much credit history anyway. No one will expect you to , either. Just focus on being a student and really, contact your school because they have all the programs and services in place to help you. You should really direct all your questions to your school because you are not the first student to deal with these issues. Try not to worry so much about being ripped off or cheated. Just deal with other students and young people like yourself and you should be OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles