Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2014, 04:27 PM

601 posts, read 755,599 times

Advertisements

Yeah...just curious. I work full-time but am taking a few classes on the side.

It's been a pain in the ass to try and get a my driver's license here b/c after waiting months to finally get appointments, they keep effing up my application by telling/not telling me to bring in the wrong/right papers from my previous state. I just to happen to be taking some classes this year (but only one at a time), and was wondering if that would be a legitimate excuse to keep my old ID for a while, because I'm so...so...SO tried of the *******s who work at the DMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 04:44 PM

8,548 posts, read 10,971,365 times
If you live in this state, and drive a vehicle, you need to get a CA driver's license.
Bob.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:18 PM

That's not entirely true, because I know for sure that full-time students do not need to. Just curious if that applies to part-time students.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:21 PM

603 posts, read 846,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkyPunks View Post

It's been a pain in the ass to try and get a my driver's license here b/c after waiting months to finally get appointments, they keep effing up my application by telling/not telling me to bring in the wrong/right papers from my previous state. I just to happen to be taking some classes this year (but only one at a time), and was wondering if that would be a legitimate excuse to keep my old ID for a while, because I'm so...so...SO tried of the *******s who work at the DMV.

They asked you to bring papers? I just went there, filled out the application, took my test, and got the license.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:21 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,038,253 times
Think the DMV is bad? Just don't have an accident, because trying to explain to your insurance company---which insured you in another state at those rates---the reason why you didn't NOTIFY THEM that you would be spending a year in California. Now, that's really bad.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:09 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,060 times
Quote:
That's not entirely true, because I know for sure that full-time students do not need to. Just curious if that applies to part-time students.
If you want to drive you need a drivers license. What does being a student have to do with it?

Old 02-04-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
If you want to drive you need a drivers license. What does being a student have to do with it?
Okay so I guess I wasn't clear enough here - I do have one from another state! I just haven't switched over yet.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:07 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:

yes you need one unless you are keeping your legal residency in another state and than would only be for full time students. As for the screw up in getting your license I think you need to try again. I doubt you have really tried all that hard. Yes, it can be a pain, but normally it isn't all that complicated. Your car needs to be registered in CA as well. You are not considered a student if you are taking only 1 or 2 classes and I have a hunch you know that.

Old 02-05-2014, 08:08 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,563,228 times
I paid a lot of money to switch everything over from Texas to California when I moved here two years ago. I have met quite a few Texans here who have been here longer with no plans to leave and they keep everything in TX. They haven't ever had an issue with it and as far as the insurance thing, they don't know how long you've been here.

I'm glad I did everything above board, but I probably would have waited another year or so if I'd known it wasn't a big deal. Of course I haven't had a ticket or been pulled over since the 90's...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles