Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 10:31 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,196,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I think that when people say superficial they really mean overly image conscious and putting on a show that makes them look too transparent in their attempt to garner attention. I think tugs is what people mean when they say people in LA are fake too.

I think the parts mostly associated with the scene are WeHo, Beverly Hills, Brentwood, Century City, some of it is in Santa Monica and Bellaire. I mean how is it not obvious to some of you? This was a staple of cinema and tv for years. I know you can't over generalize but I think its ridiculous how some just act so ignorant as if it doesn't exist at all.
My point is that this behavior is not more prevalent on the Westside. WeHo isn't even part of the Westside. There are pockets of places where you see the image conscious...like Downtown Beverly Hills, Robertson Blvd, and IMO, the worst offender is The Grove. Brentwood has a bit of a douche factor because celebrities will frequent the country mart and paparazzi hang there. I think there is more superficiality in Hollywood Hills and to a lesser degree, Studio City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 11:01 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,055,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
True. A lot of women will think chivalry is suspicious behavior. Help a woman out with her groceries and open the door and they're more likely to think you're hitting on them at best, a rapist/murderer at worst.

I never make eye contact with women (unless it's a professional setting) and I try to appear aloof and distant around them. LA women have so many guards up, it's insane. If I accidently make eye contact on the street, whoa, you'd think you just ruined their day.

I can get the need for some guards, it is possible the guy walking you to your cars want to rape her, even if it's a tiny chance, but women in LA are destined to be single forever with their unrealistic expectations.
That's because a growing number of men are getting fed up and don't want nothing to do with them. Not just in Los Angeles, but increasingly nationwide. Plus it's not worth trying to pursue, be chivalrous, or marry, especially in LA County.

I pay them no mind. They ask how I'm doing, I'm not going to say a word.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:47 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,305,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
That's because a growing number of men are getting fed up and don't want nothing to do with them. Not just in Los Angeles, but increasingly nationwide. Plus it's not worth trying to pursue, be chivalrous, or marry, especially in LA County.

I pay them no mind. They ask how I'm doing, I'm not going to say a word.
Fair enough. I actually no longer deal with women, besides in professional and familial settings. Hanging around men 24/7 in my leisure time has proved to be rather enlightening.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:49 AM

1,319 posts, read 2,196,799 times
If you realized the weirdness that women face from men in this city, you would understand. Lol.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:09 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,333,328 times
Look at it this way.

It is often said that apathy is the cruelest emotion of all. Most men, lookswise, tend to fall somewhere in the "average" class with the rest being either extraordinarily handsome and cut a-la Aerocrombie model or hideously ugly a-la circus side show. Either one is going to attract some kind of attention. Virtually every woman wants or thinks she can get one of the upper tier guys. Conversely, the truly ugly seem to exist in a world of their own where like-looking men and woman can and do pair up. Your average guys-the ones that are decent, but not gorgeous but not perfect but not a wretch either....seldom (if ever) get so much as a single look, never mind a second one.

That leaves the majority (roughly 50-75%) of "regular" guys out in the cold, competing for the maybe 2% of the female population that *might* give them a chance....or more likely...settle after realizing they aren't good enough for a top notch guy. You have 90% of the women interested only in the top 10% of men. So those guys can get their "pick of the litter", sometimes "servicing" several of them at a time.

Connect the dots with respect to image, culture, perceptions, and expectations (no matter how realistic or not) and you soon find that yes...a large majority of men in SoCal simply don't stand a chance. You tell me what happens next.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:16 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
Good analysis. But these 90% of women are going after like ten percent of the male population in LA. LA men are in the majority not the most strikingly handsome. If they're looking for that perfect guy they're going to be in a long line. There are more beautiful women in LA then there are hot guys.

I mean what do girls even like in LA? Most guys in LA I've seen are rather average height, a little geeky, and dress a little too GQ silly when going out at a nice place. I can see why they're dismissive.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:02 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,305,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Look at it this way.

It is often said that apathy is the cruelest emotion of all. Most men, lookswise, tend to fall somewhere in the "average" class with the rest being either extraordinarily handsome and cut a-la Aerocrombie model or hideously ugly a-la circus side show. Either one is going to attract some kind of attention. Virtually every woman wants or thinks she can get one of the upper tier guys. Conversely, the truly ugly seem to exist in a world of their own where like-looking men and woman can and do pair up. Your average guys-the ones that are decent, but not gorgeous but not perfect but not a wretch either....seldom (if ever) get so much as a single look, never mind a second one.

That leaves the majority (roughly 50-75%) of "regular" guys out in the cold, competing for the maybe 2% of the female population that *might* give them a chance....or more likely...settle after realizing they aren't good enough for a top notch guy. You have 90% of the women interested only in the top 10% of men. So those guys can get their "pick of the litter", sometimes "servicing" several of them at a time.

Connect the dots with respect to image, culture, perceptions, and expectations (no matter how realistic or not) and you soon find that yes...a large majority of men in SoCal simply don't stand a chance. You tell me what happens next.
You nailed it. I've said it before here and I'll say it again. Women in LA, hell, Southern CA really, have unrealistic expectations for men. They want six foot or taller, six pack or more, six figures or more, usually white or pretty close to it, great teeth, great hair, amazing personality, sensitive, family oriented, gets along great with the parents, stylish, masculine, vacations, excellent job, etc etc

And these are average everyday women who expect this, not just the Hollywood models.

As a society I think we're moving toward people being single and not having children. Which is okay. We don't need to reproduce anymore.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:39 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,333,328 times
Thanks. Even though human dating and dating habits HAS to be one of the most studied, talked about, and written subjects in history, it's still worth trying to present it as simply as possible in the context of this particular discussion.

So here we go. Would everyone agree that all people of both...excuse me ALL genders see and judge everyones appearance (consciously or not) based on the approximate following scale:

10. Knockout
9. Gorgeous
8. Hot
7. Sexy
6. Above average
5. Average
4. Below average
3. Unattractive
2. Ugly
1. Hideous.

In the context of this discussion, both men and women of each respective category 8-10 and 1-2 are almost guaranteed to find [a] mate(s) or at least a "partner".

However, it's the 3's-7's that seem to struggle. This is because for men, they always want at least one tier "above" them: a man that's a "5" wants a "6". When that doesn't work, they then go for anything they can get. So a guy who's a "6" will take a female "3" if that's all he can get.

Women approach this a little differently. All of them, from "3" and up, all ONLY want guys of the 8, 9, and 10 caliber. When that doesn't work, they come on CD and complain about the lack of men.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:19 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
Lol. Brilliant. It's so true. I think its hard to even land a 3 these days cus women are just thinking they're model hot enough for a 9-10 guy.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:59 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,055,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
You nailed it. I've said it before here and I'll say it again. Women in LA, hell, Southern CA really, have unrealistic expectations for men. They want six foot or taller, six pack or more, six figures or more, usually white or pretty close to it, great teeth, great hair, amazing personality, sensitive, family oriented, gets along great with the parents, stylish, masculine, vacations, excellent job, etc etc

And these are average everyday women who expect this, not just the Hollywood models.

As a society I think we're moving toward people being single and not having children. Which is okay. We don't need to reproduce anymore.
We're just going our own way, while females figure out why they haven't found the one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles