Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 10:15 PM

374 posts, read 721,963 times

Advertisements

9th circuit court is giving people their freedoms back, and California is now a "shall issue" state

What are we going to do? Be sure to strap on your kevlar if you have to go to the grocery store, otherwise just stay inside, close the blinds, and pretend like you're out of town until our government restores order.

On a serious note, congratulations on a step in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 10:42 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,825,302 times
I haven't been keeping up. What does their decision overturn or allow?

Old 02-17-2014, 10:47 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,888,673 times
An interesting experiment. I wonder how this will affect areas with a high population, high poverty, and high crime. I'm looking at South-Central LA, Central California, and the Inland Empire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExeterMedia View Post
I haven't been keeping up. What does their decision overturn or allow?
Snipped from a Fox News article:

"Thursday, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the state couldn’t ban both concealed and open carry guns. The court also struck down the so-called 'good cause' requirement for getting a permit, saying that concern for one’s personal safety should be sufficient justification.

The Constitution guarantees Americans the right to 'keep and bear arms.' To 'bear' means to carry.

Ironically, California may have opened the door to make it much easier for people to get concealed handgun permits by recently banning people from openly carrying guns. The court wrote that while it might indeed be constitutional for a state to ban concealed handguns or to ban people openly carrying handguns, it simply can’t ban both options."

Last edited by GatsbyGatz; 02-17-2014 at 10:56 PM..

Old 02-17-2014, 11:09 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,186,992 times
It's always been funny to me how the people who most aggressively demand the 2nd Amendment be adhered to are always the ones who skip right over that "militia" part. They also tend to be the same people who demand the religious freedom offered by the 1st Amendment but skip over the part about no laws respecting religions.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:11 PM

810 posts, read 1,342,789 times
Looks like the left made a right turn. Not having this mentality is one of the good things about California...in other states the "right to carry" crowd is looking for any reason they can simply to brandish a weapon.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:22 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,050,766 times
It will be aggressively appealed.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:29 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
If someone wants to carry a gun for self protection they should be allowed to do so. It's funny how as free as we claim to be as a nation someone wants to impose their will on others.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:42 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,186,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
If someone wants to carry a gun for self protection they should be allowed to do so. It's funny how as free as we claim to be as a nation someone wants to impose their will on others.
I think you might be oversimplifying the issue, buddy.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Some people just can't handle being free to make their own choices. The government must hold their hands and keep away the boogie man.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
An interesting experiment. I wonder how this will affect areas with a high population, high poverty, and high crime. I'm looking at South-Central LA, Central California, and the Inland Empire.
I'm sure gangsters were really holding back on the shootings since it was illegal to conceal a handgun. Now it will surely go crazy!

But wait, murder is still illegal... and so are drugs... what do we do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles