Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 09:11 PM

7 posts, read 79,498 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving from Sedona, AZ to either Santa Monica or Marina Del Rey in January. We plan on renting for about a year or so. Does is ever flood in Marina Del Rey? I've also noticed that some of the apartments don't have air conditioning, is air conditioning really not needed? Living in AZ, ac is mandatory.

Does anyone have any recommendations for apartments in either Santa Monica or MDR (2 BR for under $3,200 mo)? My husband is retired, and I will be a Realtor in Santa Monica.

One last question, does any one realty company stand out above the others?

Thanks very much,
Kardenham
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 11:02 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,025,695 times
It's really a matter of personal preference. Have you visited the area before? SM and MDR look and feel different enough that I think it would be pretty easy for one to sum up which area they like best or would prefer to live.

Since you are willing to pay up to $3000 in rent, you should find some really nice options in both locales. Try the following web sites to find rentals in your price range.

Apartment Rentals in Los Angeles, Orange County and San Diego
craigslist: los angeles classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events
Apartments.com - Free Nationwide Apartment Search with the Most Visual Rental Listings Online.

As for real estate agencies, there are many. Coldwell Banker, Prudential California Realty, and Keller Williams are some of the big ones in LA.

Last edited by TheRealAngelion; 12-02-2007 at 11:10 PM..

Old 12-03-2007, 12:28 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
Marina Del Rey does never flood. Since it is right on the coast, A/C is not necessary at all. The hottest it will ever get here is 80* on average. During heat waves, it may go up to 90*, but very rarely.

With that price range, you will do fine. If you come to visit, in Marina del Rey, there is a nice complex on the west side of the intersection of Lincoln Blvd and Maxella Ave. I think they are called Marina Pointe. There are some high rises you can see as well along Linclon. There are some more, circular, high rises along Admiralty Way. There are several new lofts going up near Maxella and Glencoe along Glencoe, going up north to Washington Blvd. There are also some at Mindanao and Glencoe. Along Alla Road from the Marina Freeway to Maxella. On Redwood Ave. between Washington Blvd. and Maxella. Then there are several lining Marina Harbor. Marina Del Rey is full of them and the best way to find out which complex you like is to visit.

I agree with Angelion. Santa Monica and MDR are completely different. Santa Monica is much busier and crowded and in most areas more expensive. MDR has a lot to do and is also crowded, but for some reason it just seems as though it's more laid back. Both areas are great to live in and are full of several upper class people. Santa Monica has more of a variety of stuff to do, but it's very spread out. In MDR, you could pretty much walk or ride your bike everywhere. SM may be a little more car dependent.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:29 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
About the agencies, Coldwell Banker, Re/Max and Prudential are quite common in my area, which is the next city south of Marina Del Rey, called Playa del Rey, which is also an area to consider.

Oh yeah, and in Marina Del Rey, there is also an Archstone extended stay Apartments. They are luxury apartments. My grandparents stay there when they visit and it's like staying at a 5 star resort, just without a restaurant and maids. Oakwood, which is the same thing, also has a location in MDR. Archstone has a location in PDR across the street from me.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:07 AM

Thanks so much for the suggestions. We have visited both MDR and Santa Monica at least 4 to 5 times per year for the last few years and really like both. We have visited several of the complexes in MDR and like Archstone and Mariners Bay Apts. Mariners Bay is older but seems positioned in a quiet area of the marina and the rooms are a decent size.

We haven't explored SM as much but have been thinking about the apartments/condos between Wilshire and Montana from 6th to Yale Ave.

I'm very excited to move to this area but admit I'm a little nervous about starting life all over again.

Thanks again for your suggestions.
Kardenham

Old 12-03-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kardenham View Post
We haven't explored SM as much but have been thinking about the apartments/condos between Wilshire and Montana from 6th to Yale Ave.
That's a lovely area. Pretty much the whole area north of Wilshire in Santa Monica is very nice and highly desirable.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:26 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
That's a lovely area. Pretty much the whole area north of Wilshire in Santa Monica is very nice and highly desirable.
And as expensive as any place in L.A. county. Most of SM is very pricey, especially if it's near the beach and/or up north.

BTW, other Santa Monicans often don't like the northerners (mainly because the rather dysfunctional SM city government is dominated by north of Wilshire types) even if they come from neighborhoods which are just as expensive - "Montana-ite" is a common slur.

Last edited by majoun; 12-04-2007 at 01:41 AM..

Old 12-04-2007, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
And as expensive as any place in L.A. county. Most of SM is very pricey, especially if it's near the beach and/or up north.

Yes, but the OP indicated that the top of her budget range for housing was $3200 a month. So she is well within the range, at least for apartments north of Wilshire. A house would be another story.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:11 PM

1,072 posts, read 845,344 times
I'd go into Santa Monica. Neighborhoods are very nice , quaint to ritzy , to youthful atmosphere. Very energizing. Lots to do close by and I think the city is really trying to deal with the gridlock and parking abuses that cause alot fo the traffic problems. Did you know that a study went out that the majority of grid lock in the SM/wilshire and BV areas is because of drivers circling the blocks looking for the limited "free" close and cheap parking? !! Shame on all those mercedes.

Stay as far away from the MDR due to all the continuous "upgrades" to the local area.
Too conjested to move around.
Do not go into PlayaVista.
They 've yet to iron out the "explosive gas" situation and unneccesarily destroyed so much beauty to make a buck.
I'd never want to be that close to a Home Depot either.
They "exploded" in the not to distant past as well and havn't the least regard for the environment either.

MDR is great to visit. You wouldn't want to live there...unless you are a boatnick then by all means .

Old 12-04-2007, 05:25 PM

Thanks so much for the input on MDR. We are coming over this weekend to look for rentals. I would to like to live in a culturally diverse, quaint neighborhood, preferably a mix of homes and rentals that is located in a relatively safe area. Somewhere, where one would feel comfortable walking alone at night (I know that you need to be cautious anywhere). What is Palms/Mar Vista like? We would prefer to rent a house but will definately take an apt or condo.

Is Westside Rentals worth joining or should I just stick to Craigslist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles