Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2014, 06:56 PM

603 posts, read 846,915 times

Advertisements

Can anyone here help give me more insight into it? Like someone who is a cop or knows one personally. There's no police forum on City Data so I thought this would be a good place to post this topic. I'm planning to take the written test tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 08:35 PM

434 posts, read 1,019,149 times
You might have better luck with this question on a forum for police officers, like:

Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com

or

Real Police: Law Enforcement,Police Officer,Criminal Justice,Background Checks website...

Old 03-19-2014, 09:56 PM

87 posts, read 133,297 times
why do you want to be a cop?

Old 03-19-2014, 10:13 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikefirefall View Post
Can anyone here help give me more insight into it? Like someone who is a cop or knows one personally. There's no police forum on City Data so I thought this would be a good place to post this topic. I'm planning to take the written test tomorrow.
The standard written test for peace officers is designed to allow you to demonstrate you reading, writing, and reasoning skills. There won't be any questions designed to test your knowledge of police procedure, because you aren't expected to have any at this stage.

They won't make you diagram sentences, or anything corny like that. But you will be asked to read through some short pieces, then answer questions designed to show how well you understood what you just read.

You may be given logic puzzles to solve, like "Which of these three things is not like the others?", or "what is the next number in this sequence?"

You'll also be asked to read some "scenarios" that may or may not be police related, then asked questions. But they won't be testing your policing skills, but instead your logic, judgment, and maybe your character (ethical stuff).

If you had more time, there are practice tests you can take, just to get an idea what to expect. But really, it's not something you can study for. You either have the necessary reading comprehension skills, or you don't.

I don't want to worry you, but I'll tell you, the written exam is harder than you might expect. Out of every 100 P.O. candidates, only three make it all the way through the selection process. The "written" is the first big hurdle, and I've seen it frustrate many guys and women who I thought would otherwise make good cops.

Get plenty of rest, drink some water and have a coffee, and take your time. If you rush, you'll make dumb mistakes (that being said, there will be a time limit- the examiners don't want to be there all day- but you'll have plenty of time to finish).

Good luck.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molerat View Post
why do you want to be a cop?
A career in law enforcement has always been in the back of my head. I'd like to eventually work for the FBI.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:08 AM

671 posts, read 1,190,621 times
Yes. The written police report is just as vital as the more obvious police skills. I know a fellow who was an excellent cadidate, so PERFECT for being a cop, but his learning disability just prvented him from mastering commas, and while they wanted to put him in the program to hire, his commas were killing the police report test/examples. The police report is a legal document and is often the only evidence a judge has, and that report must be unambiguous and clear, not the confusing mess my poor acquantence was producing with so many comma errors. So, if you wamt to be a cop, you all had better listen and learn in your English class.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKerryJr View Post
So, if you want to be a cop, you all had better listen and learn in your English class.
English is actually my strongest subject.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
The standard written test for peace officers is designed to allow you to demonstrate you reading, writing, and reasoning skills. There won't be any questions designed to test your knowledge of police procedure, because you aren't expected to have any at this stage.

They won't make you diagram sentences, or anything corny like that. But you will be asked to read through some short pieces, then answer questions designed to show how well you understood what you just read.

You may be given logic puzzles to solve, like "Which of these three things is not like the others?", or "what is the next number in this sequence?"

You'll also be asked to read some "scenarios" that may or may not be police related, then asked questions. But they won't be testing your policing skills, but instead your logic, judgment, and maybe your character (ethical stuff).

If you had more time, there are practice tests you can take, just to get an idea what to expect. But really, it's not something you can study for. You either have the necessary reading comprehension skills, or you don't.

I don't want to worry you, but I'll tell you, the written exam is harder than you might expect. Out of every 100 P.O. candidates, only three make it all the way through the selection process. The "written" is the first big hurdle, and I've seen it frustrate many guys and women who I thought would otherwise make good cops.

Get plenty of rest, drink some water and have a coffee, and take your time. If you rush, you'll make dumb mistakes (that being said, there will be a time limit- the examiners don't want to be there all day- but you'll have plenty of time to finish).

Good luck.
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles