Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 12:21 AM

13,584 posts, read 15,680,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
All the posts just make me wanna walk around like a zombie surfing the Internet on my iPhone.
Not a good idea...there are a lot of people getting tired of smartphone-walkers who don't watch where they're walking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 03:32 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,891,225 times
Driving in LA is the wild west. And if someone hits you, it's doubtful that they will stop... or have a license or insurance for that matter.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:31 AM

311 posts, read 493,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Driving in LA is the wild west. And if someone hits you, it's doubtful that they will stop... or have a license or insurance for that matter.
Exactly. In fact, when I was crossing Main Street downtown this morning, the car, which had the red light (and I had the white walk signal) clearly saw me when I was literally at the crosswalk.

Instead of stopping, he turned right as fast as possible, nearly hitting me in the process. I shook my head and wonder where do people in L.A. get their licensees from.

Also, just last night, I saw one car cutting off the other because he was "too slow". In the process, he said "F U" to the driver of the other car.

Another issue is that people here don't know how to walk or use the sidewalk properly. They either take up the entire length of the sidewalk while having a conversation etc...

Last edited by Moreau36; 04-24-2014 at 10:27 AM..

Old 04-27-2014, 08:30 PM

23,574 posts, read 24,096,042 times
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Rush, rush, rush, only to hit more...TRAFFIC

Quote:

Old 04-27-2014, 08:32 PM

23,574 posts, read 24,096,042 times
Stay classy, LA...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreau36 View Post
Exactly. In fact, when I was crossing Main Street downtown this morning, the car, which had the red light (and I had the white walk signal) clearly saw me when I was literally at the crosswalk.

Instead of stopping, he turned right as fast as possible, nearly hitting me in the process. I shook my head and wonder where do people in L.A. get their licensees from.

Also, just last night, I saw one car cutting off the other because he was "too slow". In the process, he said "F U" to the driver of the other car.

Another issue is that people here don't know how to walk or use the sidewalk properly. They either take up the entire length of the sidewalk while having a conversation etc...

Old 04-27-2014, 11:36 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,832,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Not a good idea...there are a lot of people getting tired of smartphone-walkers who don't watch where they're walking.
Sarcasm detector: level 0

Old 04-27-2014, 11:52 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,155,455 times
Quote:

This has happened to me repeatedly in LA. I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that so many undocumented persons live (and drive) in LA... no, that couldn't possibly be it. I doubt that, even when found, any charges are brought against drivers who do this.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:19 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,487,022 times
I always wonder about this too. What happens if they get pulled over? You hear about millions of undocumented..but you hardly ever hear of deportations especially in L.A..unless someone killed someone,etc.

Also I am pretty sure you can get insurance without being a documented citizen..but in reality how many do?..Hard to say.

Where I live , there are car dealers that advertise (in spanish) that you can buy a car without a drivers license ...clearly catering to illegal immigrants..

Old 04-28-2014, 11:34 AM

19,554 posts, read 9,563,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I always wonder about this too. What happens if they get pulled over? You hear about millions of undocumented..but you hardly ever hear of deportations especially in L.A..unless someone killed someone,etc.

Also I am pretty sure you can get insurance without being a documented citizen..but in reality how many do?..Hard to say.

Where I live , there are car dealers that advertise (in spanish) that you can buy a car without a drivers license ...clearly catering to illegal immigrants..
So when a cop pulls them over, they just ask for registration of the vehicle?

Old 04-28-2014, 11:58 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,487,022 times
I'm guessing in L.A ,the police often 'look the other way'..unless it's something real serious like DUI or something else?

I'm thinking in a place like Arizona, they likely act a bit different.

I doubt they are notifying immigration in L.A very often.

L.A has a reputation as a 'sanctuary city' for a reason

I thought this is interesting in SF they actually openly state that they have a Sanctuary Ordinance.
http://sfgsa.org/index.aspx?page=1067

L.A never does anything so obvious , very little transparency. They might have policies but they aren't publicly stated

Everyone just kind of "knows"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles