Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 09:43 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times

Advertisements

True , I think there is still some value in certain areas which is why rents are rising . As the metro evolves I see areas near the subway being more appealing than they might be now .

Large projects will develop around the subways

Many dismiss it now but I have a feeling noho arts will be very different in the near future and much more desirable .

The thing about NYC and SF though.. It's possible to get by without a car .

That gives one quite a bit more towards rent . Although you still need to figure on subways and probably occasion cabs or uber.

Owning a car is a big expense even if you have it paid off .. Insurance gas etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 11:11 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,247,441 times
jokes on you op, i live in a rent controlled unit.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:14 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,564,559 times
Hopefully these rising rents and prices will bring in more high density buildings and increasing public transportation. Recently, riding the metro rails around I noticed how packed they were on a Saturday. I can't imagine how crowded they are on a workday. It was standing room only for most of the trip.

I was at a little sandwich chain yesterday in west hollywood and thought "How does this sandwich artist afford to live here?" I have a friend who works at a coffee place in beverly hills and he takes trains and buses from watts to get there. That was the place he found he could afford for 600 a month bills included. Is that our only source of housing for low-income workers? We need people to make our coffee and sandwiches and clean restrooms. I don't think more subsidized housing will help, but allowing increased density would add a lot more units to the market which should, in theory, protect some neighborhoods from gentrification... at least for awhile.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:04 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
The rental market has completely changed from a few years ago. I was able to find a very nice two-bedroom apartment for $1,395, which was still a huge increase from what I had been paying in a rent-controlled apartment only a mile away. I've been fortunate that my rent has only been raised once - to $1,450. This unit would probably easily rent for $1,700 now. This is not a rent-controlled building, so I just have to hope and pray that I continue to fly under the radar. Well, either that, or I hope that my landlord values good tenants who pay their rent on time and never have any issues!

I suspect that people who have options are going to move elsewhere. Lower income people who don't have options will squish as many people (usually family members, and everyone makes minimum wage) into an apartment as they can in order to make ends meet. I'd try to transfer to another office with my employer, because there's no way I'd commute to Woodland Hills from distant places like Palmdale/Lancaster, or the Inland Empire!

Old 04-28-2014, 09:13 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I used to live in Deerfield Beach, FL (about 15 miles north of Ft Lauderdale) and was a 20 minute walk from the beach, and while I liked it for the time I was there I was always left with the same general feeling: It's not Southern California. Not that it's supposed to be, it's just that California is what I was accustomed to and because I love it so much, the Florida coastal areas don't do it for me. Also, the humidity is stifling, and the annual impending possibility of tropical storms and hurricanes are anxiety builders for me.

I went to Florida for that time because of work, and not a personal choice to get away, but I think I'd like Florida a whole lot more if I wasn't so attached to California. Also, it's weird that like half of the people in Broward County are from New York, Boston, or Eastern Canada.

Once you have lived in Southern CA, FL is a downgrade. The main thing is the weather, as you mentioned the humidity is brutal and makes being outside uncomfortable for a good part of the year.

Those storms you mentioned(which happen everyday in the summer) are the only relief from that stifling humidity, they only last about 30 minutes and than it's more uncomfortable than before it rained.

Than there is the lack of scenery, as flat as a pancake.

FL works if you're from Michigan and have never been out west.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
Hopefully these rising rents and prices will bring in more high density buildings and increasing public transportation. Recently, riding the metro rails around I noticed how packed they were on a Saturday. I can't imagine how crowded they are on a workday. It was standing room only for most of the trip.

I was at a little sandwich chain yesterday in west hollywood and thought "How does this sandwich artist afford to live here?" I have a friend who works at a coffee place in beverly hills and he takes trains and buses from watts to get there. That was the place he found he could afford for 600 a month bills included. Is that our only source of housing for low-income workers? We need people to make our coffee and sandwiches and clean restrooms. I don't think more subsidized housing will help, but allowing increased density would add a lot more units to the market which should, in theory, protect some neighborhoods from gentrification... at least for awhile.
In L.A a lot of these people are often college kids (of all backgrounds) or people that may live many to a home.

Living in Watts and taking public transit to work in Beverly Hills sounds like a pretty bad existence. But for some people depending on where they are coming from it could be a big step up.

The sandwich artist , may not live in West Hollywood , but a cheaper area.

Employers will continue to pay the same amounts until they stop getting applications.

Spoke to a lady yesterday that has a studio apartment (around Valley Village area I think) she was older, paying $750 a month I think, she said shes been there a long time and it was I think $450 when she moved in..I think over 12 years ago..maybe 15.

Her social security check is like $950, she said her sister helps pay utilities and she gets food from the food bank sometimes.
Originally from Boston and moved to L.A in the 1960s. She had lived in Venice beach and other areas.
She had said she had been on the streets before in the past.
Probably quite a few elderly people like this in L.A . She was quite a character.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:37 AM

601 posts, read 755,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
jokes on you op, i live in a rent controlled unit.
So do I, but it's frustrating when you want to consider moving closer to your job or something - financially I'm trapped, even without a lease, haha.

Excellent gif though.

I'm willing to bet that if it keeps getting worse, we'll start micro-aparments like in SF and NYC.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:11 PM

Yeah that's the big issue too, people feel forced to live in the same area because they might not be able to afford to move.

Also regarding the 'microapartments'... in SF and NYC...those aren't really cheap or affordable either.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:22 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
I agree that micro apartments aren't exactly cheap. According to this article, some brand new ones were starting at $1,450.

$50-million complex of micro apartments finished in Santa Monica - Los Angeles Times

Old 04-28-2014, 07:58 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,021,537 times
For years I dreamed of owning a home in LA. But I'm feeling real content here in Phoenix. The weather for the most part is an 8.5 out of 10, it's beautiful (the freeways palm trees and In-n-outs remind me of Socal), but the best part is you can survive in this city on a blue collar or service worker's wage. Not everybody has the resources to go to college. If they run out of room here they'll just keep building outward. Besides, that's what freeways are for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles