Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 01:02 AM

96 posts, read 170,683 times

Advertisements

As you drive east on the 134 after passing Glendale, looking off to your right you see what appears to be a lovely residential area of full of trees and green rolling hills. This is of course Eagle Rock, Mt. Washington, Highland Park, etc. collectively known as NELA. These cities are always mentioned as hot spots for housing because people have generally been priced out of other markets. But the few times I've driven through this area I've been underwhelmed. The natural landscape is great, but everything seems very run-down. I understand that this area was first developed quite some time ago, but I'm not sure why it was allowed to get so dilapidated. It's pretty sad because it could be such a nice area.

Anyway, are there any nicer streets or neighborhoods in NELA? I like the location in general and it also seems to be an area where some newer modern homes are going up (like these for example).

Any other thoughts on where NELA is headed? Would you move there if commute time wasn't a factor? Why or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 03:52 AM

112 posts, read 136,460 times
That looks cheap, ugly, and with stucco gross, please keep that crap out of the older neighborhoods in LA.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:46 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,392,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuggah View Post
That looks cheap, ugly, and with stucco gross, please keep that crap out of the older neighborhoods in LA.
Agreed. Plus, anything that tall is going to impact somebody's view of something, in a hilly neighborhood.

I LIKE the semi-squalid, somewhat dilapidated, mish-mash character of NELA. Reminds me a little bit of the East Village.

We were in Highland Pk yesterday, looking for a mid-century modern coffee table. We found one sitting on the sidewalk at Shop Class. Grabbed a couple tacos from the La Estrella truck. Watched the hipsters and gay couples walk by with their little dogs. Fun day.

Lots of peds on the sidewalk, different kinds of folks, very lively scene. If I lived there, I might find some elements that would annoy me. But I think NELA a great place to visit.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:52 AM

23,567 posts, read 24,096,042 times
I don't think most of Eagle Rock is dilapidated. Some parts are, but some are really gorgeous (such as near Occidental College). Eagle Rock is pretty middle class to upper middle class, which is rare.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuggah View Post
LOL. Cheap, ugly, and gross describes 90% of houses there that were built 100 years ago.

I'm not a fan of stucco either, but I also don't think barred up windows and stained yellowish siding are great architectural touches either.

Anyway the thread was meant to be about the area in general, not that particular development.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I don't think most of Eagle Rock is dilapidated. Some parts are, but some are really gorgeous (such as near Occidental College). Eagle Rock is pretty middle class to upper middle class, which is rare.
Cool, I'll give Eagle Rock a closer look next time I'm there.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Agreed. Plus, anything that tall is going to impact somebody's view of something, in a hilly neighborhood.

I LIKE the semi-squalid, somewhat dilapidated, mish-mash character of NELA. Reminds me a little bit of the East Village.

We were in Highland Pk yesterday, looking for a mid-century modern coffee table. We found one sitting on the sidewalk at Shop Class. Grabbed a couple tacos from the La Estrella truck. Watched the hipsters and gay couples walk by with their little dogs. Fun day.

Lots of peds on the sidewalk, different kinds of folks, very lively scene. If I lived there, I might find some elements that would annoy me. But I think NELA a great place to visit.
Where exactly were you? I just drove through downtown HP on Figueroa yesterday and it was only one step above Skid Row. Not many people out and all the barred-up businesses looked to be closed.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:13 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,392,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmo20 View Post
Where exactly were you? I just drove through downtown HP on Figueroa yesterday and it was only one step above Skid Row. Not many people out and all the barred-up businesses looked to be closed.
I wouldn't compare it to skid row. But it's definitely an area "in transition", I'd say. Many businesses had had bars on the windows, but they were open. Saw a couple of shifty characters, but so what? It's LA.

We were there at noon, down Figueroa from the 5 through Cypress Pk to where Fig bends north, then back down York to Eagle Rock Blvd. lots of families crowding the sidewalks, pop-up flower stands for Mother's Day, good crowds at the cafes, parks were full of families, couldn't move inside Sunbeam Vintage, place was packed with yuppies and sock-hats.

Book stores, vinyl shops, art and design studios, dive bars, food stands. Very hip couple of blocks.

I probably sound like I'm trying to sell real estate. But I'm not. I'm just an occasional visitor who likes the vibe of the area.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:38 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,667,677 times
Quote:
LOL. Cheap, ugly, and gross describes 90% of houses there that were built 100 years ago.
About that...

Old 05-11-2014, 12:51 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,875,288 times
Quote:
York is the gentrified drag in HP. Fig is in transition but far from a skid row. Just a working class commercial area. I almost moved nearby.

Though not in LA proper, South Pasadena is NELA-adjacent and very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles