Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 09:57 PM

248 posts, read 310,585 times

Advertisements

I work at an office building at Wilshire and Ardmore in Koreatown. It's between Western and Normandie.

I'm looking for a studio apartment in the area. Close enough so I can walk to work. The closer the better.

My budget is $900. There's not much on hotpads.com for that price. When I move it up to $950 quite a few pop up. Last week when I was looking I found a few at $850 but they are gone. Maybe they just go fast. I even found a couple in the $770 range but they were too small (250 sf).

Is my budget alright? Will I find a place if I look hard enough (and act quick enough)?

Also,I do have a car and from what I've read the parking is pretty dreadful in the area at night. Would I end up having to pay for a lot?

If Koreatown is a bit too ambitious for my budget any recommendations? Ideally something close enough to where I could bike to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 11:15 PM

26 posts, read 27,293 times
Koreatown <----

Cheapest I found was The Langham Apartments seems to fit your budjet.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestinlife View Post
Koreatown <----

Cheapest I found was The Langham Apartments seems to fit your budjet.
Yeah, I saw that. Worth checking out. Thanks

Old 05-03-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time of the Month View Post
there are a million vacancies at $900 or less: los angeles apts/housing for rent classifieds "koreatown" - craigslist
the problem with craigslist is that lots of apartments are labelled Koreatown when they aren't actually in Koreatown. They'll label an apartment Koreatown when it's actually right next to MacArthur Park.

About half of those listings on that front page aren't even in Koreatown.

Like this one from that page:
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...443126535.html

Okay...not Koreatown even though its advertised as such. But man...nice looking apartment! Wait.....there's this:
Pictures in this ad are a representation and may not reflect the actual apartment that is currently available.

Ha...this is craigslist for ya.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:40 PM

601 posts, read 755,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarti View Post
the problem with craigslist is that lots of apartments are labelled Koreatown when they aren't actually in Koreatown. They'll label an apartment Koreatown when it's actually right next to MacArthur Park.

About half of those listings on that front page aren't even in Koreatown.

Like this one from that page:
Westlake Apts - Neoclassical Architecture, Single Apt, Great Location!

Okay...not Koreatown even though its advertised as such. But man...nice looking apartment! Wait.....there's this:
Pictures in this ad are a representation and may not reflect the actual apartment that is currently available.

Ha...this is craigslist for ya.

Search on craigslist and use the map view, not the list view (as you've found, the list is useless)

With the map, you can just pick and choose the listings within areas of your choosing, it works exactly like padmapper.

Having said that, your budget is a little low, and that's why you're getting a lot of Westlake and/or sketch listings.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkyPunks View Post
Search on craigslist and use the map view, not the list view (as you've found, the list is useless)

With the map, you can just pick and choose the listings within areas of your choosing, it works exactly like padmapper.

Having said that, your budget is a little low, and that's why you're getting a lot of Westlake and/or sketch listings.
I guess I could push my budget up a little considering I won't be spending hardly anything on gas. But I'm being told by some people that $900 is plenty to find a Koreatown studio as long as I am patient and jump at the right place when it opens up.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:54 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,565,213 times
Do you need a car? In Koreatown there is good subway access, a nice Ralph's, lots of restaurants and coffee within walking. It's a very dense area and not having a car would save you gas, insurance, fees. You could up your budget without a car. I have an interview down on Wilshire soon and if I get that placement, I will definitely park my car for as long as possible and if I get by without it long enough, I'll sell it. I'd love to live without driving.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:42 PM

601 posts, read 755,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarti View Post
I guess I could push my budget up a little considering I won't be spending hardly anything on gas. But I'm being told by some people that $900 is plenty to find a Koreatown studio as long as I am patient and jump at the right place when it opens up.
Yes and no. Lots of people have an outdated view of Koreatown's prices/Koreatown itself, the area is becoming a lot more popular, rapidly. What you can find left at that price, in my experience from looking at a few last year - when prices were cheaper - the ones that were 850-950 were really sketchy buildings that hadn't been taken care of.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
Do you need a car? In Koreatown there is good subway access, a nice Ralph's, lots of restaurants and coffee within walking. It's a very dense area and not having a car would save you gas, insurance, fees. You could up your budget without a car. I have an interview down on Wilshire soon and if I get that placement, I will definitely park my car for as long as possible and if I get by without it long enough, I'll sell it. I'd love to live without driving.
Yeah. I'm not getting rid of my car. It's just been paid off. Plus my insurance is only $60 a month. And if I walk to work I won't be spending much on gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: