Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 01:07 PM

2 posts, read 7,284 times

Advertisements

I agree with Howiester. The official temperature for Long Beach is taken at the airport, which is several miles inland. The temperature near El Dorado Park is often several degrees cooler than the temperature at the airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 01:25 PM

513 posts, read 914,103 times
South or west facing has nothing to do. Malibu is also south facing and so is Santa Barbara and they aren't as warm as the recorded temps for Long Beach. It is because the temperatures are taken at the airport which is not on the immediate coast. All of the SoCal immediate coast has pretty much the same weather from Santa Barbara to San Diego, with very little variation between these two.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:13 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamajack78 View Post
South or west facing has nothing to do. Malibu is also south facing and so is Santa Barbara and they aren't as warm as the recorded temps for Long Beach. It is because the temperatures are taken at the airport which is not on the immediate coast. All of the SoCal immediate coast has pretty much the same weather from Santa Barbara to San Diego, with very little variation between these two.
Not sure I agree. A good friend commutes to Huntington Beach from San Diego County. He confirms that by MID-DAY it is ALWAYS several degrees hotter near the ocean in HB than it is in San Diego County. This does not necessarily apply to winter months, however. I have also noticed the same thing in OC as is relates to temperatures. It is warmer than San Diego county beaches and the explanation might also be related to the mountains.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:33 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,517,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExeterMedia View Post
I never noticed that, but you know what, you're right. I'll throw in my hat on the "Palos Verdes blocking breeze" theory.
There's also the Alaska Current, which keeps ocean temperatures low along most local beaches and also influences local air temperatures. From the shape of the PV peninsula on a map I wouldn't be surprised if this current largely misses Long Beach and San Pedro.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:42 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,517,847 times
Quote:
First off, I'm not an expert so take the following with a grain of salt.

Just from looking at the map, though, it looks as like PV would do more to shelter Long Beach from the current than Point Dume does for Malibu. I wouldn't think that just a southern exposure in the absence of any other factor would be enough to account for warmer temperatures.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:05 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,564,761 times
Distance from a westerly breeze:

http://www.laweekly.com/informer/201...woodland-hills

Old 06-02-2014, 04:10 PM

513 posts, read 914,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
First off, I'm not an expert so take the following with a grain of salt.

Just from looking at the map, though, it looks as like PV would do more to shelter Long Beach from the current than Point Dume does for Malibu. I wouldn't think that just a southern exposure in the absence of any other factor would be enough to account for warmer temperatures.
I agree with you. I think PV does provide some shelter from sea breezes and marine layer. Facing south isn't enough.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

---> Places like Woodland Hills are hot because they are in a valley, a good distance from the Pacific.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:28 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,564,761 times
Quote:
I agree with you. I think PV does provide some shelter from sea breezes and marine layer. Facing south isn't enough.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

---> Places like Woodland Hills are hot because they are in a valley, a good distance from the Pacific.

It's its proxmity the closest west facing shoreline: Even though Woodland Hills isn't that far from Malibu to the south, as the coastline heads west toward Oxnard, it extends the distance it would take a wind off the water to make it to Woodland Hills.

In fact, Woodland Hills is almost as far as the nearest beach to the west as Santa Monica is to West Covina in the hot spot known as the San Gabriel Valley. Emphasis mine.
http://www.laweekly.com/informer/201...woodland-hills

Take it up with this guy:

Charles B. Pyke, Ph.D.: California Rainfall Expert Witness, Southern California Meteorology Expert, Preciitation Frequency Analyst, Expert Witness Meteorologist, Civil Twilight Expert, Rainfall Expert, Arizona Weather Expert Witness

Last edited by nslander; 06-02-2014 at 06:40 PM..

Old 06-02-2014, 06:30 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,474,729 times
I think that it is PVP blocking cooler air flow, DTLB and LBC airport have the same temps, I frequently drive from 405 to DTLB and my car thermometer barely changes.

Also I think because of all the CO2 produced from the two ports and the refineries cause temps to increase

Old 06-02-2014, 06:49 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,565,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
I think that it is PVP blocking cooler air flow, DTLB and LBC airport have the same temps, I frequently drive from 405 to DTLB and my car thermometer barely changes.

Also I think because of all the CO2 produced from the two ports and the refineries cause temps to increase
I agree! My work is in Wilmington near Harbor City and I live near Signal Hill, both are about the same distance from a shore. My car thermometer usually goes up when I head home from work. It's cooler over there than here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles