Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 12:27 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Easier said than done. Jobs can change quickly. Sometimes job locations also change.
This is definitely true. But if at all possible, people should err on the side of having a smaller place closer to work over a larger place farther from work. In the past, people would pretty predictably go for the larger place further out, but I think that attitude is changing (thankfully!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 12:29 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
This is definitely true. But if at all possible, people should err on the side of having a smaller place closer to work over a larger place farther from work. In the past, people would pretty predictably go for the larger place further out, but I think that attitude is changing (thankfully!).
Once you BUY a place all bets are off. You really can't "just move". So that's something else people dealing with traffic can't do. I mean, it's not just young people doing this, it's families that sometimes HAVE to put down roots.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:42 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,197,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Easier said than done. Jobs can change quickly. Sometimes job locations also change.

True, but when my job location changed, we moved so we could have closer commutes. It's not impossible.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:44 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,197,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Once you BUY a place all bets are off. You really can't "just move". So that's something else people dealing with traffic can't do. I mean, it's not just young people doing this, it's families that sometimes HAVE to put down roots.

We owned our place and we sold it and purchased another place closer.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:03 PM

392 posts, read 1,859,118 times
I ride a motorcycle or a scooter and lane split.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:34 PM

141 posts, read 307,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ropper111 View Post
Thank you all.
Live close to where you work or move to a different city. We did, we couldn't take the traffic anymore.
My daughter lives in West Hollywood and it's a wonderful area. But I'm partial to anything west or north of LA.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:37 PM

141 posts, read 307,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Fan View Post
I think on average those who are born and raised or at least been here most of their lives does not really think about it all that much. It's part of life in LA, and for me it's all I have ever known. Trust me LA isn't as bad as the New York Metro area, now that's a nightmare. Lots of people still drive in that city/metro. I have friends that live in Long Island and they are car loving suburbanites as much as any other suburban community around the U.S. Many NY'ers also live in a small bubble to avoid the horrible traffic, and a good number those suburbanites who don't work in the city avoid the city at all costs. You really would be surprised how many of them only visit the city perhaps once or twice a year.

By the way my I have commuted up to 35 miles each way many years ago in LA. At my last job I traveled 22 miles each way and it took me hmm 22-25 minutes. Granted I went to work at 4:30 in the morning. Angelenos commute can start quite early not so much because of a long commute, but because we are affected by earlier time zones for businesses back east. My office would have staff meetings at that time with our offices in Michigan, and we had branch offices open for business in those areas so we had to be there to support them.
Ha! I have you beat. I drove 43 miles from Palos Verdes Estates to IRVINE! Every. single. day. FOR 2 years.
NEVER AGAIN.

LOL

Old 05-13-2014, 03:44 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
I worked in South Pasadena and I lived in South Pasadena. Was it my #1 choice as a 20 something? Not at all. But did I save hours of my life sitting in traffic? Heck yes. If I went to the beach I made sure to leave early in the morning. I generally tried to stay off the road between 3p and 7p. I discovered the world of podcasts so as not to feel like my time was completely wasted sitting in traffic. Oh, and make sure you have the traffic app WAZE. It won't solve all your traffic woes but it is by far the most phenomenal app I've used at navigating.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:47 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
It's generally bad between 6:30-9AM and 4-7PM so plan accordingly. Throw in a accident and construction and you have a real party.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:46 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
On the weekends, plan to go to an event early (before 10:00 a.m.) and return late if you want to avoid the worst traffic. Or you can take a friend with you, and take advantage of the carpool lanes when they're available.

If you can't live close to work, consider skewing your work hours so that at least one part of your commute is good. My commute in the morning is fifteen minutes. In the afternoon it's about half an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles