Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 05:02 PM

248 posts, read 310,532 times

Advertisements

It's always been strange to me how a city like LA could be so lacking in a literary scene, literary magazines etc. Not to mention, can you name five great LA writers? Honestly I have trouble even naming one. But this gets into personal preferences. Raymond Chandler is very readable and very good. John Fante as well. Charles Bukowski had his moments but is vastly overrated by his devotees who, from the ones I knew, read Bukowski and Bukowski only, and thus have nothing to compare him to.

NYC, has of course, the New Yorker and dozens of other literary magazines. The Paris Review, the Atlantic etc. The collective voice of the neurotic white male is pretty strong in most NY literary magazines. But at least its a voice. At least there is a scene(and there are alternative and more diverse literary mags in NYC to counter this voice). What does LA have? It's sad really. We have nothing. Could it be that screenwriting dominates our city to the point there is no room for a literary scene? Could it be the sprawling landscape of the city that makes it more difficult for a scene to take hold?

Back to Bukowski. It seems like this city, the readers that is, can't get over him. Downtown and San Pedro bars still have Bukowski nights. Drunk people everywhere love to quote him. There's even a bar in Santa Monica named after him now (Barkowski). Can't we not do better than a drunken misogynist who never saw a cliche he didn't like? Okay, maybe thats a bit harsh. Bukowski is and will be an important literary figure to LA. But, the fact that he still looms so large over this city is just proof how weak the LA literary scene is. Where is LA's voice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 05:04 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,922 times
What is Bukowski?

Old 05-19-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
What is Bukowski?
When I don't know anything about a topic I usually stay out of it. At the very least I make use of google to find out. Why didn't you?

Old 05-19-2014, 05:15 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarti View Post
When I don't know anything about a topic I usually stay out of it. At the very least I make use of google to find out. Why didn't you?
Eh, check out Les Figues Press, and others--or better yet, contact them, talk to them--before coming to C-D, if this is something that interests you. Never go for the easy assertion.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:22 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,922 times
Quote:
lol my joke failed. Although maybe this is the reason we don't have a literary scene.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:38 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
It's always been strange to me how a city like LA could be so lacking in a literary scene, literary magazines etc. Not to mention, can you name five great LA writers? Honestly I have trouble even naming one. But this gets into personal preferences. Raymond Chandler is very readable and very good. John Fante as well. Charles Bukowski had his moments but is vastly overrated by his devotees who, from the ones I knew, read Bukowski and Bukowski only, and thus have nothing to compare him to.

NYC, has of course, the New Yorker and dozens of other literary magazines. The Paris Review, the Atlantic etc. The collective voice of the neurotic white male is pretty strong in most NY literary magazines. But at least its a voice. At least there is a scene(and there are alternative and more diverse literary mags in NYC to counter this voice). What does LA have? It's sad really. We have nothing. Could it be that screenwriting dominates our city to the point there is no room for a literary scene? Could it be the sprawling landscape of the city that makes it more difficult for a scene to take hold?

Back to Bukowski. It seems like this city, the readers that is, can't get over him. Downtown and San Pedro bars still have Bukowski nights. Drunk people everywhere love to quote him. There's even a bar in Santa Monica named after him now (Barkowski). Can't we not do better than a drunken misogynist who never saw a cliche he didn't like? Okay, maybe thats a bit harsh. Bukowski is and will be an important literary figure to LA. But, the fact that he still looms so large over this city is just proof how weak the LA literary scene is. Where is LA's voice?
Perhaps we tend to exhibit fewer Frankfurt School ideals out here. Enjoy your stay.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:40 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,490,444 times
Quote:
Evidently you don't. You should heed your own advice in the future.

Los Angeles | Poets and Writers

Arts and culture of Los Angeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Books About Los Angeles - Top Books About LA

Book Signings & Literary LA | Discover Los Angeles

The Greater Los Angeles Writers Society is "Writers Mentoring Writers of All Disciplines"

'You see, but you do not observe. The distinction is clear.'

Sherlock Holmes

Old 05-19-2014, 07:00 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
i read the atlantic (via their website) almost daily. when i read articles from the atlantic I don't really sense a NYC bias, as they have writers based all over the country, including LA. just because a publication is edited in a certain city doesn't mean their writers have to live there.

as for authors, we can also claim ray bradbury (if you're into scifi).

Old 05-19-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
*sigh*

Clueless response. Wikipedia links...good grief.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
i read the atlantic (via their website) almost daily. when i read articles from the atlantic I don't really sense a NYC bias, as they have writers based all over the country, including LA. just because a publication is edited in a certain city doesn't mean their writers have to live there.

as for authors, we can also claim ray bradbury (if you're into scifi).
The Atlantic is based in DC so I made a mistake my including them. And its not much of a literary mag anymore. It's more focused on politics, foreign and domestic affairs etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles