Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 03:51 PM

943 posts, read 1,200,979 times

Advertisements

I have recently seen a building in Westlake, just by the interstate bordering DTLA on Wilshire Blvd that I am really interested in. It's by the hospital. I was wondering what the area is like. I already know what Hope and Flower were like in 2010, but never explored much west of the interstate on foot.

I would be walking and using public transit, as I don't have a car nor drive. How safe is the area for a young white male? Would I be able to walk at 3am to Denny's in DTLA safely?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 05:08 PM

434 posts, read 1,020,928 times
It sounds like you're talking about the area near the Good Samaritan Hospital, which includes the Mayfair and the Commodore.

It's low income and predominately Central American. I wouldn't plan on any 3 am walks to Denny's -- there or most anywhere else in L.A. -- but believe that most of the neighborhood's crime is immigrant-on-immigrant.

I suggest budgeting time for a few daytime 20 bus rides on Wilshire or 51/52 rides on 7th, to see how you feel there. The trouble with rating neighborhoods for safety is that so much depends on the people moving in: their personal habits, the 'vibe' they project, their awareness of their surroundings and so on.

In your shoes, I'd worry more about an inadvertent move into a building infested with bed bugs. I suggest checking apartment ratings and the bed bug registry before you put down the deposit. Good luck.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Vagabond View Post
It sounds like you're talking about the area near the Good Samaritan Hospital, which includes the Mayfair and the Commodore.

It's low income and predominately Central American. I wouldn't plan on any 3 am walks to Denny's -- there or most anywhere else in L.A. -- but believe that most of the neighborhood's crime is immigrant-on-immigrant.

I suggest budgeting time for a few daytime 20 bus rides on Wilshire or 51/52 rides on 7th, to see how you feel there. The trouble with rating neighborhoods for safety is that so much depends on the people moving in: their personal habits, the 'vibe' they project, their awareness of their surroundings and so on.

In your shoes, I'd worry more about an inadvertent move into a building infested with bed bugs. I suggest checking apartment ratings and the bed bug registry before you put down the deposit. Good luck.
The building I am looking at is fine. I would be visiting prior to placing a bid. However I won't be able to get a real good feel for the neighborhood in 48 hours or so.

Would you say this area is the equivalent of Venice regarding crime?

Would you say Figuroea and Wilshire aren't safe to walk at night?

Old 05-22-2014, 07:54 PM

908 posts, read 1,308,400 times
It appears they have been putting up some newer buildings in the Westlake area, but it is still not a safe area as there is a gang presence there. Definitely not an area where you want to be walking late at night. I would look elsewhere if you are able to afford a safer area. Compared to Venice, Westlake has more crime.

Take a look at crime stats and additional user comments about the area here:

Westlake Crime - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

Depending on your budget, if you are looking to live in that general vicinity, I'd suggest Silver Lake or Echo Park, where public transit is still accessible.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:16 PM

434 posts, read 1,020,928 times
I don't know current crime stats, but Westlake's vibe is very different from Venice's.

I felt reasonably safe walking Figueroa and Wilshire in the early evening, but something tells me to side with socal88 on this one, and suggest you look elsewhere. It sounds like you're looking for something not easily found in Westlake. Further, it sounds like you're interesting in buying a property to live in, and that means your potential loss would be much, much greater than that of a renter penalized for backing out of a year lease.

I also agree with socal88's suggestion to check out Silver Lake and Echo Park.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:05 PM

733 posts, read 942,250 times
I like it, but if you can't take ghetto it's not for you, also in my experience a lot of evangelists passing out flyers for their church in Spanish and speaking Spanish.

And if you're one of those that would live there to try to turn it into some sort of yuppie/hipster paradise instead of appreciating the community that's there for the sake of the neighborhood go elsewhere

Old 05-22-2014, 09:15 PM

That would be very difficult for me as I don't speak a word of Spanish. Which is kinda surprising since my childhood friend was from Spain.

I personally thought that Westlake may become the Williamsburg of Los Angeles, if Venice had not of taken that title already.

Yes, I am looking to buy and my budget isn't much of a problem. The apartment building I seen on Trulia originally said DTLA, however it does look to be on the Westlake side of town.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:19 PM

I really hope that doesn't become the case, I think it's great the way it is, much better than anywhere infested with hipsters, yuppies and their amenities.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:31 PM

248 posts, read 311,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlaneloli View Post
I really hope that doesn't become the case, I think it's great the way it is, much better than anywhere infested with hipsters, yuppies and their amenities.
As annoying as hipsters are, I'd still take them over gang bangers, transients, and ten immigrants living in a one bedroom apartment.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarti View Post
As annoying as hipsters are, I'd still take them over gang bangers, transients, and ten immigrants living in a one bedroom apartment.
I wouldn't, nothing inherently wrong with ten immigrants living in a one bedroom apartment, except for them having to deal with that, but you have to do what you have to do. Hardcore gang members, ie the ones that are out there doing drivebys are a minority, and transients are pretty normal, hipsters are like a disease that turn neighborhoods "trendy".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles