Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 02:50 AM

16 posts, read 23,937 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

Whoever is viewing this, I hope you're doing well. I really hope you can assist in my questions below.

I'm planning on moving to Korea Town and will be taking a visit out there soon to do apartment hunting. I wanted to know which streets or apartment complexes do you recommend me to look into? Any referrals what so ever would be so so appreciated!!

A little bit about myself. I just got a new job, my income isn't huge of course so I am definitely looking for something affordable. I'm aiming for under $1000 a month ($750-$900 if possible?). its just going to be me and one other person (no kids) + small dog. So a one bedroom would be fine. In the meantime especially, I'm not looking for anything fancy, just safe and to get by until I adjust a bit financially and know were I stand.

My biggest preference is living walkable distance to the Metro lines (Wilshire/Vermont, Wilshire/Normandie, Wilshire/Western) (which I will be using daily to get around LA + Work) and a market/grocery store.

I've heard that North of Wilshire/Vermont is best and more safer than South. From my understandings there are three main streets in KTown (Wilshire, Western, 3rd st). I've haven't had much luck in googling apartments around and craigslist has no variety at all. The apartments that are posted online are priced higher (makes sense). So I believe its best for me to take a day or two out there in the area to search around for something cheaper.

I really, REALLY appreciate everyones help and taking the time to look into my post. You all are so awesome! I'm from OC and never lived in LA and don't have anyone out there to advice me on where to go. The person who lives with me, I take care of and just want to make sure I'm picking a decent place to get by. But from reading about KTown and just LA in general, I'm super excited to move there and love the city life.

You're responses mean a lot to me. Thanks again and I hope you have a great day!!! x
<3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 11:15 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,787,341 times
first of all..xoxoxoxoxoxo

i think you can get a studio apt at regency palm court, i stayed there when still a student and it's not bad, not really nice but ur budget is cray

Old 06-02-2014, 11:17 AM

925 posts, read 1,333,521 times
Sorry, I am not much help. You can use a crime site like crimemapping or trulia to figure out how dangerous the area is. I find that it is rough near east/near of vermont ave.

I've try looking in ktown without much success in the past, there are alot of ph# all over the apartment buildings but no one seem to pickup or ever responds back. I suggest you drive around in the early morning to get a feel of the area. Also some buildings are pretty crappy where almost non of the units will have any view or directly sunlight.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:46 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,184,669 times
Unless that budget is for your half of the rent, you can't afford to live in the City. That's not a realistic budget at all if it's the total you're willing to spend on rent. Either get more roommates to split the rent, get a better job and save more before you get here, or don't move to LA.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:25 PM

601 posts, read 755,654 times
You're never going to find a 1bd at that price. Hell, you probably can't find a studio for that price that isn't a total dump.

IMO the safest areas are neither north or south, but hugging as close to Wilshire itself as possible. I would attempt to stay inbetween 6th and 8th.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:36 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,487,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkyPunks View Post
You're never going to find a 1bd at that price. Hell, you probably can't find a studio for that price that isn't a total dump.

IMO the safest areas are neither north or south, but hugging as close to Wilshire itself as possible. I would attempt to stay inbetween 6th and 8th.
I found quite a couple good looking studios at his price range on Padmapper. You're right though, zilch 1 bedrooms.

To the OP, I think you really only have two options (if you want to live in the city): 1) make do with a studio or 2) find a room mate to split a 2 bedroom with. If you go with option 2, you might even end up spending less than your budgeted $925 a month for rent.

Here is an example: The Versailles Apartments for Rent - Los Angeles, CA Apartments | Apartment Finder

and another one: THE EMBASSY APARTMENTS - WATER & GAS PAID!

You wouldn't be able to afford a studio or single in that last building I posted, but a 2 bedroom for $1499, split two ways, meaning around only $750 per person. This is your most cost effective option.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:34 PM

601 posts, read 755,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
I found quite a couple good looking studios at his price range on Padmapper. You're right though, zilch 1 bedrooms.

To the OP, I think you really only have two options (if you want to live in the city): 1) make do with a studio or 2) find a room mate to split a 2 bedroom with. If you go with option 2, you might even end up spending less than your budgeted $925 a month for rent.

Here is an example: The Versailles Apartments for Rent - Los Angeles, CA Apartments | Apartment Finder

You wouldn't be able to afford a studio or single in that last building I posted, but a 2 bedroom for $1499, split two ways, meaning around only $750 per person. This is your most cost effective option.
The OP says it's them and one other person, though. I took it to mean that they both want to spend only 750-900 or 375-450 each, which is beyond unrealistic. (sorry OP)

Old 06-03-2014, 03:27 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,787,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post

i recommended the regency because they at least have central AC

those places probably dont; this is LA you need central AC

Old 06-03-2014, 06:28 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,830,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkyPunks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Unless that budget is for your half of the rent, you can't afford to live in the City. That's not a realistic budget at all if it's the total you're willing to spend on rent.
LOL. City-Data never fails with these ridiculous, over the top, hyperbolic comments. OP, especially in Koreatown, you can definitely find a one bedroom for that price. The neighborhood might be a little seedy, but it's not Mission Impossible 5 like these six-figure-income commenters like to think it is. Nor will you get shot or raped walking to the Metro line. I lived in Los Feliz (right off Franklin and Talmadge) in a one bedroom for $995 from 2012 to 2013. While rents are only increasing, there are still a lot of good deals out there if you take your time to look.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:28 PM

248 posts, read 310,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
LOL. City-Data never fails with these ridiculous, over the top, hyperbolic comments. OP, especially in Koreatown, you can definitely find a one bedroom for that price. The neighborhood might be a little seedy, but it's not Mission Impossible 5 like these six-figure-income commenters like to think it is. Nor will you get shot or raped walking to the Metro line. I lived in Los Feliz (right off Franklin and Talmadge) in a one bedroom for $995 from 2012 to 2013. While rents are only increasing, there are still a lot of good deals out there if you take your time to look.
I work in Koreatown and I'm considering getting a place in Ktown. Where do you suggest I look? Because I find it hard to believe you can get a 1 bedroom in KTown for $1000.

I'm looking for a studio apt anyway and I'd like to get it under $800 but I'm probably going to have to spend $900
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles