Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 10:24 PM

10,408 posts, read 2,596,895 times

Advertisements

A very good friend of mine is thinking of renting a small house in Panorama City, or maybe its considered Van Nuys. Its on Noble near Lanark. Anyone know that area? She said it looks like its pretty safe and mostly families in that area. She is a single WHITE female with a 5 year old son. Do you think its ok there? I am trying to get her to reconsider, but I dont have any real info on that area. She got a job as a nurse at Kaiser in Panorama City so she wants to be close.

Any info would be appreciated.. good or bad! Thanks!

Last edited by SoCalMomma; 12-16-2007 at 10:33 PM.. Reason: to clarify
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 11:21 PM

705 posts, read 3,297,408 times
Panorama city is populated with a majority of Latinos. I have relatives who live in Arleta which is right next to Panorama city and Van Nuys so I've been there quite a few times. Personally, I wouldnt mind living in Panorama city, but if she wants nicer neighborhoods than she might want to consider North Hills.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:51 AM

715 posts, read 2,086,721 times
I dont know Panorama city well enough to pass an opinion but given its close proximities to van nuys which is an area i wont recommend, would also be an "IFFY" area and yes its full of hispanics. But van nuys got some serious gang problem so my advice would be to stay out.

If she doesnt mind the drive, i would say Santa Clarita, being that she is a single mom and the santa clarita valley having really good schools, both private and publically run. There are no serious gang issues and is a sound neighborhood. I would put safety on par with importance of the job. I know Kaiser hospitals are good to their employees and couldnt blame her of wanting to work for them but there is also a hospital in the valley (Henry Mayo) should she feel in doing some extra hours there and not drive all the way to panorama anymore than she has to over her basic hours.

Apartments are affordable and well maintained. She could well like this area and although the 14 fwy is bad, there are alternative routes for commuting.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieJJ View Post
, would also be an "IFFY" area and yes its full of hispanics. But van nuys got some serious gang problem so my advice would be to stay out.

If she doesnt mind the drive, i would say Santa Clarita, being that she is a single mom and the santa clarita valley having really good schools, both private and publically run. There are no serious gang issues and is a sound neighborhood. I would put safety on par with importance of the job. I know Kaiser hospitals are good to their employees and couldnt blame her of wanting to work for them but there is also a hospital in the valley (Henry Mayo) should she feel in doing some extra hours there and not drive all the way to panorama anymore than she has to over her basic hours.

Apartments are affordable and well maintained. She could well like this area and although the 14 fwy is bad, there are alternative routes for commuting.
You write as if Van Nuys is a war zone of gangs. The hispanics in Van Nuys are human beings and many of them are families worried about safety just as much as you are. People, stop being such wussie's! not to be rude but it's true. The whole reason she posted this thread was because her friend doesn't want to ride long distances.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:22 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,167,548 times
Panorama City can be okay or very bad. There are gangs in that area but there are also a lot of Filipino households too. I don't know where those two streets are exactly so I can't advise on that specific area. I've driven through a lot of neighborhoods and you can definitely see "pride of ownership" in some areas so I know some areas are probably okay to live in.

There is one street -- it runs east/west between Van Nuys Blvd. and Sepulveda and it is north of Roscoe (a major street -- I think it might be Parthenia or Saticoy?) -- anyway, I don't think that is a good area to live in. HOWEVER, on the other side of Van Nuys Blvd., there are a lot of nice single family homes and that neighborhood looks like it is probably a decent area to live in.

If she is planning to send her kid to public school around there, she should check out the school carefully.

The area around Sepulveda Blvd. has long been noted for drugs and prostitutes. It's not a good area to live in.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:41 AM

715 posts, read 2,086,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurekRZA View Post
You write as if Van Nuys is a war zone of gangs. The hispanics in Van Nuys are human beings and many of them are families worried about safety just as much as you are. People, stop being such wussie's! not to be rude but it's true. The whole reason she posted this thread was because her friend doesn't want to ride long distances.
Her reason for posting this thread "Was because her friend doesn't want to ride long distances"?

Ermm where in her post "Ushers those words"?

I said it has "Some serious gang problems" i NEVER said it was a "War zone".

And how do i know there are gang problems? because every other day or night my wife tells me she had to endorse patients that suffered multiple gun shot wounds and had police presence throughout the course of her shift.

People round van nuys drive like the road is their sole property, whats that about?

Last i looked, she wanted some info:- Good or bad... Go figure

Old 12-17-2007, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieJJ View Post
Her reason for posting this thread "Was because her friend doesn't want to ride long distances"?

Ermm where in her post "Ushers those words"?

I said it has "Some serious gang problems" i NEVER said it was a "War zone".

And how do i know there are gang problems? because every other day or night my wife tells me she had to endorse patients that suffered multiple gun shot wounds and had police presence throughout the course of her shift.

People round van nuys drive like the road is their sole property, whats that about?
Most of those incidents are caused in parties or within gangs, not in the street. Sad but it's true. Im guessing you don't live in the valley or anywhere really near Los Angeles. People drive like that because they don't have my time or yours to be waiting behind somebody driving the speed limit. People have busy lives and are always in a hurry, especially here in Los Angeles, but that is really off topic. Ill leave this alone.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:46 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,546,711 times
The LAPD have long been trying to clean up Panorama City; I'm not sure sure how successful their attempts have been, though. There are a lot of rundown apartment buildings near Roscoe that I'd avoid. I almost ended up in one of those buildings back in the early 90s; "thank God" the head gasket blew on my car and I couldn't move there!

The problem with most of L.A. is that one street can be good, and two streets over can be awful. That's why you have to look around, do your homework, see what the neighborhood is like at all times of the day and night, etc. However, as a single mother myself, I would try to live in a better area, even if it's a little further away from Kaiser.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:22 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
The lady is planning on renting. If she likes it and feels comfortable then she can stay. If she doesn't she can leave. Five years old is young enough to absorb another move if mom feels more comfortable elsewhere. If Santa Clarita then she probably has a good shot at carpooling with another nurse who works nurse type hours.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:22 AM

10,408 posts, read 2,596,895 times
Thank you all for the input.

Her son is already signed up to go to Pinecrest School (I think on Sherman Way), so public schools are not an issue right now. I think her main concern is travel time and $$$ that is why she is looking in that area. Her son will be in school / day care while she works and she wants to have time at home with him, not spending tons of time commuting. This house she found is owned by an older lady who has lived there for 30 or 40 years. The lady told her she has never had anything happen to her living there. This neighborhood is south of Roscoe and east of Sepulveda. She said its all single family homes, no apts or duplexes or anything.

She lived in Mission Viejo before her recent divorce. I dont think she knows much about the valley and that is why I am asking YOU GUYS for your input. I drive through the valley, but never really stop & I never have really ventured into the 'neighborhoods'.

Continue with your opinions, please. Good and bad, so we can get the full picture.

Price range: She wants a home, not an apt. She can spend up to about $1500. The house she found is within that budget. If you know of other 'safer' areas, within a 20 min drive during traffic times from Kaiser or Pinecrest - that would fit that budget, please share

Thanks again guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles