Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 07:04 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,798,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
the 405, which is ALWAYS crowded.
This myth must be kept alive, it is part of our culture. Was would Rosewell be if aliens don't exisit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 11:20 PM

317 posts, read 403,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post

-----

OP, best of luck to ya! I did it without a job or friends/family to fall back on. No matter how many times someone tells you it can't be done, where there's a will, there's a way. You just need to be smart and have a plan. You seem to have both.
Thanks a lot. If someone could do it without a job like yourself, than anyone can. I'm quite a ways to go as I just started the job, but setting goals early on is how it should be done.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:18 PM

update:

I recently got a raise 5 months ago, and may be getting another in at least another 6 monnths if things go as planned. I'm going to be here on vacation may 3-11 to scope some areas out. I'm set on the echo park/ silverlake/ los feliz area, although id settle for something less like K town, hollywood or up in the valley. I may potentially have a room mate so that negates costs a bit.

I recently found a 2BR 2 bath in venice for $1700/mo on westside rentals. Is that place most likely going to be a dump? It seems like venice is alot more money.

edit: oh and I've been to california multiple times. SF, Big sur, and LA as a child. SD, Palm Springs, Joshua tree as a young teen, and SF/ Big sur last year. This year is LA and most likely joshua tree again just to explore. So I love California have have many memories here.

Last edited by John_marts; 04-06-2015 at 11:30 PM..

Old 04-07-2015, 10:32 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,265,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_marts View Post
update:

I recently got a raise 5 months ago, and may be getting another in at least another 6 monnths if things go as planned. I'm going to be here on vacation may 3-11 to scope some areas out. I'm set on the echo park/ silverlake/ los feliz area, although id settle for something less like K town, hollywood or up in the valley. I may potentially have a room mate so that negates costs a bit.

I recently found a 2BR 2 bath in venice for $1700/mo on westside rentals. Is that place most likely going to be a dump? It seems like venice is alot more money.

edit: oh and I've been to california multiple times. SF, Big sur, and LA as a child. SD, Palm Springs, Joshua tree as a young teen, and SF/ Big sur last year. This year is LA and most likely joshua tree again just to explore. So I love California have have many memories here.
$1700 for a 2BR2BA sounds low for that area. Beware, perhaps a fraud or a dump

Welcome to LA (in advance)

Old 04-07-2015, 11:13 AM

29 posts, read 37,478 times
John_marts, I think you are making an excellent decision to move from NJ to LA. Life doesn't get any better than LA! The weather, the people, the vibes, it's all good! It is expensive but if you budget yourself and live within your means you will be fine and you sound like you are planning your move out carefully. LA is vastly different from NJ in every way. I have found people accept you for who you are, are not judgemental, and have no aggression or competitiveness. I wish you so much luck and I feel that you are making the right decision. I have been in similar shoes as yours and it has changed my life in every possible way for the better. Keep us posted and good luck!

Old 04-07-2015, 11:25 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,449,955 times
I haven't been to NJ before, but I wouldn't prepare for shiny happy people. Unfortunately there are judgemental people in L.A, and people that are aggressive and competitive too. Otherwise there wouldn't be domestic violence or road rage in L.A , competitiveness can be good in some ways , if you think of perhaps organizations or people competing to create a better medical technology perhaps or something like that.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hethy123 View Post
John_marts, I think you are making an excellent decision to move from NJ to LA. Life doesn't get any better than LA! The weather, the people, the vibes, it's all good! It is expensive but if you budget yourself and live within your means you will be fine and you sound like you are planning your move out carefully. LA is vastly different from NJ in every way. I have found people accept you for who you are, are not judgemental, and have no aggression or competitiveness. I wish you so much luck and I feel that you are making the right decision. I have been in similar shoes as yours and it has changed my life in every possible way for the better. Keep us posted and good luck!
Thanks for the positivity! I cannot WAIT for my vacation. 9 days is on the long side for a vacation but I know it wont be nearly enough. I'm going to want to move there the moment I return back.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_marts View Post
Thanks for the positivity! I cannot WAIT for my vacation. 9 days is on the long side for a vacation but I know it wont be nearly enough. I'm going to want to move there the moment I return back.
It definitely sounds like you are meant to live in CA! The first time I visited I couldn't wait to return, and I know that if I ever have to leave I'll spend my days trying to get back. I have found it to be such an easy place to live. The people are much different than NJ and it suits me better. NJ has wonderful people too, that's for sure, and my husband would prefer to move back there one day but understands how much of a better fit CA is for our family. I find it very peaceful here and just an easy place to be. It's not for everybody as you can see from reading the forums and everyone has their reasons for liking it or disliking it but it sounds to me like you are making a good decision for yourself. Good luck! Keep us posted!

Old 04-08-2015, 02:20 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,449,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hethy123 View Post
It definitely sounds like you are meant to live in CA! The first time I visited I couldn't wait to return, and I know that if I ever have to leave I'll spend my days trying to get back. I have found it to be such an easy place to live. The people are much different than NJ and it suits me better. NJ has wonderful people too, that's for sure, and my husband would prefer to move back there one day but understands how much of a better fit CA is for our family. I find it very peaceful here and just an easy place to be. It's not for everybody as you can see from reading the forums and everyone has their reasons for liking it or disliking it but it sounds to me like you are making a good decision for yourself. Good luck! Keep us posted!
What makes it easier to live in versus NJ, is a lot of it weather related? ...just curious

Old 04-08-2015, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
What makes it easier to live in versus NJ, is a lot of it weather related? ...just curious
jm1982, for me it's much gentler in LA than NJ. My days are easier and I am greeted with kindness many times throughout the day, everyday. Whether it be people greeting me when I walk into a store, holding doors and smiling, and simply being polite in general. The moms I am friendly with through my kids are also very kind and it trickles down to the kids. An example is that a child at my daughter's school was being very mean and instead of moms telling their kids to stay away they told their kids to include the child and teach them how to be nice. I experience something positive every day and I didn't when living in NJ. That's not to say people in NJ are rude or bad because they're not. Many people prefer the east coast and I understand that. My husband feels the kindess in LA to be fake and he prefers people to act real, in his words. For me, I couldn't disagree with him more but we all are entitled to our opinions. I have never felt as happy as I do living in LA. The scenery, the weather, and the people. Your post above regarding road rage is certainly true, or so I've heard. In the ten years I've lived in LA I've not experienced road rage. Life isn't perfect in LA, it's very expensive and the state funding for public schools is full of problems but I've never lived anywhere better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles